ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Wayne Davis

How many transfers do you have from Oscar Smith? They were a great program ! I know about Davis and Bruton transferring from there. There was a big article about all the transfers in the tidewater area. Didn't Ocean Lakes get disciplined for that?

Even though I rooted against this young man on two occasion but I'm happy for him and his family. Only going to root against him one more time then I'm going to root for him at the next level. Congrats!!!

How many transfers do you have from Oscar Smith? They were a great program ! I know about Davis and Bruton transferring from there. There was a big article about all the transfers in the tidewater area. Didn't Ocean Lakes get disciplined for that?

We have 1 transfer from Oscar Smith Keyvone Bruton....Wayne Davis has never in his life attended Oscar Smith...In 2012 when we won the state title it was Wayne playing gunner on Special Teams that forced the Stone Bridge kid back to the inside where he was stripped and we recovered and scored on the next play which was the winning TD. You are getting some bad information out West. In the case of Bruton he (according to a lot of people) always lived in the Lake Taylor zone, but attended Oscar Smith. I can't confirm this because quite frankly we didn't care if he lived in our zone and attended Smith that was his prerogative. He moved in our zone last school year and provided the paperwork and his address was thoroughly checked out. We had 3 starters coming back in our secondary without him and a another kid that started 3 playoff games as a soph when we moved Nhyre to LB against Dinwiddie, Kings Fork, and Monacan. Just to clarify we won't out searching for any players. Again where is the article about the transfer kids that programs like Oscar Smith, Ocean Lakes, and Lake Taylor lose on a yearly basis. Contrary to many people's beliefs we lose more than we gain on a yearly basis. Hope that clarifies this misunderstanding up for you.

I'm like you Gen, I root for all the kids, on all the teams. The work they put in, the sacrifices they make, the choice to give up chances to go have fun with their buddies, all to be part of something bigger than they are. I wish every one of them could be rewarded with the opportunity to get a higher education and continue to play the game that has grown to be such a huge part of their life.

And I will also admit, there are somewhere between 10 to 15 times each year that I hope they "trip over their own feet".

God bless them all!

It's comical to see a Salem fan on here questioning somebody about transfers. A great laugh for Friday.

on his commitment to The Ohio State University. He will make 2 Titans in Columbus with a third possibility in next years class.
Congrats to Davis! A good player. I hope his career works out the way he would like.

on his commitment to The Ohio State University. He will make 2 Titans in Columbus with a third possibility in next years class.
Two DB's to OSU. Yeah, I would say the LT secondary will be practically invulnerable. GL to both these kids. Been to OSU games many times. Just nothing like it.

Two DB's to OSU. Yeah, I would say the LT secondary will be practically invulnerable. GL to both these kids. Been to OSU games many times. Just nothing like it.
Thanks for the congrats but the other kid is already at OSU..DE Jalyn Holmes..Played in a lot of games as a true freshman and won a national title.
jalyn-holmes-ohio-state-defensive-end-d0298a566e6e699b.jpg

U
Thanks for the congrats but the other kid is already at OSU..DE Jalyn Holmes..Played in a lot of games as a true freshman and won a national title.
jalyn-holmes-ohio-state-defensive-end-d0298a566e6e699b.jpg
This is a crystal clear pic. What's the source? Ohio State website, I'm guessing.

I don't know who #13 thought he was blocking. But, I just don't think his efforts were producing the desired result!

Hey Devils. Are you hearing much about how things are going for Hopewell? New coach, correct?

Hey Devils. Are you hearing much about how things are going for Hopewell? New coach, correct?
New basketball coach which I don't believe they have hired yet. Due to our game with Heritage being in the last week of Aug. we can't scrimmage Hopewell again this year. However, I keep in contact with the coaches and they are very excited about their team this year. They have a lot of guys back and a qb that will be a three year starter It will be tough though with the competition in the Central District but I expect them to be dangerous in the 3a playoffs.

Look at those guns. How many pounds have he put on since hs?
When he left a week after graduation he was 240 he's now sitting between 265-270 and still has the speed off the edge. Absolute beast and will be more than jacked for the VT game to start the season.

It's comical to see a Salem fan on here questioning somebody about transfers. A great laugh for Friday.
Who has transferred to Salem in the last few years? There's one from the beach I've been hearing about for this year, but otherwise I can't think of any. Not to throw stones, but I think Northside is getting all the transfers now.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
New basketball coach which I don't believe they have hired yet. Due to our game with Heritage being in the last week of Aug. we can't scrimmage Hopewell again this year. However, I keep in contact with the coaches and they are very excited about their team this year. They have a lot of guys back and a qb that will be a three year starter It will be tough though with the competition in the Central District but I expect them to be dangerous in the 3a playoffs.

That's right. I don't know why I forgot it was the BB coach. He had a heck of a run there. 3 years wasn't it? What was that kids name that healed up and got back late in the season? He raised the level of the team tremendously when he came back.

Yes sir. The Central District looks pretty darn tough, as usual. Especially from the standpoint of Hopewell and Petersburg. Thomas Dale will be a real challenge for everyone. Dinwiddie should be a tough out. Matoaca will be their usual tough self, and I believe they have a beast of a player on defense. Meadowbrook is always good, but I'm not sure how quickly the team will gel under the new coach. I think Prince George has some good players returning and should be a little better this year. Poor Colonial Heights. I wish they could change districts to have a better shot at a few more victories. But that probably will never happen. If for no other reason, they are equal or better than most CD opponents in most other sports.

Hopewell sure didn't hide from competition for their non-district games. Tabb, Powhatan, and Hanover! That ought to help them find out what they have. And they have Dinwiddie, Thomas Dale, and Meadowbrook on the road. Probably the three most difficult away games in the CD. (Matoaca ain't exactly a warm and fuzzy place either, but the Blue Devils catch them at Merner). Incidentally, I don't think Merner is nearly as intimidating as it was in the old days. I actually love the place. I love old historic stadiums. I wish Petersburg could still play at Cameron Field. But, we will never see that again, I'm afraid.

Good luck to your Blue Devils. And as much as it pains me to say it, to your Titans, too! May we meet for the right to get to Lynchburg again. (At Dinwiddie, of course).

DP

Who has transferred to Salem in the last few years? There's one from the beach I've been hearing about for this year, but otherwise I can't think of any. Not to throw stones, but I think Northside is getting all the transfers now.

Oh come on Mike. At last count Salem had 37 recruiters working the state. I heard the recruitment budget was $1.5 million this year. And that new luxury dorm they built as a resident address hall for the recruits is on par with what LU would have built. What is the stipend for the recruits now? I know it was $2,300 per month last year, plus a car, gas card, unlimited AMEX, catered food on demand, and their parents mortgage was automatically paid off. Do they still get free use of the Lear?

(If we are going to be absurd, let's do it right)!

Hey Mike, you are the guy with the quality education. Does the punctuation go inside, of after the parentheses?

Last edited:
Oh come on Mike. At last count Salem had 37 recruiters working the state. I heard the recruitment budget was $1.5 million this year. And that new luxury dorm they built as a resident address hall for the recruits is on par with what LU would have built. What is the stipend for the recruits now? I know it was $2,300 per month last year, plus a car, gas card, unlimited AMEX, catered food on demand, and their parents mortgage was automatically paid off. Do they still get free use of the Lear?

(If we are going to be absurd, let's do it right)!

Hey Mike, you are the guy with the quality education. Does the punctuation go inside, of after the parentheses?
I believe you have Salem mixed up with LCA, we had to cut out catered food on demand- it got too expensive with all of the teenage boys we recruited this year.

I believe since it is a complete sentence the punctuation goes inside. (Although, who pays attention to proper grammar usage anymore?)

I would agree the door has swung out more than in at Salem in recent years and Northside as well as North Cross were the beneficiaries. Would you dispute that historically Salem has benefitted from their fair share of transfers? The comment by the original poster was comical IMO and good for a laugh on that Friday.

We have 1 transfer from Oscar Smith Keyvone Bruton....Wayne Davis has never in his life attended Oscar Smith...In 2012 when we won the state title it was Wayne playing gunner on Special Teams that forced the Stone Bridge kid back to the inside where he was stripped and we recovered and scored on the next play which was the winning TD. You are getting some bad information out West. In the case of Bruton he (according to a lot of people) always lived in the Lake Taylor zone, but attended Oscar Smith. I can't confirm this because quite frankly we didn't care if he lived in our zone and attended Smith that was his prerogative. He moved in our zone last school year and provided the paperwork and his address was thoroughly checked out. We had 3 starters coming back in our secondary without him and a another kid that started 3 playoff games as a soph when we moved Nhyre to LB against Dinwiddie, Kings Fork, and Monacan. Just to clarify we won't out searching for any players. Again where is the article about the transfer kids that programs like Oscar Smith, Ocean Lakes, and Lake Taylor lose on a yearly basis. Contrary to many people's beliefs we lose more than we gain on a yearly basis. Hope that clarifies this misunderstanding up for you.

That's right Mike Carney and JT Wahee transferred from Norfolk Christian which ended up being a contributing factor in them not fielding a team according to newspaper in Norfolk.

That's right Mike Carney and JT Wahee transferred from Norfolk Christian which ended up being a contributing factor in them not fielding a team according to newspaper in Norfolk.
Once again how misinformed you are about the issues. Mike Carney and JT Wahee were both students in my class at Lake Taylor Middle School. They were both on the JV team as 8th graders at LT, but were recruited by their AAU basketball coach to go to Norfolk Christian. Well after two years of unfulfilled promises by said AAU coach who by the way was on the Norfolk Christian basketball staff they decided to come their home school. While this is going on we lose a starting defensive lineman who was a rising jr who wanted to be a running back to Norfolk Christian. If you recall in the story the school was only having practices with 13-17 guys felt it was a safety concern and shut the program down. These were concerns that happened during the 2013 season while Carney and Wahee were still at Norfolk Christian. So, the kid we lost ends up being a baseball player at Norfolk Christian because the football program shut down. I liken it to the situation that just happened with the kid from GW that went to LCA and back to GW. Keep on trying to find transfers my man, but once again we lose more than we gained. Just lost one the other day to Booker T. Washington!!

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/11/football-norfolk-christian-calls-season-finale
Some light reading for you!! Shows you how great things were during the 2013 season at Norfolk Christian.

c57a9742a9779fa322e8b678429dc9f8ffc2255a393007622fcaafbe85f56d15.jpg

Keep trying buddy!!! You have one more strike left!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT