ADVERTISEMENT

Danger Will Robinson!

Kenneth Harris

VaPreps Varsity
Jun 22, 2022
My experience observing and reporting on high school football ranges from 1975-2016. I fell in love early. I went to and reported on my last game in 2016, vowing to never go to another high school football game in person. My love of football started with my big brother which led me to watching RB Joe Morris - Ayer Panthers, Syracuse Orangemen, New York Giants to LB Shaun Gayle - Bethel Bruins, Ohio State Buckeyes, Chicago Bears and ending with DE Chase Young - DeMatha Stags, Ohio State Buckeyes, Washington Commanders and an endless list of superstars that played in Virginia.

While no one really likes an alarmist the alarms have been raised and they have been ringing loudly for years. I admit that I didn’t listen until it affected me directly. They warnings include the health and welfare for young football players. Violence, weapons and drugs in schools and at sporting events involving players, parents and students. Stability and focus on education. Real after career health and mental care. While I do not have the all the answers and resources to do what is needed for the population of football players as the popularity of football shockingly grows; many directly connected to football at the highest levels do and do little to nothing to help. Who will be brave enough to knock over the first domino or are you having to much fun living vicariously through the talent of another football star? RIP to the players that continue to die needlessly and way too young.

like you said nothing new - it goes back to when that title phrase was new.
What maybe new to some is the fact that it has now spread to affluent schools so now there is a alarm since it is now affecting their school, home and neighborhood.
What we in the urban schools have found is that the strong kids will survive and function in spite of the mess but you are gonna lose numbers and that unfortunately will become a fact of life.
Another fact of life is there is no solution presently and no one is actually looking too hard for one.

Reactions: Kenneth Harris
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT