ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance at 2019 VHSL tournament

Dec 10, 2005
This is the first year in maybe 30 years, that I did not go to a single basketball game in any district, regional, or state tournament. I'm pretty sure I would be correct in saying traditionally, the VHSL basketball championships are held the same weekend as the power college conference tournament championships. There was no conflict with VCU having regular season basketball games since they were occupied with the A10 tournament...or even the CAA .....when it was up the street at the Coliseum.

Since the games have been played for the last decade and a half....maybe longer.....at the Seigel Center, Friday and Saturday championship games usually were a full house. Sometimes they even had to turn away fans. Was curious how it was this year since it meant the Class 3-4-5-6 schools had to play midweek championship finals?

Attendance the same or down?

Now they rotate who has the Saturday finals. This year is Class 1 and 2. It is also a crap shoot as to who makes it to the finals. Nova brings lots of fans as well as local teams. This year the 757 had lots of teams make it. That is good for quality play but bad for attendance. For some reason they do not travel well. Class 4 was excellent, lots of folk came over from Louisa and Danville. Extra props to all the folks from Pulaski County who drove 4 hours to get here.

BTW: the fact that one year they had to turn away fans, in part, prompted the change.

Attendance has been down since they expanded to six classes. Last year's McClung Mania was probably the best crowd they've had since the expansion but sellouts are not really a concern anymore.

You're right. And it's down across the board. Regional tournaments are a shadow of their former selves too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT