ADVERTISEMENT

I got to learn to be patient.

HokieTDTech

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 26, 2012
congratulations on the JV and varsity win last night!! Over 3A Rustburg today is a new day i'm very thankful for the opportunities that are given.

This post was edited on 2/12 7:41 AM by HokieTDTech

This post was edited on 2/12 8:09 AM by HokieTDTech

Re: When to sub

I also find myself questioning some substitutions (or lack there of) at times. I am not a fan of the 6-7 man rotations that some teams seem hell bent on using at the high school level, particularly when the talent dropoff isn't that steep. Some of the old Lee teams could play 10 different players and not miss a beat and that was fun to watch. I much prefer teams that use an 8-10 man rotation (or more for teams like Stuarts Draft) during the regular season.

I agree with you hokietdtech, in order for players to get better they have to actually play in real game situations--not just get on the court for a minute to play stall ball.

I have often wondered that myself. But the more players you can play, the better.

To use Stuart's Draft as an example of how to sub is very puzzling to me....players do not get a chance to get in flow of the game if u constantly sub...and I'm sure the coaches know their players better then the fans do most times...it's fine to sub if you have the players to do so, but, in close games, I want my best five to play as much as possible...granted, there are exceptions, but, generally most high school teams go 7 deep at best and I really don't think that Stuart's Draft would be a good example...look at their record..their style of play is very entertaining, but, do u want to be entertained in losing or bored in winning???

I said "or more for teams like Stuarts Draft" they weren't my example dwcherb. I like an 8-10 man rotation where you can get in for a decent amount of time, SD plays a style where they can rotate like 15 players and are only on the court for like 2 minutes at a time sometimes. Lee was my example.

As you get into the playoffs, I can see pulling back on the subs a little bit I would try to get more kids in the game during the regular season.
This post was edited on 2/12 2:29 PM by Keith_Stone33

Stuarts Draft's system is different than just about any other one that I've seen in this area and perhaps the state-- that is why I said more for them, as they feel the need to sub 15 guys per game to keep up the fast pace and try to wear the other teams down. I think it would be a fun system to play in and when they get hot they are darn near unbeatable, but that system gives up too much on defense and if you arent shooting lights out that becomes a problem.

There was a school recently that won a state championship with 5 players. In title game they never did sub if my memory is correct.

That's pretty impressive... If you have 5 studs and some bench players who arent anywhere near the talent level desired, sometimes it makes more sense to do that in the playoffs. Really just depends on the talent dropoff from your starters to your bench players and for most (not all) schools I have seen, players 3-4 and 5 are not that much better than players 6-7 and 8. As you get to 9-10-11-12 etc. that's where some teams start to have a larger dropoff, but even then, I've seen some teams where players 3-12 were not that different in ability to one another.

Was that Colonial Beach from a few years back, with TT Carey and company?

James River

It was James River (Buchanan) - They defeated Dan River in overtime in the semifinals and Radford in the Finals to win and they only played 5 in the title game (6 I believe against DR).

Re: James River

Just to clarify, 2010 JR won title game against Buckingham using 3 sr's,1 jr and a sophomore, they lost the title game the next year to Radford.

James River

OnceAKnight, Thanks for the clarification. I knew they beat DR but I wasn't sure who they defeated for the title. I knew them and Radford played one of those years, but I wasn't able to attend in 2010 or 2011 due to work.

Re: James River

Your welcome, Should have played DR in 2009 for the title, but that in itself is a whole different story.

Gretna subs very little. They play 7 most games, but starters see most of minutes.

MascotMemorizer

On a side note that team only lost two games that year, both to then group 2A (old classification). They split with eventual state champ Cave Spring, won at home by double figures and took them to OT at CS. They also split with Liberty in close games. Those 3 Sr's only lost about 10 games (or less) on the teams they played with during the high school careers. Their various teammates during that time were talented ball players also. JR made it to state qtrs or semi's or finals each year from 2007-2011. Pretty dang impressive for what was mostly a group of country boys, you can't call anything in Botetourt a city.

Re: MascotMemorizer

OnceAKnight, those were some exciting seasons put together by that group. Hard to believe that those young men use to have that big gym packed for games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT