ADVERTISEMENT

2A East Semi: Wilson Memorial 82 Lee (Staunton) 52 - FINAL

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
Five minutes from introductions and the start of today's 2A East girls' semifinal game between Wilson Memorial & Lee High at Stuarts Draft.

Wilson-Lee winner plays at 4 pm tomorrow at Orange. They'll face the Clarke-Bluestone winner in the 2A East championship.

Wilson Memorial starters: Morgan Rowe, Jordan Poole, Lexi Deffenbaugh, Leara Shumate and Jordan Sondrol.

Lee High starters: Jesse Bartley, Secret Bryant, Katelyn Corbett, Sara Sabo and Peyton Hicks

This post was edited on 3/7 2:34 PM by pizzzzza

Re: 2A East Semi: Lee vs Wilson

Morgan Rowe knocks down a baseline jumper to put Wilson up 8-2 over Lee. 5:26 1Q 2A East semifinal

Wilson Memorial leads Lee 21-9 1:16 1Q

End of 1Q: Wilson Memorial 25, Lee High 9. 2A East girls' semifinals

Jordan Sondrol has 11 points for Wilson Memorial
This post was edited on 3/7 1:22 PM by pizzzzza

Wilson Memorial hasn't cooled down in the 2Q, up 31-12 over Lee High. 2A East girls' semifinals.

Wilson with 11 second-chance points so far

Wilson leads Lee 31-14 3:14 2Q 2A East girls' semifinals

Wilson hasn't scored last four times down the court, but Lee only has 2 points since then. Lee not capitalizing on opportunities.

B_g8xhIWwAAB0gf.jpg

Wilson Memorial rolling, leads Lee 42-17

Halftime: Wilson Memorial 44, Lee High 19. 2A East girls' semfinals

Wilson Memorial finished half on 11-2 run.

Winner moves on to 2A State tournament.

Jordan Sondrol has 19 points for Wilson at halftime.

Jesse Bartley leads Lee with 7 points.

Wilson Memorial 50, Lee High 23 3Q 3:57

Jordan Sondrol has 25 points, all 6 in this half

With 2:36 remaining in the 3Q, the Lady Hornets lead Lee 50-27.

End of 3Q: Wilson Memorial 58, Lee High 31.

2A East girls' semifinals

Wilson Memorial 72, Lee High 43 4Q 3:52

Jordan Sondrol to the bench. Unofficially she has 27 points.

FINAL: Wilson Memorial 82, Lee High 52.

2A East girls' semifinals

Wilson Memorial will play for the 2A East girls' championship Sunday, 4p at Orange County. Hornets will play Clarke/Bluestone winner

Wilson's Jordan Sondrol finished 3 shy of her career high with 27 points in the win over Lee. She had 25 points with 4:43 left in the 3Q.

Wilson's Jordan Poole added 13 points, while Lexi Deffenbaugh had 11 points, 7 assists & 6 steals. Morgan Rowe finished with 10 points.

Leara Shumate had 4 points and 12 rebounds in the win for Wilson Memorial.

Katelyn Corbett finished her high-school career w/ 9 points for Lee High. Good 4-year varsity career for Corbett

Jesse Bartley led Lee with 20 points. The Lee junior really played well the last part of the season

Lee sophomore Kemper Snyder added 12 points in the loss. Lee had just 2 seniors - Corbett & Armstrong - on the roster.
This post was edited on 3/7 3:27 PM by pizzzzza

Lee hit a spinning buzzsaw today

Wilson dominated every aspect of today's game. They were one step faster, more focused, one step ahead, bigger, quicker, more polished, etc, as you get the picture. At times it felt like 2 teams on different levels competing against one another. Not only were they hustling, playing as a team, being confident, and executing darn near everything to perfection-- they shot the lights out and played tough defense. Lee couldn't buy a basket outside of the paint and it seemed like Wilson knew every move the ladies made before they did it. Just a phenomenal display of team basketball, so many different players firing up shots and moving the basketball. Hard not to like the lady hornets style.

Jesse was the MVP for the Leemen in their loss, and I look for her to have an all-conference/district type of year next year, as she is aggressive, can score, defend, rebound, but most of all-- be a positive leader and if nothing else, lead by example. I look for Kemper Snyder to really take her game to the next level next year as she has lots of potential, just needs to develop her skills and be less timid. I'd like to also see some of the girls who played last year, but didn't play this year come back to the team (Ree Sterret and Liz Snyder) as we really could have used them, and hopefully Hannah Woodard will get herself together and be ready to roll next year. Secret is apparently toying with the idea of transferring to Miller School, but I feel like she needs to step into the 2 (shooting guard) role next year and let somebody else bring the ball up (when there is no full court pressure), as she is an offensive threat that has a tendency to get taken out of the game by hanging around the 3 point line. Peyton Hicks should really take her game to the next level next season as well, she has the size and the shooting touch to be a force. One of the girls on the JV team that has some potential to me is Shantell Bates. She has size and the hustle but her skills need some polishing, but I'd like to see her reach her potential. Some other key returners for next years team are Sara Sabo and Amber Johnson (who was a jv player that moved up), and I really think the lee ladies will be better next year, even though Katelynn and Skipper are graduating. When Katelynn was on, she could carry the team, but the team relied on her to shoot too much and didnt get involved in the offense, I look for the team shots to be more balanced next year, as it seemed like katelynn and secret took most of the teams shots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT