ADVERTISEMENT

How should this be administered????

NNDman

VaPreps All District
May 29, 2001
Team A attempts 35-yard field goal with 1 second left in first half. Team B blocks the kick that goes beyond the LOS. B scoops up the ball but whistle blows. Flag on field. B cited for roughing the kicker. BUT, shouldn't B have been given the opportunity to return the blocked kick?

Why? RtK is an automatic 1st down for the team on offense. Any "return" would be nullified. And the refs have that 'risk minimization' thing in their heads.
Was it a 'clean' roughing? If NOT, then the whistle might've been a tad early.

Inadvertent whistle. Based on the OP this kick is treated like a punt since it rolled beyond the LOS. Had this play on been on a "Try" then the whistle would have been appropriate based on FED rules as the try is over as soon as it is apparent that the try has failed.

This is an inadvertant whistle. It's an easy mistake to make an most officials will say to themselves when a field goal is being lined up that it's a live ball if blocked. I don't know of any official who considers risk minimization while a play is live.

That said, if an inadvertant whistle ends any down in which there is a live ball foul that is accepted (as this one is) the whistle is ignored and the penalty is enforced. So even though there was an inadvertant whistle on this play, it didn't matter. Officials should have marked the ball half the distance to the goal from the original line of scrimmage and marked it as first down. If the 1 second was left when the whistle killed the play then there is 1 second let. If there was 1 second left when the play started and the clock expired, then there will be 1 untimed down.

If you'll indulge me a brief story. Big game. Close late, Lots of tension. Team A punts high and not very deep. Return man signals for a fair catch. Kicking team member in coverage gets in the way and bumps receiver. Back judge flags it just as the ball comes down and goes straight through the receivers arms and bounces off his knee. There is a mad scramble for the ball and the back judge (an excellent official) has a moment of panic-confusion because of the strnage play and he blows his whistle while the ball is loose, just before its recovered by the kicking team. They start celebrating and he just dies a thousand deaths. He comes up to me with this crestfallen look and apologizes for screwing up that play so bad with an IW. Another deep official comes in and says there's a flag for kick catch interference. (As a referee, I never get to see these things. I rely on being told about the important action downfield.) I ask the back judge: "You had a flag?"
Yes, he said, KCI on the kicking team No 14.
"OK then, none of the rest of that stuff makes any difference at all. Enforce the penalty, rekick and go on with the game.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
White Hat-I can picture that scenario precisely and this is why in my games (NCAA) on the very rare occasion I'm at BJ I tuck the lanyard whistle away on punts and use the finger whistle when a fair catch is signaled. The muffed fair catch is the #1 cause of IW's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT