ADVERTISEMENT

Game Recap Coastal Plain Recap- Week 6 Charles City Programs Reborn

TheSel2

VaPreps All Region
Staff
Apr 29, 2003
When Charles City announced they weren't having football for the 2018 season the shock trembled many small communities. The fact that low interest and participation in other communities seen on television had hit home. Even a few larger schools had to bow out for the season. The Panthers were determined to have a plan to come back from the dead and make their program better than ever.

fullsizeoutput-868.jpg

Andre Jones has worked hard to revitalize all the sports programs at Charles City.

Athletic director Andre Jones was determined to get Charles City athletics were it needed to be and that included making sure they started the resurrection of Panther football right. They studied why this happened and what they needed to do to prevent this from happening again. What other communities are doing to fuel their tomorrow and how Charles City County can learn and grow to make sure that football would be back.

After several meetings with the community and with interest growing, the Panthers looked to hire the right leader that would guide them into the future. They would trust this opportunity to one of their very own, Sherrod Jones. Jones is a proud graduate of Charles City and has Panther football deeply entrenched in his heart. Jones would get to make his dream come true when he was announced to be the headman.

fullsizeoutput-867.jpg

Charles City found the right man for the job in Coach Sherrod Jones.

"When I found out it was an opening I was just praying to God that I would get an opportunity to come down here and coach where I grew up at." expressed Jones. He has the vision and patience to know what he needs to build in order to get the team where he wants them to go. "I knew it would be a slow start and a struggle initially, I truly believe we are going to get where we need to be."

Building a feeder program to help fuel this team's tomorrow will be looked into as well as Coach Jones and his staff is all committed to making success for Charles City football a reality. "All the coaches that I have, all of them are great men, and they are on the same page that I'm on. We are willing to do whatever it takes to get Charles City to the top", added Jones.

Going into their homecoming game the Panthers were 0-4 and their opponent Lancaster also having a 0-4 record. The vibe of having a chance to win has already filled the spirits of the players. "A lot of young guys have come to me saying this is the first week that we can win, but I told them we have to get to a point no matter who we play we can win." said Jones. When you go into a game already defeated you are not going to put your best effort on the field. You might think you are but you've already checked out mentally."

The rough start that the Panthers have had may not reveal its silver lining to those looking from the outside but Jones in his staff sees it. "We have a lot of things to change but I do see the positive because we've gotten beat down 4 games and nobody has quit yet. That's a positive." The games have been small losses but by huge margins and this shows the players even understand the goal of the program. Jones added, "When you are getting beat 50 or 60 to 0 every game a few people are going to quit. For them not to quit, that is a bright spot for me."

The team, the staff, and the community are strongly behind this program to succeed. The turning point for the Panthers is on its way. How close could the change be? When would the messages be translated into actions and when given 100 percent truly come to be? Maybe homecoming night would be a showcase of what good things that are in store for Charles City.

The Game
LANCASTER at CHARLES CITY

fullsizeoutput-864.jpg

The Panther's Keodre' Barnes laid a big hit on the Red Devil's Cameron Towles.

The perfect evening for football it was and homecoming 2019 just maybe the moment fans will look back at and realize it was the turning point of the Panthers return to competitiveness. The crowd overflowed and chairs bordered the fence of the athletic complex and the focus was on football. Nearby Virginia State University sent their divine Woo-Woo cheerleaders to amp the crowd up for the big night of football! The home crowd would not be disappointed.

fullsizeoutput-879.jpg

Virginia State University's Woo-Woos came to support Charles City on homecoming night.

Charles City would take the opening drive into Lancaster territory but a fumble would make the crowd wait for their explosions of cheering. Lancaster would try to send a message early driving the ball down the field getting to the Panther 1 yard line when the defense would rise up and make a huge goal line stand.

fullsizeoutput-878.jpg

Xzaveah Thompson corals Jayron Jones for a big play for the Lancaster.

Lancaster would get on the board would a mishandled snap would cause Keondre' Barnes to get surrounded in the end zone for safety giving the Red Devils the 2-0 lead with 59 seconds to play in the 1st quarter.

Charles City would march right back down the field and Barnes would throw a great pass that enabled Leonardo Charity the opportunity to go up and make a play in the end zone hauling in the grab putting the Panthers up 6-2 with 9:26 left to play before the half.

After a solid stand by the defense, Jayron Jones would have cap off the next Panther drive when he would lose the ball reach for the goal line, but would recover it in the end zone to make it 12-2 Panthers. The Panthers would have another chance to score before halftime but fumbled at the Red Devil 4 yard line give Lancaster something positive at intermission.

Lancaster would start the second half with the ball but would quickly fumble giving Charles City an opportunity to go up bigger. The Red Devils would not fold. They would shutdown the Panther attempt at points and force a punt. Lancaster would get the block and recovered the ball at the Panther 24. Soon after Calvin Redmon would find Cameron Towles for a 7-yard touchdown pass to cut the lead to 12-8 with 4:52 left in the 3rd. That would be as close as the Red Devils would get.

With the roar of the crowd and the VSU cheerleaders leading the "Let's Go Panthers!" chants, the Charles City offense quickly responded behind the legs of Ha'Ji Jackson going in for the score and then Barnes getting the conversion to make it 20-8 Panthers with 1:34 to play in the 3rd as the fireworks would blast in southern end zone. After forcing a Red Devil fumble, Barnes would find Tayvion Harris from a 22- yard touchdown pass to make it 26-8 at the end of the quarter.

fullsizeoutput-865.jpg

Barnes had a sensational night on both sides of the ball.

Following a Barnes interception, Jackson would go in from 4 yards out to make it 32-8 with 8:54 left to play. Towles would answer with a 77-yard kickoff return making it 32-16 Panthers. Jackson would answer breaking loose for a 51 yard run up the middle of the field. Charity would make the catch on the conversion to make it 40-16 Panthers. Charity would get another score off a run going 39 yards to the end zone and would kick the extra point to make it 47-16. Lancaster's Towles would close out the scoring with a 21-yard run to close out the exciting 4th quarter scoring.

fullsizeoutput-885.jpg

Cameron Towles demanded attention all night and played a great game.

Charles City (1-4) will resume action with a big one versus King & Queen on October 25th. Lancaster (0-5) will host Washington & Lee on Friday.

LANCASTER 2 0 6 14 - 22
CHARLES CITY 0 12 14 21 - 47

L- Terrence Waddy sacks Barnes in the end zone
C- Charity 21 yard pass from Barnes (pass failed)
C- Jayron Jones recovered fumble in end zone (pass failed)
L- Towles 7 yard pass form Redmon (run failed)
C- Jackson 6 yard run (Barnes run)
C- Harris 22 yard pass from Barnes
C- Jackson 4 yard run (pass failed)
L- Towles 77-yard kickoff return (Troy Cox run)
C- Jackson 51-yard run (Charity pass from Barnes)
C- Charity 39-yard run (Charity kick)

KING GEORGE 21 WASHINGTON & LEE 20

The Foxes of King George have been in several close games this season and know the meaning of 4 quarters. They would stress that fact versus the Eagles. Washington & Lee led 14-7 following a 62 yard run by LJ Kelly and a 19 yard pass reception for Shane McNeil from Christian Mountjoy. Javon Campbell cashed in 2 touchdown runs in the 4th for the Foxes giving them a 21-14 lead. The Eagles answered with Mountjoy but missed the crucial conversion.

RIVERHEADS 49 SKYLINE 21

The Gladiators would break open a 21-14 game in the second quarter leaning on their strong rushing attack to do the honors. Riverheads had 52 carries for 457 yards on the night. Coach Robert Casto's squad gets ready for Shenandoah district play next week as the travel to Wilson Memorial.

COASTAL PLAIN PLUS SCORES
Appomattox 56 Altavista 13
Arcadia 47 Colonel Richardson (MD) 7
Bluestone 39 Cumberland 0
Buckingham 57 Northumberland 30
Central Lunenburg 32 Randolph-Henry 12
Dan River 45 William Campbell 20
Franklin 60 Surry County 16
Greensville Co. 44 Park View 7
Middlesex 24 Northampton 14
Southampton 48 Brunswick 46
Sussex Central 54 Windsor 12