ADVERTISEMENT

Calling a Time Out (NCAA)

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
I saw the following play in a game over the weekend. A player gets hurt, but no official noticed it, only a team mate saw the injured player down on floor and realized she was hurt. the team mate called a TO, which the official granted. later it was changed to a "injury TO", and the called TO was wiped off. was this correct call ?

HR, I just talked to an NCAA official who said this is how he would have handled it. The reason the TO was called was not for any competitive reason, it was to halt play because of an injury. While it's odd none of the officials saw the player, it's not unheard of. Once the determination was made that the TO was due to injury it would not be charged to the team. As this officials said, "Common sense has to prevail."

On the football field if a player called TO because of an injured teammate, and I found out that was the reason for teh TO, I would certainly not charge the ream.

So in football since you wouldn't charge the team with the TO how does that affect the clock? Return to previous condition once ready for play whistle is blown?

How the previous play ended would determine whether the clock starts or not.

Same as any other TO for injury. If it was running, I start it. If it wasn't, I don't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT