ADVERTISEMENT

Fairfax

By no means am I disparaging all of the other athletes they have, that team runs through Penn State commit Tony Rojas. He’s a man playing among boys out there. A wrecking ball on offense and defense. You game plan to stop him, Fairfax becomes just another above average playoff team.

By no means am I disparaging all of the other athletes they have, that team runs through Penn State commit Tony Rojas. He’s a man playing among boys out there. A wrecking ball on offense and defense. You game plan to stop him, Fairfax becomes just another above average playoff team.
I absolutely agree. If someone can find a way to at least slow him down, Fairfax will struggle. I like Fairfax's chances to win their region, but then in the semis they will probably face Madison or Centreville. That game will be a challenge for them if they get that far.

Bounty13 said:
falcettk:
I absolutely agree. If someone can find a way to at least slow him down, Fairfax will struggle. I like Fairfax's chances to win their region, but then in the semis they will probably face Madison or Centreville. That game will be a challenge for them if they get that far.

The real trick is stopping or gumming up everything else Fairfax does, line play, passing, timing, reads, etc. that supports Rojas being Rojas, AND above all... hold the ball, if Fairfax doesn't have it, they can't score it (see Madison vs. Centreville in last year's regional championship).

Last edited:
I would have to second the opinions of all of you on this one. Rojas is a problem, until you stop him they will just keep feeding him. Here are a few of my observations of Region C:

Top Dog: Fairfax - You have to stop Rojas.. They use him everywhere.. If there is a mismatch they will go after it all night long until you stop it. Simple approach, simple game plan...

Sleeper- South County- Coaches makes quick adjustments, game plan fits it's opponent, nothing fancy just x's and o's and athletes in key positions.

Most Talented Team - Lake Braddock - I have watched them a few times this season in big games and I truly believe they have the most skill set on the offensive side of the ball in the region. Nevertheless, I can't get behind the coaching staff when it comes to big games. For instance against Fairfax, I witnessed Fairfax complete not 1 but 2 fake punts on 4th down with the same play. Then go for it on the same drive on a 4-6 and get the first down! No adjustments where made.
Special Teams- They kick it short on purpose on special teams. After speaking to parents, they advised early in the year they had a couple big returns and choose to kick it short on kick offs and punts. Sorry, but if this is recognized early in the year, the coaching staff should be able to correct this by week 10 instead of trying avoid it all together and teams starting at the 40 each drive. Just puts your defense at a disadvantage at all times. This won't help them against strong offensive teams and a LB Defense seems tired come 4th quarter. Note-Short field may have cost them the game against South County last week.

Game Plan- Seems week in and out the approach is to try to run the ball up the middle no matter what, even if its been ineffective for 3 quarters or down by multiple scores. In big games, teams just stacks the box and Lake Braddock Coaching staff will do itself in with trying to run the ball unsuccessfully. You would imagine with a Qb who has committed to Delaware, and Wr's with D1-2 talent that he has played with for multi years, and a TE that on Sr. night against Fairfax the announcer mentioned had multiple D1 offers they would throw the ball to set up the run first. It's not the case at all. Fairfax loaded the box all night and went man to man and dared LB to throw the ball. The whole game, I recorded LB took 2 shots down field. At this point, an interception off a deep pass attempt is better than a 10 yard punt in my opinion. South County watched tape and did the same. Down 2 scores in second half, LB run, 3rd and 8 run, just no diversity or true game plan heading into big time games. They have a good Rb who has an offer but with the weapons on the outside and in the middle of the field, I just don't understand why not take advantage of the mismatches in pass game to open up the run game? Or put teams away early with passing game instead of giving teams life come second half cause you are trying to establish a run game. I have seen this multiple times last year in big games and again this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 540 Athletes
I watched Fairfax against LB and Alexandria City tonight. I have to say I do think Rojas is their money man too - his impact is key for them to make it to a state title game. He is fun to watch as well. But I think they are far from a one man show. They make good use of their athleticism on offense and get the ball in the hands of multiple guys who are also able to produce well. It actually struck me as more of a committee approach instead of leaning on only 1 or 2 guys. Good distribution in the ground attack even if Rojas is their go-to guy. They seem to play defense well enough that you would like to see out of a state title contender.

I haven't been to enough games though to know how well they could throw the ball if forced into a game situation that required them to do so.

It's a little harder to expect them to be there at the end like you might with Freedom. I can still see them getting into battles with Centreville, Madison, etc. so to me it's just the matter if they can outlast these teams in close games or avoid falling behind early. As far as ability goes though, I'd like to see them play in the state final.

Reactions: Mmiller324
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT