ADVERTISEMENT

Floyd County 98 Gretna 18

MascotMemorizer

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 30, 2007
From the GoDanRiver.com website

Gretna eliminated by Floyd County

BY TROY SARVER Special Correspondant | Posted: Monday, March 2, 2015 11:15 pm

FLOYD -- Gretna's Brianna Walthall scored on a breakaway layup on the Hawks' first offensive possession to tie Floyd County at 2-2 in last night's 2A West first round matchup. That was pretty much Gretna's highlights for the evening.

The Lady Buffaloes' depth and full court pressure defense proved to be too much for the overmatched Hawks as Floyd County (22-3) advanced to the regional semifinals with a dominating 98-18 win at Floyd County High School.

After Walthall's opening basket the Lady Buffaloes went on a 22-2 run to close the opening quarter. Gretna (18-7) would not score another field goal until the 2:15 mark of the second period and by halftime Floyd County had a commanding 61-7 lead.

Floyd's pressing defense stymied Gretna early on as the Hawks on several first half possessions were not able to even get a basket up. Midway through the second quarter the Lady Buffaloes called off their full court press, but the damage had already been done.

"I thought for a do or die game we came out aggressively on offense and defense and came in with confidence," Floyd County assistant head coach Travis Cantrell said.

The Lady Buffaloes' depth also proved to be overwhelming as on numerous occasions Coach Cantrell would sub a new five into the game. On the night 11 different Floyd players recorded at least one point.

Regan Wiseman led all scorers with 20 points. Also scoring in double figures for the Lady Buffaloes were Emily Boothe (12), Hannah Belshan (12), Ashley Gallimore (11), Michaela Thompson (10) and Carley Lytton (10).

"We executed some offenses we needed to work on and executed our press well," Wiseman said.

The Lady Buffaloes did have a chance to hit the century mark on the scoreboard on their final possession, but they turned the ball over with 12 seconds left before being able to get up a shot.

Floyd County's performance left their opposition not discouraged, but very impressed.

"That's by far the best team we've faced this year. It's not even close," Gretna head coach Herb Daniel said. "To be as long and as quick as they are they are tough to handle."

Floyd now moves on to the regional semifinals this Wednesday at Tazewell Middle School where their opponent and tip time will be determined. The Lady Buffaloes will go into this game with memories from last year where they saw their season come to an end with a loss in this very game.

"I think we're prepared for what's ahead in the future. Our minds are in it better than last year," Wiseman said.

One person that has no doubt Floyd County will go farther this year is Coach Daniel.

"I hope they complete the mission," Daniel said. "I'll probably be at the state game watching them."

FLOYD COUNTY 98, GRETNA 18

GRETNA (18-7)
King 3 0-0 6, Logan 2 1-2 5, Miller 1 1-4 3, Walthall 1 0-0 2, Barksdale 0 2-2 2, Gilbert 0 0-2 0. 7 4-10 18.

FLOYD COUNTY (22-3)
Wiseman 7 6-7 20, E. Boothe 5 1-3 12, H. Belshan 5 2-3 12, Gallimore 5 0-0 11, Thompson 5 0-0 10, Lytton 4 0-0 10, Underwood 2 3-4 7, A. Belshan 2 0-0 5, Quesenberry 3 1-1 7, N. Boothe 1 0-0 2, Eanes 1 0-0 2. Totals 40 13-18 98.

Score by quarter

Gretna 4 3 6 5 -- 18

Floyd County 24 37 24 13 -- 98

3-point goals
: Floyd County 5 (Lytton 2, E. Boothe, Gallimore, A. Belshan).

Gretna eliminated by Floyd County

One thing about it, Gretna had a decent W-L record. FC was just that much better. I don't feel as bad about losing to FC as I did losing to Chatham.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT