Northumberland

Eastside
Northumberland

Northumberland

Reactions: uvacavs1
Just looked it over for a few minutes-

Eastside, GW, Northumberland, Lancaster

Eastside and Northumberland advance to VCU

Northumberland wins (or Lancaster wins if LHS beats NHS in semis)

imo, only Radford could/would have stopped the Indians or Devils this year

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Question - (if both NND teams win) why do Northumberland and Lancaster have to play each other in the semis?

For years, Region and district winners were at the opposite ends of the brackets so they would not to have knock each other out? I assume location and travel are the culprits?

Also, Riverheads will destroy Lancaster - oh I'm sorry, I was thinking football, just the opposite in this sport....if incorrect, I will have no problem admitting it.

Cumberland will battle NHS for awhile, but assuming the referees are from a neutral referee association all should be good. WRAR will be there to report on the game (no more Franklin ref fiascoes please).

Question - (if both NND teams win) why do Northumberland and Lancaster have to play each other in the semis?

For years, Region and district winners were at the opposite ends of the brackets so they would not to have knock each other out? I assume location and travel are the culprits?

Also, Riverheads will destroy Lancaster - oh I'm sorry, I was thinking football, just the opposite in this sport....if incorrect, I will have no problem admitting it.

Cumberland will battle NHS for awhile, but assuming the referees are from a neutral referee association all should be good. WRAR will be there to report on the game (no more Franklin ref fiascoes please).

It must be travel and money issues. For years ONLY in the quarters did you have higher seeds host. Then Semis and finals were at VCU. Also, as you stated, for year, same district teams never faced each other until finals.
On a positive note,
If both NND teams win- then the NND will be assured of having a team in the finals.

Yes that is the bright side, as long as both beat Region B, the local area is guaranteed a spot at VCU.

I was hoping we would have a chance to experience an all Neck party at VCU...

Yes, I was debating the other day with someone about the Final Four at VCU. I was like I am fairly sure I've watched some semis games at VCU. Must be a recent change.

Now, got to win the games, of course, ..the few West teams that I have seen in this sport have all had excellent coaches and the teams have played with focused discipline and superb fundamentals.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Yes that is the bright side, as long as both beat Region B, the local area is guaranteed a spot at VCU.

I was hoping we would have a chance to experience an all Neck party at VCU...

Yes, I was debating the other day with someone about the Final Four at VCU. I was like I am fairly sure I've watched some semis games at VCU. Must be a recent change.

Now, got to win the games, of course, ..the few West teams that I have seen in this sport have all had excellent coaches and the teams have played with focused discipline and superb fundamentals.

This is the state tourney. All 8 teams are quality. Its fun to think about the NND success...but nothing is given. The indians and devils need to play the game they've played all year. Good defense, don't take bad shots, and get some great coaching from two of the best.

At least we dont' have to travel to Bristol again this year. Thats another plus. No offense Bristol. Its a lovely place....but its a horrendous drive from here.

Good luck everyone!!!

I had the same question as you guys. Of course I thought about it in slightly a different way, such as.......If Riverheads were to beat Lancaster and Cumberland were to beat Northumberland, would we have to go to Cumberland again for the semis? But of course the basic question is the same.

I am pretty sure you guys are correct in what you are saying and if so, it should not be that way. The playoffs were ALWAYS run in such a way that if two teams from the same district, or certainly the same region, were to keep advancing, then there would be cross-bracketing so that they would not have to play each other until the championship game. Or to put it another way, steps were taken to allow two teams from the same district to prove to the rest of the state that they were better than everybody else.

The best personal example I can give goes back to 2004 when Riverheads and Altavista played for the state title at VCU. Both were obviously in Region
B. Altavista beat us for the Region B title, and then in the state quarters, we played W and L, the Region A champ, and Altavista played the Region A runner-up. We each won those games, and the semis were played at VCU. We played Twin Springs from Region D and Altavista played whatever other team had come out of C/D. When we won those two games, we then played once again for the title.

As for the question of semis still being played at VCU, they were until VERY recently. In fact I would have guessed that they still played the semis there as recently as 2-3 years ago, or heck maybe even last year. I have been to quite a few semi-final games there. Even some quarter-finals were held there when VCU was chosen as a supersite.

