ADVERTISEMENT

Colonial Forge @ Oscar Smith

Who wins

• Colonial Forge

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Oscar Smith

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters
Smith has more size on the OL & DL than last year. Their linebackers are more agressive and the DB's have been locked down this year. Even the teams that have scored against them, have been shut down in the second half. Few teams have scored during the 4th quarter!

Smith's offense hasn't put up the huge numbers that their used to but they still consistently break down their opponents' weaknesses and exploit them with regular efficiency. Shon Mitchell has read defenses well and Bill Dee has them playing his disciplined & grinding offense.

As much of a surprise as last year's team was to beat Ocean Lakes and the nearly knock off Westfield, I think the 2016 version is a better TEAM, overall.

The single weakness is their kicking game. With inconsistent punting and short kick-offs, if they play a Westfield like kicking team, starting field position will be an issue.

Colonial Forge is a good team. They upset Ocean Lakes in 2013 so anything is possible but Oscar Smith hasn't been making the mistakes that usually allow for teams to play above themselves and setup an upset either.

So yes, I expect Smith to return to the State Finals & finally give Shon Mitchell his well deserved championship to cap off a very impressive career at Smith.

Last edited:
Reactions: OCBoy
Haven't seen much of Smith this year, but it all depends on which Forge team shows up. If they don't turn the ball over, they have playmakers on both sides of the ball to keep this game close. 2nd half adjustments will be key in this game. Lets go 540!

Colonial Forge has put together another solid season. It wasn't too long ago that they dropped the last game of the regular season to Freedom, so it won't be a surprise if they fall to Oscar Smith, but judging from scores it looks like Smith has a had a few teams play them close in recent weeks, I would expect Forge to do the same.

It would be nice to see coach brown and Forge pull through for once and make it to the big game. Being in 6A south is just so tough going up against the 757

With the exception of a few perennially poor performing schools, the SouthEastern District was quite the gauntlet and the playoffs proved that out. Even Deep Creek nearly beat Lake Taylor!

I'm pretty sure Coach Dee held back the reigns on this team. Smith scored almost all their points in the 1st half then slowed things down With the run game by the middle of the 3rd quarter. I'm not sure they scored in the 4th quarter this year.

Anyway, I'd love to see Colonial Forge push Smith but I think Coach Dee has his team playing both his old school Pheobus like Football while allowing Shon Mitchell to run Morgan's spread in place too.

Defensively, this team is better than last year's that shut down Ocean Lakes.

Colonial Forge made a game of it yesterday. For 3 quarters, Smith had a hard time running the ball and Forge put 8 in pass coverage. However, the OL / DL balance began to shift towards Smith's favor. The fumble recovery with 1:20 min left made the come back possible and was the pennicle of their rising effectiveness.

Colonial Forge had multiple opportunities in the red zone to finish off Smith but could only get 2 field goals in the 2nd half. A missed field goal provided better field position to Smith than their previous drive which started at about the 2 yard line.

Shon Mitchell moved the ball but did have to punt which put Forge on the Smith 20. The crowd intensity had increased as they had sensed the momentum swing into Smith's favor but it looked like the game might go into over time.

The touchdown with 10 seconds looked too easy but it happened as Mitchell began to roll to the right & the safety left Kahlik Perry to watch Mitch likely thinking he'd run for the goal line. Game Over!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT