ADVERTISEMENT

Covenant 20 Portsmouth Christian 7

I saw a lot of untapped potential with both of these teams this afternoon. Portsmouth has the potential to be scary good on offense, they just don't look very sharp yet. Covenant was the more polished of the two teams and the better team overall, I'd like to see a rematch later in the season to see how these teams would compete once they hit midseason form.

Some of the key plays for Covenant included: #44 Rick Weaver blocking a punt, and then doing the patented scoop and score after he recovered it; #11 Austin Llera taking a FB dive in about 40 yards for a touchdown; the quarterback Paul Huemme and Sam Seelman hooking up for a 40 yard completion that put them on the 2 yard line to save the drive and set up a 1 yard touchdown by Austin Llera... #6 Quane Washington got the shaft tonight as he had 2 big, long touchdowns called back, fought some injuries which looked to be cramping, but played a solid game, you just hate to see a kid get 2 LONG (82 yards on one, the other was a long kick return) touchdowns and have them called back. One play that could have been a major mishap was on the 1st covenant series when they drove down the field, got ito 3rd and goal, and had a dropped touchdown pass (wide open receiver), and then missed a field goal that was a little longer than a pat. Covenant is pretty balanced offensively, as they have a number of different backs who can pick up decent yards and share the carries, but #6 could really be a game breaker, even though he didnt have great , stats tonight because of the lack of carries and penalties (he also plays corner back and he did well there this evening)... their QB is pretty smart and made some good reads and decisions throughout the game... he throws a pretty good ball too. They have a stud on their roster in 8th grader Rick Weaver, he was tough to block and played a key part in anchoring the Covenant defense. He is really good!

Portsmouth Christian showed some very good signs tonight as well as some boneheaded ones. They had probably 15 penalties (Covenant had their share as well), and at least a third of them were having too many men in the huddle.... Bizarre. Some of their key plays came from their touchdown drive where #20 Dudley Clerveau came up with a NICE one handed snag on third down to set up, #44 Colby Vance's touchdown run. The blocked punt was a turning point for PC as they were never able to really get things going after that, and battled field position most of their drives. Some of the positives for them are that they have 2 bruising running backs in Colby Vance, and #25 Anthony Prescott. They were running Covenant defenders over with ease, and I thought the Covenant defense was in for a long game after the second PC series. #20 Dudley Clerveau is their smaller, faster RB, and he follows his blocking pretty well, and can play a good roll in the passing game. Their Quarterback is only a sophmore I believe, and he was pretty impressive with his feet, and short passing (needs to improve his awareness, as he got a penalty for throwing past the line of scrimmage on 4th and 2 and he had actually already picked up the first down, and his deep passing) but he is still young, so plenty of time to develop.

You could definitely tell this was an early season game, just by the number of bonehead mistakes, but it was a good one to watch. FOOTBALL IS BACK.

I liked how PC brought their cheerleaders along with them. In my opinion they were how cheerleaders should be for football, they were doing actual cheers instead of performing stunts like most of the cheer squads do around here (more competition style cheering). The Covenant student section started out pretty fired up but it fizzled out after halftime, except for the lacrosse boys in the student section, they were into it. The PA guy is pretty good and the venue is as well. Also, they have a fan with a cowbell, which I love... Every team needs a fan with a cowbell; find the SNL cowbell scene with Will Farrel in it, and you will know the importance of needing more cowbell...
laugh.r191677.gif

Recap with video from nbc29

http://www.nbc29.com/story/26351859/hart-debuts-with-covenant-eagles-win-20-7

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT