ADVERTISEMENT

Changes I'd like to see in 2A East (also in boys forum)

Keith_Stone33

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 30, 2013
I'll just say that I am not opposed to the 16 team bracket, but this year's playoff has been a nightmare trying to get all the games played, especially for 2A east. Someone said in another thread that if games go according to plan the games will go Saturday, regional championship on Sunday, then state semi on Monday.

If the East goes to the 8 team playoff that most other regions have gone to, this is what I'd like to see. Play a conference regular season schedule. Whoever wins the conference regular season clinches the top seed for their conference. Whoever wins the conference tournament gets the #2 seed (if same team wins the regular season/tournament, the tournament runner-up gets the 2 seed). Make the regular season mean something, and give a hot team a shot in the tourney.

If teams still wanted to play a district schedule they could do so pre-conference, it would just limit your scheduling of out of conference or out of district games. If you chose to play a district and conference schedule you would still only play your conference/district opponents twice in regular season, so no need for Wilson to schedule current district and conference opponent Riverheads 4 times, simply play twice.

Another option for big districts that want to keep their old rivalries but can't play both schedules due to being over the vhsl contest limit is for the district to only play each district opponent once.

Certainly not perfect, but just an idea should 2A east decide to make changes.

I also posted this on the boys forum.

ADVERTISEMENT