ADVERTISEMENT

Freeman rallies for 7-6 win over James River

Central Region Tom

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2001
Both Freeman and James River had some miscues in the field and some late opportunities to win the game, but the Rebels ultimately prevailed in a 7-6, ten-inning battle. The Rapids had taken the lead in the top of the tenth when Mac Caples homered off Miller Trevvett and Jack Roberts followed with a triple, then scored on a throwing error. The Caples homer (which is on the highlight package linked below) is maybe the longest home run I've ever seen at Freeman, and I've been going to games there since I was five years old. It's certainly one of the two or three longest, at least. No one hits home runs to left-center at Freeman unless they're of the inside-the-park variety.

Down by two runs, the Rebels put together a last-ditch rally that won the game. Freeman got a trio of one-out single, the last of which came off the bat of Ethan Payne and drove in a run. Payne homered earlier in the game to pull Freeman to within 4-2. With the score now 6-5, Mac Caples entered the game to try to close it out. However, Caples first pitch resulted in another RBI single to tie the game at 6-6. Caples then got the second out on a soft ground ball that advanced the runners, leaving first base open. JR elected to walk heavy-hitting Jack Gerstenmaier intentionally to load the bases. Unfortunately, Caples then walked Trent Young on five pitches to complete the Rebel comeback, as Freeman got a walk-off, 7-6 win. The Rebels have lost only once all year, and will undoubtedly be the consensus #1 in the area next week. This is James River's second tough, one-run loss in as many games.

Click HERE for highlights!

JR 0020200002 6
DSF 0100300003 7

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT