ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone have any information on VISAA Football Polls?

rockomurto22

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2013
Does anyone have any information on VISAA Football Polls? They usually come out week 4, nothing on the VISAA website. They website appears to be down.

Polls usually come out about halfway through the season. I'm figuring probably next week. It is not that hard to figure out if you are trying to check a specific division. Go to VISSA website and they have exact information needed to figure it out. Pretty simple process to figure out where everyone stands at this point. D2 and D4 are pretty cut and dry because there is such a drop off after the top 4 teams.

Rocketballz

Your are correct its not hard to figure out, especially if you like math. I thing the polls should be out this week. They generally post them on Wednesday's on the VISAA site. If they don't come out today it should be out by Wednesday of next week.

Are Polls being calculated the same way as last year?

http://www.visaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/VISAA_Points.pdf

Here is the link to how points have been determined and polls been calculated the past years . I heard today that there may be a change in the scheduling points being given out to a team in D4 or D3 who plays a non-conference D2 team and loses. In the past the losing team would be given half the points (5) for scheduling a non conference opponent in a higher division. Any word if VISAA has changed this outstanding system they have in place??

Re: Are Polls being calculated the same way as last year?

Your hunch or notion could be correct Rocketballz as North Cross does not appear to have received the (5) points for losing to a D2 team. Could this be the VISAA's attempt to ensure teams play more within their division. I know this has been a big topic on this site, but if this is the case its not rewarding teams for playing a tougher schedule.

So in the past they have tried to get teams to schedule up when you play out of conference by giving you "scheduling" bonus points, now all the teams who have done that are playing tougher teams and not going to get the points??? I wonder if schools like North Cross and Blessed Sacrament knew this bonus point for playing up in divisions was not going to be used this year when they made their schedule. Probably not. Yesterday the bonus points for scheduling were on VISAA scoring guideline on their webpage and this morning they deleted the section F that listed the method for receiving "bonus points" for scheduling. I guess everyone now will be fighting to see who can get all the "cupcakes" on their schedule.

You still get more points by beating higher division schools, you get points for your opponents wins and bonus points if you lose to a higher division team and they get to 7 wins. If you schedule a bunch of DIV "cupcakes" that don't win many games it will hurt you in the end. There are still advantages to scheduling up if you can compete with the school.

Re: Solseeker you read my mind

You get rewarded for doing the best you can in the best games you can. It's no different in academics-- I got to hear from a bunch of college counselors from UVA, Virginia Tech, ODU, etc. earlier this year and they told us something I think would shock a lot of parents: colleges would rather see you get an A in a regular class than a D in an AP class. Does that mean you schedule the easiest classes possible and get straight A+'s? No, that will call into question whether you actually challenged yourself. But should you schedule classes way above your abilities, get four D's and 2 F's, and then demand a reward for that? No.

This strikes me as a similar situation. You still get points for playing up, as long as the team you played up against actually has a 7+-win season. That was always part of the system (for the past two years, it's been part of the system COMBINED with these "schedule points") and always made sense.

Two years ago we were all upset that a team could lose out and still finish with an above-zero rating. Now we're upset that you can only get points either by winning or by losing to a good upper-division team. Will we ever really be satisfied? Honest question.

Moral of the story:

There is no perfect system to please everybody. As far as getting bonus points for scheduling up if the team gets 7+ wins, if I were a middle of the pack D3 team, I would much rather schedule a D4 team like Isle of Wight or Broadwater who usually end up getting around 7 wins and have a chance to get my 6 points for the win and 7 points for their wins for a total of 13 points than to play a 7 win STAB and more than likely lose and get my 1 point for playing a top notch team with 7 wins. Personally, the risk/reward for playing STAB isn't worth it. I agree you should challenge yourself, but being challenged and getting a bonus point here or there for playing a 7+ win higher division team is not going to get yourself into the playoff system most of the time. But scheduling for lower division teams like Fishburne of last year can get you a spot in the top four of your division

It may be something that turns out to be ok, but as soon as we get used to it, they will switch back to 3 divisions again. Bottom line with the way things look this year is win 6 of your 10 games and you can play into November. The divisions all look top heavy this year.
This post was edited on 9/23 8:45 PM by rocketballz

Re: Moral of the story:

Just do the best you can and let the chips fall where they may. There isn't a team on the North Cross schedule that can't beat them or be beaten. There is no perfect schedule or perfect way to choose playoff contenders. I have seen teams get bad deals when playoff teams and seeds are chosen by a committee and I have seen bad deals with very specific point systems. I remember NCS missing the playoffs with a 6-4 record two years ago after they beat a playoff team in the last game of the season by 45 points on the road. It just happens. Teams that make the playoffs deserve to be there. There will always be deserving teams left out. It just makes making the playoffs and winning playoff games that much more meaningful. In the immortal words of Al Davis, "Just Win Baby!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT