ADVERTISEMENT

Amherst schedule?

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
Wikki, after Salem who does Amherst play OOD? I assume GW stays, so just 2 other games out of the Seminole. Any idea on what Amherst returns and how they'll stack up in the Seminole?

GW Schedule

8/15
SCRIMMAGE AT HIGH POINT CENTRAL
8/21 BENEFIT AT DAN RIVER
8/28 AT ATHENS DR NC (NEAR RALEIGH WILL COUNT AS A 5)
9/4 CHARLOTTE VANCE (PROB WILL COUNT AS A 6)
9/11 GLASS
DISTRICT
9/25 AT FC
10/2 AT TUNSTALL
10/9 PATRICK CO
10/16 AT MARTINSVILLE
10/23 AT BASSETT
10/30 HALIFAX
11/06 MAGNA VISTA

Courtland Schedule

If schedules are going out there, thought I'd toss one in for my Blue Boys.

SCRIMMAGES

MOUNTAIN VIEW -Home- August 13 -- 6:30 pm

NORTH STAFFORD -Away- August 20 -- 6:30 pm
SEASON

8/27 MASSAPONAX (H)

9/4 RIVERBEND (A)

9/11 LOUISA (H)

9/18 FAUQUIER (A)
10/2 LIBERTY (H)

10/9 CHANCELLOR (H)

10/16 SPOTSYLVANIA (A)

10/23 KING GEORGE (A)

10/30 JAMES MONROE (H)

11/6 CAROLINE (A)

Obviously, no undefeated season here. Ponax, Riverbend, Louisa, Liberty, Chancellor and James Monroe. Just another good year that goes battle tested into the playoffs. Despite the system, tradition and talent they return, it will be awfully tough to get far playing in the new East. GL to them in 2015.

Re: Courtland Schedule

I'm curious about something. Scheduling teams out of state. I can understand the need when your locality benefits logistically. Border town type situations, for instance. Or limited teams in a geographically that you can schedule.

And marquee matchups. But is there any other benefit that can be gained? I guess when there is no reason not to, that's a benefit in itself?

August 28 Salem
September 4 Okeecchobee HS (ESPN complex in Florida)
September 18 Rockbridge
September 25 Glass
October 2 Liberty
October 9 Brookville
October 16 Jefferson Forest
October 23 Heritage
October 30 Rustburg
November 6 Appomattox

I was curious and looked up Okeechobee HS. I see they have only won 3 games in the last two years.

They are Class 6a under FL's system. I wonder how that equates to our VHSL classes?

Also curious how this matchup came to be?

Not sure, will find out. The team is working hard raising the money. They will have a good experience and a fun time.

Not sure, several teams will be playing during this event. It could have been any team from another state, this is just who scheduled them. This is more of a great opportunity and experience for the players. There will be teams from Georgia and other states.

Re: Courtland Schedule-Playoffs

With Conference 19's move to the 4A East, Courtland and Eastern View (as well possibly others) will be competing on the other side of 4A for the playoffs. When people are doing what ifs in weeks 8,9, and 10 you will see Conference 19's results mostly affecting only Conf 19 schools with respect to rider points. In more dense areas with multiple conferences a game will affect multiple schools rider point's. Conf 19 schools do not play many Conf 17, 18, and 20 schools.

Okeechobee has about 1,650 students in grades 10-12 which would make them a 5A school in the VHSL. The freshmen attend a different campus for some reason. Not sure if freshmen participate in varsity sports or not.

Thanks Vol. That's going to be a novel experience for the kids. With the weak record of Okeechobee, I'd say Amherst stands a decent chance of coming home with a victory.

I checked back on last year's roster for Okeechobee and they show a few freshmen on the roster. The roster only had 35 players listed, but Maxpreps is only as accurate as what is submitted to them. You would expect to see about 65 on more on a team from a school with this number of students.

Should Amhest be a little better this year?

Yea, I would definitely expect more kids on the roster too with that many students but then again, nobody wants to be a part of a losing program.

As far as Amherst being better this year, they should be. They return a few skill players plus their JV team only had two losses and they came against a 9-1 EC Glass Jv and 10-0 JF Jv.

Side note: Amherst's B team (middle school) was undefeated last season too.

Definitely should be this year, have had great JV and Middle school records for the last few years now, it is time and I believe in them
This post was edited on 4/8 8:34 PM by wikki

Sounds like Salem Amherst will be a good game. Salem will have new faces all over the field. Some have Varsity experience, but a good number will only have JV experience to this point. The biggest question marks will be in the passing game both offensively and defensively. New QB, new WR's, and they will have to replace most of the secondary. Year round practice and lifting will help but Amherst should be a much tougher first game challenge than Franklin Co. was.

4-1. The games they won were by big margins and the only loss was to JF by 1. It went into extra innings. The contenders for the district is Amherst, JF and Rustburg. Should be for a good year

We are 1 - 2. Weather has been giving us a fit. Double header today had to be postponed. New coach this year. They have been putting in the work, but the weather has really been a disruption to any consistantly on field practice. Not sure how this season will play out. But way down the road there seems to be some special talent coming through the middle school and lower grades.

Congratulations on the great start. I hope you can get out to most of the games.

How about your team Mike? Are the Spartans off to a good start?

Honestly, DP I'd be more likely to show up at a lacrosse match than a baseball game. I generally follow football in the fall, basketball and wrestling in the winter, and lax in the spring. I used to love baseball up until I hit high school and then I started losing interest in it unfortunately. I believe Salem is 2-6 this year, so not a great start. Salem is known for football and to a lesser degree basketball, I don't think other sports have been nearly as successful.

Re: Courtland Schedule-Playoffs

Thanks for that post. It made me take a good look at the East possibilities. Not as bad as I thought for the blue berries. Seeding will be important here but with their schedule, i don't see it as being very high. I like this in my Football team. If they get there, they will have earned every bit of it. What makes me love them is they choose the hard road, exceed expectationsa and do it every year. No team has proved me wrong so often. GL in 2015.

I understand. My interest has waned somewhat too. Mine mostly because I don't seem to know the families and kids as much as I used to.

I'm excited about the growth of lax in high schools. Dinnwidie hasn't started a program yet, but I'm hopeful it won't be too many more years.

Our baseball and softball fields are adjoining, and admission to one gets you into both. I find the girls more exciting than the boys. I think they play with more shear passion.

Shaunty will be proud of me. I watched the women's world cup friendly last weekend. I really enjoyed it. It's not real football but it will do. (Just kidding Shaunty).

My wife played field hockey for Dinwiddie way back in the late 70's. That's a sport that has really started to fall off of the landscape. I'm sure lax has replaced it in many programs.

I wonder if the NFHS sanctions cricket? Now that would be a novel program.

This post was edited on 4/10 1:03 PM by DinwiddieProud

I was told Amherst was playing saint cloud high school in fl, not that team you posted. Was told by a parent that has a kid on the team

I just got the schedule the other night from the AD and that is the team that is on the schedule

We have a bye that night, We are not playing Lake Taylor

Ive been told by a few parents and a few of this years player for amherst that the line is going be very big this year. the big suprise was the kids talking up this Anderson kid that is related to Kirby Anderson, they say he might be this years QB. They said he has a big time arm,but has been play WR the last few years but he played QB all the way threw youth football till he got to jv wear he moved to WR. They say hes fast.Come to find out I work with his dad, he said hes also related to Peter Rose. Sounds like this kid has a great blood line.

Dont know much about him,only what ive been told. A couple kids and parents that i work with say he was playing wrong position but was trying real hard. But for some reason he quit last year no one knows why. But i hear the kids are really ready to follow him ,that hes well liked.Thats all I know. I work with his father and I asked him why he quit and he really didnt say much. I asked him did it have anything to with the coach and he said NO that he liked the coach. It was a personal matter,

Kids must be different now-a-days because waay back when, I would have never followed a kid that quit the previous year nor would I be talking him up, but I am different than most. I've been on this board for a while and remember post about this Rose/Anderson bloodline since this kid was in little league and I guess he has never reached his full potential. Blame coaches or whoever but if he is that fast and arm that great with Amherst's recent struggles you would think he would be the starter. Good Luck to the Lancers this upcoming year. Will try and keep up with their season as well as others.

Originally posted by coachmartinrocks:
Kids must be different now-a-days because waay back when, I would have never followed a kid that quit the previous year nor would I be talking him up, but I am different than most. I've been on this board for a while and remember post about this Rose/Anderson bloodline since this kid was in little league and I guess he has never reached his full potential. Blame coaches or whoever but if he is that fast and arm that great with Amherst's recent struggles you would think he would be the starter. Good Luck to the Lancers this upcoming year. Will try and keep up with their season as well as others.
Prime example of the dangers of hailing a kid the next this or the next that before they even step on a varsity field!

DEVILS SO TRUE! I asked the same thing. I was told by his dad that he made a mistake starting him in school a year early that he should only been in 10 grade last year. I asked some other people about him and they said he looked like he had lost the fire he had when he played QB in youth football but he had a pretty good year on jv in 10 grade at corner and WR. Almost forgot his dad said he had did great at a richmond camp last summer at WR. But thats not on the field. sound to me the kid has the talent the coach needs to set fire under him and push it out of him were ever he decides to play him and kids are different these days. Brookvilles first state was won with a QB that quit his freshman year. Its how you finish that defines you. These are kids people are way to hard on them for making one mistake. Think how many mistakes did we all make when we were in high school. Hope the kid has a great year , well hope the hole team has a great year.

wikki

wikki the only thing different with this kid quiting , is those other kids quit because for some reason they got mad at the coach.This kids dad said thats not the case with this kid that he had a personal issue at home that is now fixed. His father is a nice guy and coached him all way till jv he had nothing to say about coach moving his boy to wr from QB, all he said was he respects coach he had to have had his reasons but he did think it took some of the kids fire away.

ADVERTISEMENT