Fredericksburg Christian 70 Christchurch 19 Final

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
nm

This post was edited on 11/15 5:35 PM by wgarlick

And FCS wonders why no one wants to schedule them

Who wants to put a program on their schedule who will run up the score like FCS did today. 70 to 19 after 3 quarters ...... I know it was the state championship, but come on man! Good luck adding teams to your schedule next year

Re: And FCS wonders why no one wants to schedule them

Looks like they took their foot off the gas in the 4th quarter or they might have been able to get to 100... I wonder what the record is for points in a State Championship game?

I personally don't have a huge issue with them playing all out for 3 quarters and coasting in the 4th with that margin.

I promised I would applaud and give credit to FCS if they won today by a hefty margin; they were, simply put, the better football team. Hats off to them for a perfect season.

But let me be clear as a spectator of this game: FCS blew Christchurch out, but they also kicked two onside kicks in the second half. AFTER LEADING BY MORE THAN 30 (I REPEAT, 30) points. I also want to take the time to say that I am not a sore loser, but a disappointed fan due to the poor sportsmanship displayed by FCS's coaching staff.

They were the better team, period. But throwing a bomb to the endzone with 3 seconds left in the first half while winning by 30 points BEFORE THE HALF??? (Score was 49-19 at halftime I believe) I understand making a point that you're better, but this isn't college ball, this isn't the pros, and in the Pros OR College that would be condemned nationally.

But again, hats off to the better football team in Fredericksburg Christian.

Rocketballz, if you read this: you were right, their physicality and speed was remarkable to watch and I look forward to hearing some of those kids on FCS's team's names on Saturdays.

I apologize for anyone I might offend, but in all seriousness I am strongly against running up the score against a team that deserved to be in that game by due process of winning just as much as the victor. Hats off to both teams for great seasons.

Well on the bright side for Christchurch, their kids still have their trust funds to look forward to once they are eligible to get them. Only $48,000 a year to drop them off at the boarding school to let someone else raise them.

I truly enjoy seeing posts like this from HS football fans. Since coming to VA a few years ago one thing is consistent with teams in the private school league and the VHSL. It's running up the score if it happens to your team or a team you like, if your team scores a bunch of points or it happens to a team you don't like then that's ok not running up the score. If any team in the private school league has trouble scheduling games then their governing body is not doing its job. I checked Maxpreps back multiple years and their are numerous games that look like the score was run up when the team is running dive right/dive left or scoring on defense. All teams at some point end up on the wrong side of the score board when it happens you get the kids coached up and get ready to play again. You shouldn't say we are not going to play you. If running up the score means schools will not schedule you then a bunch of teams will have no games. Come on man let them play-

Grow up, your an absolute disgrace and a child. Hope you sleep well at night having said that.

You have no clue what you are even talking about. Almost 75 percent of the Christchurch student body is on financial aid, and for good reason. Apply this argument to Woodberry or Episcopal if you please, but you'll still find yourself sadly mistaken.

But hey, ignorance is bliss. Like I said, hope having allows you to sleep much more secure at night.

Cost of attendance aside, it is poor form to put up that many points on an opponent at any level. Perhaps FCS should try to challenge themselves by playing a couple of good D1 or D2 teams from Central VA like Woodberry or STAB.

Again, I'm not familiar with the privates and how it's set up but scheduling higher division teams should definitely give them a better challenge. Does a school have the option to move up freely within divisions on the private school side?

I believe that you can choose to play up a division. You can also schedule teams that are outside of your division. It looks like FCS scheduled some weaker division 1 teams like St. Stephens and John Paul the Great. If they are putting up 70 points, they would do better to be playing schools like WFS, Episcopal and Benedictine etc. The travel wouldn't be any worse.

Not sure coasting was the issue. More likely a running clock was the main factor.

Blowout rules are always tough. I remember a team that ran a fake punt up three scores with less than two minutes to play in the game. Caused a lot of hard feelings between coaches and when they played the next year there was a 57 point beat down, running clock and all. I have no problem with the touchdown just before half. Get all you can in the first half.

A for two onside kicks while up thirty...if true, that is definitely not Christian and coaches need to be told they represent the school not a club football team.

Not sure how this post showed up,on what is usually a decent fan board. So you are saying good sportsmanship can be forgotten because you charge tuition for a good college preparatory education? If you really want to think about what you just said, you are giving Church a huge compliment. Can you imagine how much harder it is to field a team when you have to convince players to leave home and pay large sums of money? Think how easy FCS has it merely convincing students to cross town and pay a relatively tiny tuition. With that advantage, they should win every year.

Guys it was one game in one year. It happens, you can't always predict it. In reality the game was on pace to be a barn burner. Neither defense was Stopping the other. Then Church lost their starting QB and the offensive game plan had to change. I am not saying that was going to change the winner/loser but I think the score wouldn't have been as bad. Hats off to FCS they are a good team and they outplayed Church yesterday. It was a good year for Church considering how last year went. I was happy to go back to states though I wish the outcome had been better for us.

Sol, you know I respect you as much as anybody on this forum. But, I just have to question the lessons taught by the winning coach in this game. For sure, i don't know a thing more about this game than what I read above. But two onsides kicks in the second half?

I don't have much problem with keeping the pedal to the floor in the first half. Even the long bomb is understandable as the half ended. But unless someone clearly states that FC just couldn't do anything but score, I think this second half was shameful. These are kids playing a game that is supposed to teach as much about being a good human being, as the X's and O's of football. What happened to "humble in victory, gracious in defeat".

DP

Dinwiddie I have to clarify, I was not condoning running up the score. I was trying to respond to the subject of "why would anyone want to play FCS " and if they should be playing up divisions. The onside kicks were not reasonable but some of the scoring just happened off of turnovers or bad tackling on inside runs. The only other real objection I had was that they could have substituted a lot more kids especially for those kids. That team won't be the same next year and it was a championship game. Get some of the backups in who work as hard and contributed but don't get to play.

Thanks, and I knew that wasn't what you were saying. You have too much class for that. I guess I was just in disagreement that it could be looked at as just one game out of a year. Like I said, I'm blind to the facts. So the coach may have be trying not to do the wrong thing. Last season when we had that killer team, we were sometimes accused of running it up. But the truth was, even the JV's played in most games. Only so much you can do to in some situations. I hope there was a good reason for the onside kicks. That just sounds disrespectful.

BTW, Skynard has a very complimentary post about the FCS Coach on the 4a thread.

I agree, that if he didn't give everyone short of the waterboy some playing time, that was not a good thing. But, that is why coaches coach, and fans aren't asked to provide input.

Are you going to catch a game somewhere this week?

I see the hypocrisy continues. DinwiddieProud I guess when you guys beat Colonial Heights 77-6 in 2013 your team was just being "humble in victory, gracious in defeat" while teaching everyone to be good human beings. As your colleague said its one game that occurred during one season.

By chance were you at that CH game?

So predictable and exactly the response I expected. I'm sure that because it's your team it was not running up the score they did everything right. Now you stand ready to defend your team by explaining how a score of 77-6 was not running up the score. You confirm my point from my earlier post. I am not looking to have a digital battle over this. Dinwiddie and FCS look like two great programs and I am certain that neither Dinwiddie or FCS ran up the score. Dinwiddie had an on side kick in their game and a defensive and special teams touchdowns, FCS had an on side kick to start the game and 2 defensive scores. Not sure about 2nd on side kick but FCS HC Coleman's record and reputation suggest to me he gets the benefit of doubt. So we take all that into account and we maybe have scores of 63-7 for Dinwiddie and 56-19 for FCS respectively. Does that make a difference? Do the coaches tell the kids don't return that fumble for touchdown. There are many positions that could be taken on this and be a discussion of its own. We the fans will never know all the details about what happened and if we are going to comment let's have as much information as possible before we signal the charge. With a little time and research you can draw a pretty good picture that shows both programs work hard to avoid running up the score. Check the coaches record, the stat lines and go to a game. There are to many reasons to count as to why something happens in a HS football game. I am simply suggesting that us adults think about what we post because not only do we see it but the kids who's teams and coaches we disparage see it and what does that tell them? Give them the benefit of the doubt and common courtesy for their efforts. The private school leagues scheduling format Ian's suggesting teams not schedule other teams is another matter for discussion.

There is a lot of talk on here about this blowout and oddly enough, a 51 point margin is not the highest one that I saw from this week's slate of games across the state.

I hear you Dinwiddie. I coached enough (youth league) to know that the fans (mostly parents) are the coaches worst enemy. I vowed then to never question a coaches decision, at least not in the moment.

Not knowing the FCS coach or his background I do have to say that they are a well coached team. A difficult offense to run successfully but they ran it very well.

I probably will not go to a HS game this weekend. It is now time to focus on college and if any games maybe able to catch a college game or two before they finish up for their season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT