ADVERTISEMENT

6A board REAL quiet. Some intriguing matchups still across the board

T

TBone

Starting off with Cox at Oscar Smith. I'm feeling like Cox might be Smith's toughest test outside of BTW(Miami) this year. When's the last time you saw Cox THROWING the ball? Something special over there. Same time, Smith seems to be hitting on all gears despite losing Sweat in the beginning.

Is 6A just not that exciting?

I don't know much about the teams in the South regional, but this is my take on the four 6A games in the north:

Centreville-Patriot: Patriot will probably score some, but not enough to counter how much Centreville will run all over their defense.
Westfield-Chantilly: I heard after the fact that Chantilly might not have had all their starters two weeks ago (a Westfield shutout of Chantilly). If true, they may be able to keep the game more respectable but Westfield should win.
Lake Braddock-West Springfield: West Springfield caught Lake Braddock earlier this year, but that was just after the injuries to Alexander and Lee. I don't think Lake Braddock gets upset again in this game.
Battlefield-South County: Battlefield's defense is more than what South County is used to seeing, and that should play out for this game. Like the Centreville-Patriot game, this could be a high scoring affair, but I see Battlefield controlling the South County offense.

This post was edited on 11/18 1:51 PM by falcettik

The boards are quiet because the matchups are pretty simple. Smith will come out of the South and Centreville will come out of the North. Unless there are some major upsets this is your State Championship matchup. NOW the discussion on that matchup should be epic! After what Centreville did to Smith last year Smith has to want this rematch.

Wow!! Pretty confident on that one. Ocean lakes will give OS a run for their money. As far as Cville ( of which I am a supporter of) still has a lot of work ahead of them. First they need to get all players healthy. And win three more games!! All against teams that can beat them on any night.

Whichever 757 team gets the winner of Cosby vs. James River will win big. Dale vs. Colonial Forge will provide the only hope for a title from the South-West, but I think all the smart money is on Ocean Lakes or Oscar Smith.

Originally posted by GilliamRatings:
Whichever 757 team gets the winner of Cosby vs. James River will win big. Dale vs. Colonial Forge will provide the only hope for a title from the South-West, but I think all the smart money is on Ocean Lakes or Oscar Smith.
If Ocean Lakes wins, they host the Cosby vs. James River winner, no matter what

easy match ups 757 6A

Smith over Cox 35 - 21

Ocean Lakes over Kecoughtan 38 - 7

Olftimer I am confident that Centreville will be the North representative. With AJ Turner back, soon to be playing in all phases of the game, Centreville will beat Patriot, then South County, then Westfield for the North Championship. You say you are a fan, do you not think they will win it all?

Just as important as AJ is Charles Tutt, who gives Centreville a vertical threat on offense and a shutdown corner on defense. If Tutt plays the second half against Westfield, Centreville wins that game easily. When Centreville plays Westfield again you will have Tutt and Turner in the Defensive backfield. You think that might make a little difference? The loss of Tyler Love at Linebacker is big but can be covered up easier than the loss of a shutdown corner where Westfield threw for 3 touchdowns in the second half. With Turner, Tutt, and Nickens-Yzer matched up against Westfield receivers Centreville can stack the box to stop Gray and pressure Scoville. I think every Virginia high school football fan would like to see a Centreville vs Smith State Championship rematch. I am confident it is going to happen.

For as much as I would like for it to happen, like the rest of you I do not see Patriot beating Centreville. Their defense is probably going to have serious trouble slowing down Boose, Turner, Tutt & co. Patriot will simply have to be as sharp as they have been at any point this season on offense in order to answer back when Centreville scores to have a shot at outscoring them. I also think Patriot will have to get as many players involved as possible as Centreville will probably scheme to make sure a lot of attention is paid on Matthews so he doesn't break any long receptions since he is their big-play guy.

I like this match-up though. I think it will go somewhat similar to the Cville/Stonewall game last year. Patriot may be able match Cville in the first half with scores to keep it close but in the second half Cville will pull away.

Centreville 55
Patriot 34

I'm not too sure what to expect out of Battlefield and South County, other than that it should be a great game. I only saw Battlefield once this year and have not seen South County, but I think Battlefield has the defense to slow down a high scoring team like South County just enough to get them past this game.

Battlefield 35
South County 29

Originally posted by UJoking:
OI think every Virginia high school football fan would like to see a Centreville vs Smith State Championship rematch. I am confident it is going to happen.
Yawn.
rolleye0011.r191677.gif
Not me. We already watched Oscar Smith run track & field against the Wildcats in 2011 and Centreville returned the favor last year dominating Oscar Smith. I would not complain if it happened again, it would just go to show how dominant these two teams have been and continue to be, but I'd rather see at least one of those teams out of it before the state final rolls around. Something like Westfield / Oscar Smith, Centreville / Ocean Lakes, or Westfield / Ocean Lakes.

It sounds like some of you are favoring Oscar Smith over Ocean Lakes but with the way the season has panned out I think it is Ocean Lakes turn for the 6A south title. Although it might be easier for me to pick the team that has the players who say "nobody in the state can beat us".
glasses.r191677.gif

Centreville and Patriot - simple comparison and statistics

Common Opponents

Patriot 43
Stonewall Jackson 21

Centreville 56
Stonewall Jackson 14

Rushing

Centreville
Taylor Boose 133 carries for 1161 yards = 8.7 yards per carry
Kyle Richbourg 82 carries for 699 yards = 8.5 yards per carry
Xavier Nicken-Yzer 37 carries for 441 yards = 11.9 yards per carry

Patriot
Jake Caparelli 174 carries for 1168 yards = 6.7 yards per carry
JB Thompson 111 carries for 670 yards = 6.0 yards per carry
Izaiah Eaves 57 carries for 273 yards = 4.8 yards per carry

Passing

Centreville
Joe Ferrick
84.8 QB Rating
98-53 for 913 yards and 11 TDs

Patriot
Cody Agnew
91.48 QB Rating
276-178 for 2,595 yards and 27 TDs

Receiving

Centreville
Charles Tutt - 15 catches for 347 yards and 5 TDs - 23.1 yards per catch
Taylor Boose - 11 catches for 94 yards and 0 TDs - 8.5 yards per catch
David Little - 10 catches for 181 yards and 4 TDs - 18.1 yards per catch
Jake Behne - 5 catches for 104 yards and 0 TDs - 20.8 yards per catch
Kyle Richbourg - 4 catches for 124 yards and 2 TDs - 31.0 yards per catch

Patriot
Nick Matthews - 99 catches for 1,558 yards and 18 TDs - 15.7 yards per catch
Corey Coyne - 24 catches for 413 yards and 3 TDs - 17.2 yards per catch
Elijah McKnight - 22 catches for 260 yards and 1 TD - 11.8 yards per catch
Robby Owens - 10 catches for 113 yards and 1 TD - 11.3 yards per catch

VHSL Ranking

#3 Centreville (9-2) 103.1 rating 77.5 SOS 390 PF 139 PA
#18 Patriot (9-2) 87.4 rating 67.3 SOS 407 PF 272 PA

SOS = Strength of Schedule
PF = Points for
PA = Points against

Summary

Centreville and Patriot are ranked #3 and #18 in Virginia, respectively, according to VHSL. Centreville played a stronger schedule (77.5 SOS for Centreville, 67.3 SOS for Patriot). Patriot passed about three times as much as Centreville did. Both teams scored about evenly during the season (390 points for Centreville, 407 points for Patriot). The difference is in the defense - Patriot gave up almost twice as many points as Centreville did - Centreville gave up 139 points while Patriot gave up 272 points. Patriot's two losses were to CD Hylton (who gave up 128 points) and Battlefield (who gave up 121 points). Centreville's two losses were to Gonzaga (a private school in DC) and #2 Westfield (in two overtimes).

OK Gursky, we now know who you want in the finals, and I am obviously pulling for a rematch of last years finals. What do the rest of you think? Do you want a rematch of last years final, with all the intrigue that it brings OR do you want some new blood in the game?

All I know is a rematch of Centreville and Smith will not be a yawner! You may not want that matchup, BUT you know it will deliver a great game with high powered offenses and renewed strategy from previous matchups. Hard for me to understand Smith saying "nobody in the state can beat us" after the Championship beat down they got last year. These are of course new teams with some different players but the nucleuses and Coaches are the same.

Originally posted by UJoking:
All I know is a rematch of Centreville and Smith will not be a yawner! You may not want that matchup, BUT you know it will deliver a great game with high powered offenses and renewed strategy from previous matchups. Hard for me to understand Smith saying "nobody in the state can beat us" after the Championship beat down they got last year. These are of course new teams with some different players but the nucleuses and Coaches are the same.
Yeah true, I don't think the game itself would be a bore. I did thoroughly enjoy seeing Centreville run past Oscar Smith last year.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Would just rather not see this turn into a Stone Bridge - Phoebus like annual meeting at the state championship. If they did rematch again this year you would have to think it would be a much closer game than the previous two meetings.

Oh and that quote came from an Ocean Lakes player in an article I read. Confidence must be brewing down there in the beach and I feel like since they stumbled in the playoffs last year against Colonial Forge they have really been playing to get back to the state championship and not come up short again this year.

I did not know if you had heard, Nick Mathews now holds the VHSL record for total receptions 228 (three varsity seasons) and single season receptions 99

Centreville is good, really good, the way their O-Line can pull and get out in front of the play is impressive...and they have the skill players too.--- I was just posting Mathews' stats because BlueFan seems to be into that sort of thing and those are pretty significant records to hold I think, interestingly Coach Bicknell's other player who holds an all time season record, was a RB. Takeem Hedgemann "Single Season Rushing" TDs 51 or 52 (2007)? Coach will run it like crazy too if he has the personnel to do it...

Matthews a great receiver, he should at least be holding offers from ODU, Richmond, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT