ADVERTISEMENT

4A gets a Private school

Are they going to follow the same rules? surely hope so. Ridiculous

Their schedule for this year will remain the same. LCA getting a full Seminole schedule may have to wait until next scheduling cycle which would be fall '17. Since schedules have been made for the next 2 years.

They will be eligible for the playoffs this year. Games against private schools will count the same as public schools now. Enrollment will be factored *1.5, boys only schools will also be doubled to figure out playoff points. Hypothetically, let's say LCA plays FUMA. Let's say FUMA is boys only and they have an enrollment of 350. (I don't know if they're boys only and what their enrollment is, just an hypothetical example) So 350*2=700*1.5=1050, In this example LCA would get points for playing a 3a school.

It amazes me that LCA would throw all their money at a lawsuit like this when they need to be putting their money into a program that teaches their students to not sit on railroad overpasses.

Anyone from the Roanoke/Lynchburg area knows what I'm talking about..might not like me saying it..but its true.

It also said it starts in August, how is that possible, when the schedules are already out
Maxpreps has LCA scheduled for 8 games currently. 5 against private schools, 3 pubs- Brunswick, Maury (Norfolk), & Franklin County.

Their schedule for this year will remain the same. LCA getting a full Seminole schedule may have to wait until next scheduling cycle which would be fall '17. Since schedules have been made for the next 2 years.

They will be eligible for the playoffs this year. Games against private schools will count the same as public schools now. Enrollment will be factored *1.5, boys only schools will also be doubled to figure out playoff points. Hypothetically, let's say LCA plays FUMA. Let's say FUMA is boys only and they have an enrollment of 350. (I don't know if they're boys only and what their enrollment is, just an hypothetical example) So 350*2=700*1.5=1050, In this example LCA would get points for playing a 3a school.

I had a feeling it would be a couple of years, just makes me sick. I wish VHSL would have stayed their ground on this

I hear ya, but others will jump in soon. My guess is Collegiate will follow ASAP. There is a lot of competition in the greater Richmond area for top athletes already. I think being a VHSL member will be thought of as a positive recruiting tool. Oh wait, recruiting is not permitted! Silly me.

Reactions: wikki
It also said it starts in August, how is that possible, when the schedules are already out
Will they get to play on LU's field? not fair, will they get to use LU's weight room? Will they still be able to use 5th year seniors?

Isn't FUMA considered a "boarding school"? This would make them ineligible for VHSL membership.

Wikki, VHSL rules apply. No reclassifying students after 7th (?) grade. Sit out a year from athletics if transferring for other than documented parent/legal guardian move, residentially. Yeah, I know. Bull s*#%!

Reactions: wikki
Will they get to play on LU's field? not fair, will they get to use LU's weight room? Will they still be able to use 5th year seniors?
I'm sure they will still use Liberty's field. I think they have their own weight room, but I may be wrong. The article didn't say anything about 5th year seniors, but that has to be gone for VHSL admission. Their area will be Lynchburg city. (ECG & Heritage territory) Because they chose 2 school's territories they have to multiply their enrollment by 1.5 & that's why they're 4a.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Specifically, the transfer rules apply whenever a student transfers from one member school to another, but do not apply when a student transferring to a member private school attended a non-member school (to include home school, out-of-state, and non-member private school) for at least the previous year.

Look out, non-VHSL private schools. There will be a "grab while you can" mentality by member schools. The athletes are instantly eligible to play.

I don't see where playing on LU's field makes any difference. Good Lord, look where Salem plays. How about Handley's magnicant stadium. And on and on. I wish Dinwiddie could be so fortunate. (Not really. I love mud).

I don't see where playing on LU's field makes any difference. Good Lord, look where Salem plays. How about Handley's magnicant stadium. And on and on. I wish Dinwiddie could be so fortunate. (Not really. I love mud).
Just asking a question is all. It came up last year in a post. It was because of the weight room situation more than anything. Salem's field is nowhere near LUs. it wasn't the turf but the facility with all the college level weight rooms and eminities

Yes ma'am. Not meant the way it sounded. Sorry if I sounded rude.

For sure, LU's stadium is superior to every high school field in Virginia that I'm aware of. And I can't really disagree that LCA gains an advantage from having access to this level of facilities, and to college level trainers and support staff.

But, can you imagine the excitement of beating them? Especially in a state championship game on their own field? Wow!

I bet Fuqua out of Farmville is next. They got booted out of their private school league for illegal recruiting and use of 5th year seniors.

Fuqua applying would bring a lot of questions and scrutiny, with their recent transgressions.

Agree. They didn't even wait for the school year to end. They booted Fuqua as soon as football season was over.

Yes ma'am. Not meant the way it sounded. Sorry if I sounded rude.

For sure, LU's stadium is superior to every high school field in Virginia that I'm aware of. And I can't really disagree that LCA gains an advantage from having access to this level of facilities, and to college level trainers and support staff.

But, can you imagine the excitement of beating them? Especially in a state championship game on their own field? Wow!
One things is for sure, I will not every cheer for them. How will this affect the State Championship game now if they happen to make it? They definitely should not be allowed to play at LU

Yea Wikki, this cements my hatred for all things LU.

I used to be indifferent towards that place, but then I made the mistake of attending church there a time or two.. Jerry spent most of the time letting us know we need to give give give more money. I was not impressed with the people at all.

And now this? Why is a school that loves to let you know how Christian-y they are going to spend $$$$ on a lawsuit over...high school football???? That money could have gone to so much better use. Makes you wonder where the priorities truly are at this "religious" school.

Sickening.

LCA has their own weight room. One positive thing about this, is maybe it will encourage public schools to improve their facilities. Some have downright poor facilities.
And hopefully some of the standards at LCA will rub off onto public schools.

I hear ya, but others will jump in soon. My guess is Collegiate will follow ASAP. There is a lot of competition in the greater Richmond area for top athletes already. I think being a VHSL member will be thought of as a positive recruiting tool. Oh wait, recruiting is not permitted! Silly me.

Wouldn't surprise me if the next jumpers are in Lynchburg area. Quite a few an some with ties to liberty. Temple Christian in madison heights, timerlake Christian, Appomattox Christian, then there's holy cross an VES (not sure might be a boarding school). There's few other's but those are the ones I know have sports.

I understand everyone's gripe! Pretty sure they have their own weight room and Liberty University and Liberty Christian Academy are not as close as some of you all think. My perspective is that if they recruit and "x" player wants to go there them let them. They aren't doing any favors to their high school or coach if they don't really want to be there. High school programs should be set up to where kids don't want to leave. Meaning a great relationship with their coach and teammates. I know there are exceptions. There are always going to be players that think they should be playing in a different position or not like the playing time they are getting at the high school they attend. I say bring it!

Reactions: DEVILSLB99
Recruiting has been alive and well in VHSL for several years. I personally know of athletes who were recruited by one school to another. Most of the time, it's been AAU coaches coordinating and handling the recruiting process, but not always.
I know of one recruiting deal that would make any college coach proud.

I don't think those smaller Christian schools around Lynchburg will want to join VHSL.
According to the Times Roanoke Catholic would like to join the VHSL. It probably won't happen till next fall. They will do it if they are 1a because it will cut back on travel expenses. Also they usually have a pretty good basketball team so they may be doing it as much for basketball as any other sport. It's easier to get 5-12 good kids for basketball than it is to get 30-45 good football players.

LCA has their own weight room. One positive thing about this, is maybe it will encourage public schools to improve their facilities. Some have downright poor facilities.
And hopefully some of the standards at LCA will rub off onto public schools.
I think most schools would love to upgrade their weight room, money is truly an issue. Amherst has a nice weight room but surely not the college level by any means

I'm sure they'll play by the rules. "With a wink an a nod"
I hope so at least they will in the beginning but I bet you they will find something to complain about and they will win that also, or find a way to get what they want.

I understand everyone's gripe! Pretty sure they have their own weight room and Liberty University and Liberty Christian Academy are not as close as some of you all think. My perspective is that if they recruit and "x" player wants to go there them let them. They aren't doing any favors to their high school or coach if they don't really want to be there. High school programs should be set up to where kids don't want to leave. Meaning a great relationship with their coach and teammates. I know there are exceptions. There are always going to be players that think they should be playing in a different position or not like the playing time they are getting at the high school they attend. I say bring it!
I know that one player did not want to go there but parents made him. Why all of a sudden would a top player from one school transfer the final year to LCA? One thing I will agree with you on, the players have to have a great relationship with their coach, if not, they will look elsewhere.

This Private school playing in the same league as public schools is not a new idea...it's just new to Virginia. Anyone who thinks it will just be LCA participating you are mistaken...most if not all join in soon enough. A lot of those private schools will specialize one or two sports programs. With that said, they should all be classified based on total number of students enrolled. Just my two cents.

ADVERTISEMENT