But given this year's changes, it does indeed sound as if only one of your teams will have a shot at making it to VCU, as opposed to both of you having the chance to do it. I can't blame you guys for being frustrated about it because it would be a heck of a day for you if it came down to that.

It's always sad when the semi involves the top two teams. They are just trying to protect the ticket revenue by matching A/B & B/C at "neutral" sites.

Let me speak on this: I feel we are in the present circumstances because the VHSL is apparently hell bent on at least having all championship games in both genders at the same venue at the same time. I've advocated starting girls season a week early and play the semis and finals at VCU one week and the boys semis and finals there the next week.
Unfortunately, some of the recent decisions seemed nonsensical like playing all semis and finals Monday through Friday and then the ridiculous travel for quarters and semis last year.
I know the western schools have travel issues on the state level, but at 1A other than VCU for basketball and volleyball schools in eastern Va have to travel to Salem (football, wrestling) and Radford (baseball, softball, soccer and at one time track and field).

And I'm not so certain if any Region A or Region B team will be able to handle the size advantage that Eastside brings to the floor.

You may be right about Eastside - I think I saw that they have a record of 23-2. They play good, smart ball passing it around well and dropping the threes at will.

Also, Eastside has got that Luke Lawson kid (#14 I think) who can dunk and ally-oop all day.

Definitely gonna be tough to whoever meets them...(at least its at VCU and not out way West).

Another thing, Eastside has played in those VCU type of gyms recently.

Be thankful for that early DC (Wizards) experience if NHS makes it. Wise.

Eastside has two guys with size. One 6'7" and the other 6'8". I think they returned the entire team from last year who lost to Essex in the state quarterfinals by 3,if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: LHS4Lyfe
This is the state tourney. All 8 teams are quality. Its fun to think about the NND success...but nothing is given. The indians and devils need to play the game they've played all year. Good defense, don't take bad shots, and get some great coaching from two of the best.

At least we dont' have to travel to Bristol again this year. Thats another plus. No offense Bristol. Its a lovely place....but its a horrendous drive from here.

Good luck everyone!!!

So, did you prefer the drive to Wise the year before that? Lol. At least the drive to Bristol was all interstate and 4 lane I am sure, plus Wise is another hour farther. I am sure that is why this format is like this, this year. The East folks simply are more boisterous and complain more about coming to deep SWVA than us folks complain about going East.

You may be right about Eastside - I think I saw that they have a record of 23-2. They play good, smart ball passing it around well and dropping the threes at will.

Also, Eastside has got that Luke Lawson kid (#14 I think) who can dunk and ally-oop all day.

Definitely gonna be tough to whoever meets them...(at least its at VCU and not out way West).

Another thing, Eastside has played in those VCU type of gyms recently.

Be thankful for that early DC (Wizards) experience if NHS makes it. Wise.

Eastside has not lost to a VHSL team all season. Their 3 losses are to two 4A teams from Tennessee and a team from the Bahamas. They defeated Graham by around 25 in a benefit game early in the season. Although Graham had just come off of the football loss to end their season a few days before, but still an impressive win nonetheless.

Eastside has two guys with size. One 6'7" and the other 6'8". I think they returned the entire team from last year who lost to Essex in the state quarterfinals by 3,if I'm not mistaken.

You are correct.

So, did you prefer the drive to Wise the year before that? Lol. At least the drive to Bristol was all interstate and 4 lane I am sure, plus Wise is another hour farther. I am sure that is why this format is like this, this year. The East folks simply are more boisterous and complain more about coming to deep SWVA than us folks complain about going East.

Eastside has not lost to a VHSL team all season. Their 3 losses are to two 4A teams from Tennessee and a team from the Bahamas. They defeated Graham by around 25 in a benefit game early in the season. Although Graham had just come off of the football loss to end their season a few days before, but still an impressive win nonetheless.

You are correct.

I guess it must be a lot farther to drive from Richmond to Wise than it is to drive from Wise to Richmond.

Reactions: swva_havok_fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT