ADVERTISEMENT

Bishop Sullivan Catholic 41 First Flight 14

Keith_Stone33

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 30, 2013
This game was a tale of two teams on opposite ends of the spectrum... BSC is LOADED with talent and athletes, while FF has kids with lots of heart and fight in them. Even though this game was competitive for most of the first half, everybody knew that BSC was going to be too much for the Nighthawks. First Flight has the biggest high school band I have seen in a long time, with roughly 80 members, including 1 guitarist, and they have a nice facility on the home side (visitor's side needs expansion), as well as a very supportive fanbase (the home bleachers/standing areas were packed) and you can tell they have a lot of pride in their school, which was truly great to see, for a team that really doesn't look like a contender. They scored 14 points on BSC, but 7 came on a fake FG, and the last 7 came in the final minute against the 2s.

Key players for BSC:
Sr. QB #8 Blake Larussa: made so many big plays in the game and reminds me Russell Wilson... He plays very similar to him as he has the ability to keep plays alive with his feet, has a solid arm, makes smart decisions, and is always looking downfield while feeling the pass rush. I was VERY impressed with him. His poise in the pocket is rare for high school. I don't know how many times he turned a broken play into something positive, but you always trusted that he would make a good play. He turned 1 broken play into a touchdown on 4th down (I think it was 4th down).

Sr. CB/WR/R #1 George Wahee: the best athlete on the field in that game as he excelled on offense, defense and special teams. Every time he touched the ball he was bound to take it to the house. He picked off 1 or 2 passes (maybe had a pick 6 on one), ran a punt return for about a 90 yard TD, and caught a couple passes that went for long gains or touchdowns. First flight had nobody that could match up with him, he was too big, too athletic, and too fast. Kid is a stud. Honestly, if they had played with 12 men and used 2 DBs double team him or jam him off the ball I don't think it would have made a difference. Someone told me he was a transfer from Norfolk Christian.

Sr. RB #24 Kevin Hicks: the best every down running back I have seen in quite a while. FF could not tackle him. On some plays, he would have to avoid a defender as soon as he got the handoff and he just shook them off. It's like the FF defenders couldn't get a good shot on him, or like he was just slippery and they couldn't get both hands on him. He broke so many tackles, and it wasn't like he was running people over or juking them out of their shoes, they were just sliding off of him. He had a number of long gains (some called back) and a handful of touchdowns. He has some wheels on him too, so once he gets in the open field, he is likely gone, just like #1. If he played in an Augusta county wing-t, double wing system and played an average of 3 quarters per game, I think he would have over 2000 yards in the vhsl REGULAR season, he is that good. Also heard he transferred from Norfolk Christian.

JR OL/DL #78 Devonta Townsend: he is a big, intimidating lineman, and he was able to play both ways for most of the night. One play in particular he blocked his man about 10 yards backwards. ALSO heard he transferred in from Norfolk Christian.

There are many other players who could be listed as key or impact performers, but I will keep it to 4.

Bishop is one of the best teams I have seen in quite some time and that could either be because they are THAT good, or because their competition was not overly talented, but FF is a school with between 800-900 kids so they would be a 3A vhsl school. Bishop has so many great athletes... as well as size... as well as players with a high football IQ and that is a scary combination. I hope one of the BSC fans lets us know where some of their seniors end up playing their college ball, because they definitely have some college level talent.

Areas for improvement

While Bishop Sullivan is a very good team, they need to cut back on the penalties and improve their special teams play, kickoffs and extra points weren't their strong point. Granted, they had a kickoff or two go into the endzone for a touchback, but for the most part, FF produced solid returns and earned favorable field position most of the time. Also, the PATs need to be improved upon as they almost got blocked a few times, and 1 was missed. There is a lot that goes into a pat, from center/holder/kicker, so I'm not sure where the problem is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT