ADVERTISEMENT

Christchurch 30 North Cross 20 Recap

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
The Christchurch defense pitched a second half shutout while recording a safety as the Seahorses defeated North Cross 30-20 on Saturday afternoon. It was a big win for Christchurch who doubled their win total from last year to improve to 2-1. Both wins have come at home.

The Christchurch defense set the tone in the second half with a safety on the Raiders first possession. Josh Waite pounced on the ball in the endzone to pull Christchurch to within four (20-16).

North Cross stopped Christchurch on downs late in the fourth quarter and Max Revercomb drove the Raiders all the way down to the Christchurch 22-yard line with three completions to Jordan Lowery. However, a holding call moved the ball back to the 38-yard line and senior Trey Critides jumped a pass and returned it 65-yards to end the Raiders hope with 1:54 left in the game. Daquon Frisby picked off his second interception with a minute to go to end the game.

Christchurch never led in the 1st half and trailed by as much as 14 points in the second quarter. Raiders quarterback Max Revercomb connected with Isiah Harris for the games first score and Frisby stretched out to make a great two-handed reception to setup a 5-yard touchdown run by Fernando Lewis to make the score 8-6 in favor of North Cross.

Lowery took a quick screen pass, broke a tackle, and sprinted 26 yards for touchdown to give North Cross a 14-6 lead. When Christchurch quarterback Jahlen Hewlett floated a pass towards the Christchurch sideline, Lowery stepped in front of the pass and returned it 26-yards to make the score 20-6 with 1:53 to go before halftime. The pick six would be the last score for the Raiders.

Christchurch answered quickly with a 37-yard touchdown pass from Hewlett to Nyheim Tucker with 40 seconds to go in the half. They took the lead 24-20 after a Frisby 3-yard touchdown reception and 2-point run by fullback Jerri Forson.

This post was edited on 9/14 1:32 AM by wgarlick

NC seemed flat coming out the second half .They certainly had their opportunities but it wasn't meant to be ..

They are a very young team with only three Sr's playing ,Sr.two way starter Sterling Moscal ( ACL ) went down in the first half

of the opening game with Nansemond Suffolk. In addition, two of their big playmakers ( Sr's Dent and Harris ) have been

battling nagging injuries and neither is 100 %.

The remaining Sr, Max Revercomb QB/LB continues to be a bright spot for the Raiders .

It will be interesting to see how they respond as they hit the road yet again at Blue Ridge this Saturday .

They were cramping up pretty bad in the second half, I guess the humidity got to them because it wasn't hot. I think close to half of their guys went out at some point for cramps. Their QB is a pretty tough kid, not many QBs can play LB also. If he had a little more size he could be damaging. Will be good to see how they rebound. It is shaping up that its possible NC and CCS could both get in the playoffs and maybe see each other again. FCS and Atlantic Shores look solid but CCS/NC seem to be right in the mix for 3 and 4, at least this early in the season

You hit the nail on the head ..Cramping was an issue .

With 4 road trips ( 4 hours or more ) plus a 2 and 1/2 one on a school bus is asking a lot for any level

If NC can get get Dent and Harris back to 100% ,should put more points on board .

Max Revercomb QB and LB is a tough customer who is getting looks from some ODAC Schools.

Playoff picture looks interesting .....

Given the travel that North Cross is going to encounter for its away games this season (2200+ miles) they may need to consider traveling the night before. I understand the cost of these trips aren't cheap, however I think its an option that may need to be considered. On a side note, and I know its early, but looking at how D3 is shaping up those 2200 miles could be closer to 3000.

I applaud them for playing a tough schedule, making the sacrifice to travel for stiffer competition and being dedicated to getting better. However, having this schedule can be a Blessing or a curse and these issues will not have sympathy or the numbers I should say won't have sympathy when its playoff time. Coach Alexander and his staff are very knowledgeable and intelligent, I'm sure they have discussed these issues and have a game plan for the injuries and travel. Until then, North Cross much like the other powers in D3 have to take it week by week and not look ahead.

Good Luck on the road to the championship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT