ADVERTISEMENT

How are the officials doing this post season, anything stands out?

I've watched 16 basketball games since Jan. 28 and I did not care who won a single one of them. In 14 the officiating was outstanding. In two... well, I can't say it was bad, but there were just three completely different games being called on the same court. I would think that would be hard to play.

In each case one official called 75 percent of the fouls. I won't mention which games I covered, but after noticing this in one game, I kept track along with the other stats the next game. Saturday I covered a game with 34 total fouls -- one guy called 27 of them, one guy called 5 and one guy called 2. A ball that was up for grabs would be fought for on one part of the court, but if it was in another part there would be an over the back call or a push call every time. Not saying one was more or less right than another -- there's a reason I don't call hoops -- but I wonder how it is to play when you can't adjust to the style of the crew of officials, you have to adjust to the guy who's watching at that moment.

I know one official who during course of every game, blows his whistle more than his 2 partners combined. He blows it as if he gets pais on number of calls he makes. I think everyone in Danville/Chatham area knows who I am referring to.

A few years ago, the NFHS changed how we switch after calling a foul. It's created a situation where the same official can call a streak of fouls.

For example, you're working the lead position. Lead is on the endline in the front court. You call a foul, you report and you stay tableside, usually as the trail. When the ball goes the other way, you're now the lead again. You call a foul, report and you're now the trail official in front of the table again. We go the other way and you're the lead once again.

It's vicious cycle.
3dsmile.gif

Good point

I'd never thought about how that could happen. When it's two teams that attack the basket hard one official could end up calling a lot of fouls in a row and the fans say that he's the only one making calls but that's only because the call is in his area every time for a stretch. The other officials very likely would make the same calls but the call to be made just happens to be in the same official's zone because of what you pointed out. I'll have to keep a watch of that next time I see a game and see if it happens so.

I watched 3 games at the Siegel center yesterday. Thought the officiating was outstanding. You would expect that from men and women assigned to championship games, and it played out yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT