ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Dinwiddie!!!

That's good news. Any word on how certain players did? I have to believe Bryce was sharp? Pope?

Haven't heard on how Bryce or Pope did. I know one thing they are loaded at skilled positions. Bryce has some options this year and what I heard a new one to the mix. My personal favorite is #2 Dakari Wilson. Kid is awesome.

Haven't heard on how Bryce or Pope did. I know one thing they are loaded at skilled positions. Bryce has some options this year and what I heard a new one to the mix. My personal favorite is #2 Dakari Wilson. Kid is awesome.
Your skill guys vs. our DB's hope we can make that matchup happen. Our secondary is LOADED.

Reactions: gwb16
Devils, any word on how things are going over in Smithfield. I believe you gave the new coach a good review. Is he making progress incorporating his system into what is an evolving good program?

Devils, any word on how things are going over in Smithfield. I believe you gave the new coach a good review. Is he making progress incorporating his system into what is an evolving good program?

His brother which is an assistant with him works at my twins school and the one thing he was very excited about was the support that the community has given them. They are getting the items that they need such as equipment and end zone camera and the kids are working hard in the weight room and have been very receptive. I think they will do very well this year.

Celebrating the championship...

1698350.jpg

His brother which is an assistant with him works at my twins school and the one thing he was very excited about was the support that the community has given them. They are getting the items that they need such as equipment and end zone camera and the kids are working hard in the weight room and have been very receptive. I think they will do very well this year.

He has a really nice nucleus of returning players to work with, should be an exciting year to watch unfold. Packers aren't quite top tier yet. Still some work to do. Weight room attendance and enthusiasm has never been an issue that I can recall. Kids have always been pretty dedicated. More so than the administration at times. The Honeymoon isn't over yet, trust me when I say that it's just a matter of time before someone or several in the administration have a "flare up". And the community support is ALWAYS there when the new coaches show up, just wait until things get dicey, that "support" will come in a different form. As much as love our fans, we have had our fair share of unrealistic expectations.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Hey gwb16, I just noticed that you joined Virginiapreps on my birthday, sans, a few decades.

FYI, I was forced, FORCED, mind you, to drive down to Smithfield Station recently and eat dinner with some friends. Tough duty, but I sacrificed myself.

I thought that a high level school administrator that was the bulk of that problem down there moved on?

Didn't you mention last season that there was a stud running back coming back as a senior this year? I remember that they had some good atheletes returning, and even with a new coach at the helm, good things are expected.

I was looking around for a good 4a game to attend during Dinwiddie's open week. Right now I'm leaning toward Smithfield at Lafayette. I figure that should be a pretty good game. It ought to tell us if Smithfied has raised their game, and if Lafayette is really going to be a contender in 4a this year. Still looking around at other games, but a lot of teams are slow getting their schedules out. I would like to catch something up toward Fredericksburg since several teams up that way are now 4a East teams. But we will see. I was thinking about going up to see Charlottsville vs Monroe, until it was politely pointed out to this big dummy that it was William, not James.

That's ok, Maxpreps has got Dinwiddie playing Hanover in the second game. That's Hanover in KANSAS. That might be a little tough on our school buses!

I was thinking about going up to see Charlottsville vs Monroe, until it was politely pointed out to this big dummy that it was William, not James.
Charlottesville is scrimmaging James Monroe in C'ville. I don't have the date yet, but it's usually on a Friday.

Charlottesville is scrimmaging James Monroe in C'ville. I don't have the date yet, but it's usually on a Friday.
I will try to ride up to that. We may have ascrimmage the same day, in which case I won't be able to make it. We will see. Thanks for the info.

Hey gwb16, I just noticed that you joined Virginiapreps on my birthday, sans, a few decades.

FYI, I was forced, FORCED, mind you, to drive down to Smithfield Station recently and eat dinner with some friends. Tough duty, but I sacrificed myself.

I thought that a high level school administrator that was the bulk of that problem down there moved on?

Didn't you mention last season that there was a stud running back coming back as a senior this year? I remember that they had some good atheletes returning, and even with a new coach at the helm, good things are expected.

I was looking around for a good 4a game to attend during Dinwiddie's open week. Right now I'm leaning toward Smithfield at Lafayette. I figure that should be a pretty good game. It ought to tell us if Smithfied has raised their game, and if Lafayette is really going to be a contender in 4a this year. Still looking around at other games, but a lot of teams are slow getting their schedules out. I would like to catch something up toward Fredericksburg since several teams up that way are now 4a East teams. But we will see. I was thinking about going up to see Charlottsville vs Monroe, until it was politely pointed out to this big dummy that it was William, not James.

That's ok, Maxpreps has got Dinwiddie playing Hanover in the second game. That's Hanover in KANSAS. That might be a little tough on our school buses!

Smithfield will be very competitive this year. Chris Pierce is a D1 caliber WR and DB, kid is an unreal athlete. Donald King is the RB that I mentioned earlier this year, I'm not sure that I've ever seen a kid that runs this mad, his motor does not quit, great field vision, he'll juke you or he'll truck right over you. I don't think he minds either. And he has great size, 5'-10"ish and about a Buck85. Give him a seam and it's a foot race that most HS DB's will lose.

Cautiously optimistic. Lafayette will be a great test. No question. They reload.

The Superintendent resigned, moving back to Louisiana to take care of her ailing mother. She wasn't the issue, directly, even though she placed some people at SHS that have shown their dislike for HS athletics through their actions...even the new AD.

We will get through it. The kids are resilient. I have been hearing very positive remarks about the new HC. I'm willing to see how things play out. Clarke Harrell got blasted because of his old school style....when a kid was slacking or half stepping he lit into their @$$es...with this entitlement society and PC screaming pansies that are overtaking this country, it's bound to get worse. Football is disciplined. Football is tough and it's even tougher when you're a p@$$&. Coaches can't be best friends. They have to be firm. They have to be respected....it kills me when I hear a kid saying he was disrespected, let the milk clear from your breath before you try to understand respect. It's earned. I should end this little rant, no need to get my BP boiling!

I am excited for the kids. New coach has an established network of college recruiters. Not all are superstars, but a lot can find a home at smaller schools to further their education and extend their playing careers.

Just hope he will hang foot in @$$es when academics or behavior becomes a problem. DISCIPLINE!

Smithfield will be very competitive this year. Chris Pierce is a D1 caliber WR and DB, kid is an unreal athlete. Donald King is the RB that I mentioned earlier this year, I'm not sure that I've ever seen a kid that runs this mad, his motor does not quit, great field vision, he'll juke you or he'll truck right over you. I don't think he minds either. And he has great size, 5'-10"ish and about a Buck85. Give him a seam and it's a foot race that most HS DB's will lose.

Cautiously optimistic. Lafayette will be a great test. No question. They reload.

The Superintendent resigned, moving back to Louisiana to take care of her ailing mother. She wasn't the issue, directly, even though she placed some people at SHS that have shown their dislike for HS athletics through their actions...even the new AD.

We will get through it. The kids are resilient. I have been hearing very positive remarks about the new HC. I'm willing to see how things play out. Clarke Harrell got blasted because of his old school style....when a kid was slacking or half stepping he lit into their @$$es...with this entitlement society and PC screaming pansies that are overtaking this country, it's bound to get worse. Football is disciplined. Football is tough and it's even tougher when you're a p@$$&. Coaches can't be best friends. They have to be firm. They have to be respected....it kills me when I hear a kid saying he was disrespected, let the milk clear from your breath before you try to understand respect. It's earned. I should end this little rant, no need to get my BP boiling!

I am excited for the kids. New coach has an established network of college recruiters. Not all are superstars, but a lot can find a home at smaller schools to further their education and extend their playing careers.

Just hope he will hang foot in @$$es when academics or behavior becomes a problem. DISCIPLINE!

Hey, gwb, drop me an email when you can, please. wcook2@verizon.net

"with this entitlement society and PC screaming pansies that are overtaking this country, it's bound to get worse. Football is disciplined. Football is tough and it's even tougher when you're a p@$$&. Coaches can't be best friends. They have to be firm. They have to berespected".... That's my speed and how I grew up playing in DC and why Dinwidde and Lake Taylor won states past 2 years. My feeling is there are 4 programs right now in 4A with the mindset, talent, system and coaching staff that can be in Lynchburg....LT, DInwiddie, Sherando and Salem... Salem having the least talent coming back for sure. These 4 programs condition their kids mentally and physically and play with great pride day in and day out.

Last edited:
"with this entitlement society and PC screaming pansies that are overtaking this country, it's bound to get worse. Football is disciplined. Football is tough and it's even tougher when you're a p@$$&. Coaches can't be best friends. They have to be firm. They have to berespected".... That's my speed and how I grew up playing in DC and why Dinwidde and Lake Taylor won states past 2 years. My feeling is there are 4 programs right now in 4A with the mindset, talent, system and coaching staff that can be in Lynchburg....LT, DInwiddie, Sherando and Salem... Salem having the least talent coming back for sure. These 4 programs condition their kids mentally and physically and play with great pride day in and day out.
I think Salem will surprise you with talent this year. Yes, they lost a lot of seniors; however, there were kids with similar skills in the depth chart. I'm pretty sure they will have 20+ seniors this year. Salem will have a good year.

I think Salem will surprise you with talent this year. Yes, they lost a lot of seniors; however, there were kids with similar skills in the depth chart. I'm pretty sure they will have 20+ seniors this year. Salem will have a good year.
Even though you are talking about Salem I will ask you from a general standpoint. As a program coaches are suppose to start their best talent correct regardless of classification correct? (except at Courtland) So, when a program loses a ton of kids and the replacements for the kids are just as talented or better than the kids they replaced one has to think "Why didn't they start last year?" Or maybe that's just my thinking when I hear about kids at any school replacing a kid and he's the next big stud or big thing I always think well what kept them off the field the year before? I know there are exceptions to the rules like incoming stud 9th graders, but rising seniors or juniors why won't they seeing the field? General question not just picking on Salem.

Even though you are talking about Salem I will ask you from a general standpoint. As a program coaches are suppose to start their best talent correct regardless of classification correct? (except at Courtland) So, when a program loses a ton of kids and the replacements for the kids are just as talented or better than the kids they replaced one has to think "Why didn't they start last year?" Or maybe that's just my thinking when I hear about kids at any school replacing a kid and he's the next big stud or big thing I always think well what kept them off the field the year before? I know there are exceptions to the rules like incoming stud 9th graders, but rising seniors or juniors why won't they seeing the field? General question not just picking on Salem.
I think the smart claim is to simply say, "as potentially as talented as...!

I think this a wrong assumption here but I'm sure there are exceptions. I think that, in general, the best player available starts. If the Sophomore is better, he should be on the field. I know quite a few Coachs that value Seniority and years of service but the best player usually plays for most programs.

Of course, I accept your thought on Courtland and understand you disagree. Freshmen don't play Varsity. Period. Sophomores can and do. The QB and two of the current running backs did. Mine did. Every one of them will tell you they were not ready as Freshmen. All went or will be going DI. Not really a philosophy difference here. Just time, experience and results. I understand that you still disagree and are results oriented. You think Championships are the bottom line. I don't. No problem.

Salem will continue to be Salem. Well Coached. Rock solid program. They don't rebuild. They reload. Couple of good teams on their schedule. The rest are should wins and the Spartans don't get upset often. 7 - 3 would be a big disappointment. Easily in the playoffs with a 1st round home game, minimum. After that, we'll see.

But even I have to admit, that first game against Amherst is one I would really like to see. It could define the season for both of these legendary programs.

I understand that you still disagree and are results oriented. You think Championships are the bottom line. I don't. No problem.

Never had you heard me say this...Results are awesome, championships are the icing on the cake, but I'll take degrees, jobs, and success over results any day. We are in the business of (especially here in Norfolk) molding young men that usually don't have positive males or males in general in their lives. So, while we have been successful on the field for many years we have been more successful off the field.

I think the smart claim is to simply say, "as potentially as talented as...!
I can live with that!!! That gives you a way out instead of saying what a kid can or will do what they can potentially do gives you an out in case that kid really doesn't live up to expectations. We have the potential to be very good this year, but we have a lot of work to do before we even get there.

At some positions they have guys with similar skills and shouldn't miss a beat. At other positions there are a lot of question marks. (QB, WR, OL, DL, CB) That's not to say they'll be weaker at all those positions, its just we don't know yet. The biggest losses were at those spots and the guys coming in to those spots don't have the experience to match the departing seniors. There will be 20+ seniors this year like last, but as a group they don't have the experience last year's team had coming in. The LB & RB positions should be bright spots without much or any dropoff, but as a team there are more unknowns than knowns. I think they'll have a good year, but it will be difficult to match last years success.

Reactions: DEVILSLB99
At some positions they have guys with similar skills and shouldn't miss a beat. At other positions there are a lot of question marks. (QB, WR, OL, DL, CB) That's not to say they'll be weaker at all those positions, its just we don't know yet. The biggest losses were at those spots and the guys coming in to those spots don't have the experience to match the departing seniors. There will be 20+ seniors this year like last, but as a group they don't have the experience last year's team had coming in. The LB & RB positions should be bright spots without much or any dropoff, but as a team there are more unknowns than knowns. I think they'll have a good year, but it will be difficult to match last years success.

Great job as always Mike. I think this makes a lot of sense because it's hard to just replace a group of kids that went to the state semifinals and state finals with kids that didn't see the field. They may possibly have some growing pains. I believed they are very well coached, play a decent schedule, and play hard so they will be in good shape this season.

Reactions: mike salem
I agree about WR and QB, there are a lot of ?, but there are options! OL and DL will be pretty much the same as last year with the exception of Hoyt. Plus, last years' starting junior linemen are one year older with an increase in weight and strength. The line will be a senior force to be reckoned with! CB is a great position to plug in some underclassmen talent (and speed) this year. As to experience, it can only take you so far, either you have good football IQ and the skill to complement it, or you don't. Salem's senior class had a very good sophomore year on JV. They beat all their opponents handily. This class just had a very talented class ahead of them as well.

It's all about position. For example: If a team runs a defense with a middle linebacker and an outside linebacker. You wouldn't put 2 MLB and 2 OLB on the field. You only need one of each, so seniority trumps equal talent. You can't play two QB's or 4 RB at one time. There may be underclassmen on the sidelines in those positions who have similar talent as the seniors. It is just their unfortunate luck to be backup because there is an equally talented upperclassman in their position. I'm not saying I agree with playing seniors exclusively over underclassmen, when there is equal talent. I think a coach should look towards the next year and make timely substitutions when the talent is similar. It's ok to substitute! Substitutions are underutilized to enhance a team in football. I think coaches shouldn't just stick with their starters, they should trust their depth to build the next year. Also, when you have 20+ talented seniors, there isn't much room for underclassmen.

I agree about WR and QB, there are a lot of ?, but there are options! OL and DL will be pretty much the same as last year with the exception of Hoyt. Plus, last years' starting junior linemen are one year older with an increase in weight and strength. The line will be a senior force to be reckoned with! CB is a great position to plug in some underclassmen talent (and speed) this year. As to experience, it can only take you so far, either you have good football IQ and the skill to complement it, or you don't. Salem's senior class had a very good sophomore year on JV. They beat all their opponents handily. This class just had a very talented class ahead of them as well.
I'm sure they'll be okay on the lines, they always seem to just plug in the next man up & it works out pretty well. CB/WR probably worries me the most. They have options & I'm sure they'll find a good combination, its just an unknown. Looking at last year's roster the most likely WR options will be: Tucker, Wade, Moushegian, Pinello, Burnette, Swaine, & Quinn. The good thing is there has been a large number of guys playing every year, so there are a lot of options and depth.

Never had you heard me say this...Results are awesome, championships are the icing on the cake, but I'll take degrees, jobs, and success over results any day. We are in the business of (especially here in Norfolk) molding young men that usually don't have positive males or males in general in their lives. So, while we have been successful on the field for many years we have been more successful off the field.
Much as we have disagreed in the past, degrees, jobs and success in the future are the most important things. It's not about wins. It's about love of the game and how you play it. Class and character. You always walk off the field as a winner if you carry yourself in that way.

I missed this somehow. Well stated. If a coach, or school administration, or the community doesn't have this philosophy, then they have no business being involved with our kids. With very rare exceptions, none of these kids will ever support themselves through athletics, but every last one of them have to go out in the world and work, and mingle, socialize, and communicate. Catching a pass, making a tackle, running for a touchdown, all of this is really nothing more than the more exciting part of a kid being helped to become a good citizen.

Reactions: gwb16 and G-DOG2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT