ADVERTISEMENT

Henrico duo Sweep 804 All-Star Events

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
Just weeks after winning the 5A State championship, Henrico teammates Ryan Pearson and Walter Williams added to their trophy collection at the 804 All-Star game. Pearson won the 3-point shooting competition and Williams followed with a win in the slam dunk contest.

"It was just reminiscence from the state championship," Williams said. "Bringing it home all the trophy's all the gold. It keeps us pushing forward for more success."

Pearson, who is headed to the Naval Academy to play basketball when he graduates, had to fend off sharpshooters Brandon Holley of George Wythe, Devin Morgan of Matoaca, and Kenny Williams of L.C.Bird to win his title. Pearson made it to the second round by tying Williams with 10 points on three racks and then he edged Williams by one point (11-10) in the championship round.

"I wanted to shoot the ball the same way, my regular rotation, and shoot it at game speed," Pearson. "I knew that if I slowed my shot down I would be a little off. At the end, I still had a lot of time on the clock but I still shot it the same."

"It feels good going out during the high school season they way we did,' Pearson said. "And to know I left everything out there on the court and to come here and compete and have fun one more time is a good feeling."

Williams 1st dunk was a reverse power dunk and he received enough points from his 1st two dunks to reach the championship round. He used Pearson for his third dunk leaping over his 6-foot-2 teammate for a one-handed throwdown.

"I wanted to finish the dunk then work on the difficulty," Williams said. "You can get high in the air but if you don't finish then you cant get points so finishing was the main thing."

His final dunk was a bounce off the wall which was enough to beat out John Marshall leaper Tre Patterson and Millwood high flyer Malik Crute. Williams said the off-the-wall dunk was a risk.

"I just pulled that out of the air," Williams said. "I've never completed that dunk so to finish that dunk and to win it with that dunk that really made a big statement."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT