ADVERTISEMENT

Here's my gripe

NND Sports Fan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 1, 2002
Let me preface my rant by saying I appreciate those who officiate, and I also understand there is a shortage of officials. Seems like the only thing parents have a desire to do these days is berate the officials instead of cheering on their team. Now, what has bothered me the entire season is a seemingly (from my eyes and a I do wear glasses) lack of hustle by the officials. I understand the umpire is typically the oldest or most overweighted member of a crew, but come on show some desire. Just plain laziness I'm seeing. Earlier this year a team wanted to play fast but the umpire was so slow in spotting the ball that they had to give up that strategy. Then -- like Saturday's Westmoreland-Rappahanock game -- the crew tossed flags every other play. It took nearly an hour to play the 3rd quarter because of so many conferences by he officials who didn't seem to know the application of some penatlies.! Then Friday night, two teams that run the ball 90 percent of the time got together and there was just one flag tossed the entire night for holding. And it's not like these guys are fresh, young faces.
Maybe I'm overreacting -- and I know some officials whom I consider to be friends of mine -- but this is what I've been witnessing this season.

Couple of things: You're right that everyone on the field should hustle. Being slack or lazy is not professional.

Point 1 -- I have known lazy and unmotivated officials the entire time I've been doing this, and that goes back quite a ways. (I joined this board in 1999 and I wasn't exactly a rookie then). Is it worse now? I don't think so. My buddy, a fellow referee, thinks sportsmanship is worse than ever, but I remember plenty of poorly behaved players, coaches and fans in years past. I think in some ways they're better now. Are officials more lazy. Some are, no doubt, but I don't think the overall trend points to a worsening. Thinking things have gotten worse is normal, but I'm not sure it's accurate.

Point 2 -- the trope that the umpire is the oldest and fattest is a generalization, even among officials ('the umpire is the crew's supplier of Snickers and carries one onto the field' is an old joke) but less and less true. The position is unique in that it's not a place you just stick a guy. It's hazardous in there. Umpires are there because they want to be there. They like it. I umpired about 30 varsity games many years ago and I know it's the last place you want to just stick a guy who doesn't move too well. That's especially true as many states and some associations here in Virginia are working the umpire in the offensive backfield, like a center judge. This position has more movement than anyone on the field and soon be worked by the most mobile official.

Point 3 -- The number of flags thrown and the number of conferences held is not an indication of how well the crew is doing. You don't know what they were talking about so saying they "didn't seem to know the application of penalties" is a bit unfair. I've had games that are just ragged, full of flags, full of talking among ourselves. The players are not playing well, not disciplined, not in synch with each other. There is no tempo to the game. It's a wreck of a game and it's not the crew's fault. However, it can be made worse by a guy who's flag-happy or doesn't have experience in handling games like that and ends up making things worse. Those are hard games to work.

Point 4 -- I was not able to discern the meaning of the remark about two running teams with only one holding foul flagged. Are you saying that as a criticism, as in there must have been plenty of holds that were missed, or holding it up as an example of a good game, well played and well called?

Last edited:
I would rather work with a lazy official any day than a biased one. It is easier in basketball for me to help the lazy guy out. I just will not ever try to make up calls to even out the calls by the biased guy.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I would rather work with a lazy official any day than a biased one. It is easier in basketball for me to help the lazy guy out. I just will not ever try to make up calls to even out the calls by the biased guy.
Your experiences must be different than mine. In 38 years of officiating, I can confidently say that I've never worked with an official that I thought was demonstrating bias for a team.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT