ADVERTISEMENT

Inquiring minds want to know!

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Will somebody break down the six teams in Conference 21b for me, please?

About the only thing I think I know is that Parkview rarely wins a game?

Isn't Dominion a new "split off" school?

The only other thing I know about up there, is that the traffic is horrible!

This post was edited on 3/27 6:51 PM by DinwiddieProud

Help me out here Shaunty. You usually have as much insight as anyone.

And Hammy, this is pretty close to your turf. You should know something of these teams.

Sherando- Winchester area school
Woodgrove- Leesburg school that is new
Millbrook- Winchester area school, newest school in that area
James Wood- Winchester area school
Loudoun County- I believe one of the oldest HS's in Loudoun
Dominion- New HS I believe opened when Woodgrove/Tuscarora did
Heritage-Leesburg- Fairly new not new like Dominion and them
Park View-Sterling- A school that has been hit by all the openings of these new schools since the late 90s

Loudoun County opens a new HS about every other year if I'm not mistaken. You have Riverside High School, and Rockridge HS brand new as well. And John Champe is only a couple years old and they are 3A.

According to the VHSL website, the following teams are 21B in 2015

Dominion - Been around awhile and in the playoffs the last few years. Play a very tough schedule, as do most of the Loudoun County teams
Heritage (Le) - A former 3A team playing almost all their games against 4's and 5's. Tough for them to get into the playoffs.
Loudoun County - been around awhile. Some good years. Some not but pretty steady considering where they play.
Loudoun Valley - been around awhile and has had back to back good seasons. Former 3A team. Since they play against 4's and 5's all season anyway, the transition should not be hard.
Park View (Sterling) - Also been around awhile but have fallen off the map in recent years with only 2 wins in the last 3 years.
RockRidge - is brand spanking so there's no telling what they'll being to the table.

The area up there in NOVA and the Dulles/Leesburg corridor is among the most competitive in the State. The schedules for these squads is just killer. Almost every team in the State has games on their schedule that they know they should win if their program is solid. These guys get one. The rest are real battles, even with the former 3A's. IMO, a team like Salem would never be able to maintain the level of success they've had over the years if they played the schedule these NOVA teams do.

Lastly, I commuted to NOVA from the Burg for almost 30 years. Traffic does indeed suck and it only got worse every year. Many times, it took 3 hours to get home. Bumper to bumper, all the way. Never in less than 1.5 hours.

Dominion opened in 2003.

Park View made the playoffs as recently as 2009, but the coach left and the demographic trends have not been favorable to them.

Thanks, you two.

Brings to mind many of the schedules in the tidewater region. The growth has slowed down there, relative to NOVA, but the way the schedules play out is similar. You can have a 4 or 5 win team in 3a, even 4a that is just as stout as many of the 8 to 9 win teams elsewhere.

The growth in NOVA almost defies belief. I can appreciate people seeking the high paying jobs up there, but man, the price they pay. The traffic and commute is a heck of a burden. But, for me, to be part of a community that many, if not most of the families can claim to be two, three, four, even five generations connected to the area is a tremendous asset. This is something that is basically non existent up there. It's hard for me to believe that most of the population in NOVA have any sense of being truly vested in their communities, let alone their schools.

Is this a bad thing for high school athletics? Maybe, maybe not. Probably more perspective than anything else.

It has been a long, long time since I visited the Winchester area, but it is clear the growth in that area has been tremendous also. My mother came from Berryville. I remember as a young boy taking frequent visits to the area to visit family. My mother used to talk about Clarke County HS football. They must have been a powerhouse in that era. I seem to remember something about a very long undefeated streak?

Wow, what a difference a day, (or a whole bunch of days), makes. There are probably more high schools in the greater Winchester area now than there were students at Ckarke County HS back then, (facetiously spoken).

Federal spending cut backs will slow 757 and NOVA growth some. Will also slow Southern Chesterfield, CH, Petersburg, and Prince George in the Ft Lee corridor. Won't help Dinwiddie either.

Not to say the decline west of Richmond will slow any. Schools are driven by the economies of the areas they are in.

I don't know about that. Loudon County is the 2nd richest in America and the #2 fastest growing (as per Forbes 2014 listing). Quite a combo. I don't imagine a decrease in Federal Funding will impact them much at all.

The commute was always a burden but it was lifted every time I pulled onto the cul-de-sac and saw my kids happy and safe, playing with their friends. I don't know that anything in my life has been more worthwhile or satisfying.

Tommy, I'm not sure the cutbacks at Ft Lee are going to be felt as significantly as it would appear. The possible exception would be the Prince George County School System. I can't verify this fact, but I believe that PG has the lions share of students connected to families based at Ft. Lee. So a significant drop in student census would certainly be felt by PG.

The "off base" consumer spending will certainly be felt to some extent, but very few businesses are wholly dependent on military and military families for the majority of their traffic. The motel industry will be minimally affected, as the "on base" TDY housing had already reduced this to a shadow of what it once was.

If you are familiar with this area already, you will know that the least affected locality will be Petersburg. This is simply because there are so few viable business choices left in Petersburg anymore. Most of the retail businesses migrated elsewhere.

Hopewell, as well as Prince George, are situated at the main gate of Fort Lee. This area has a number of businesses that cater directly to young soldiers. And this is often the first stop for many of them. But, this is a small part of the overall economic picture of both of these localities.

Colonial Heights has always been a destination for Ft. Lee personnel. Certainly a reduction of troops will be felt, but this area is vibrant and growing, and is not heavily dependent on Ft. Lee. It may slow the growth, but it won't stop it.

With respect to civilian support personnel, a loss of jobs in this sector will be spread out so far and wide that it will hardly be noticed by local economies.

Chesterfield and Dinwiddie will essentially "not be affected". With respect to Dinwiddie, there never was the expected surge in student enrollment. In fact, there has been some finger pointing at the previous school board and school administration for the size of the two new schools that were built at the time of BRAC. The retail establishments in both of these localities will hardly notice any downturn in business, as most serve locals and some Interstate travelers.

With the exception of Petersburg, and to a lesser extent, Hopewell, the greater Tri-City area is healthy and growing. The area has good economic viability, independent of Ft Lee.

But I do agree, NOVA is vulnerable to DOD cutbacks. But I wonder if any of this affects high school sports significantly?

Chesterfield CCPS gets funding from the DOD to handle students. The Supervisors are very concerned about the cut backs at Ft Lee. The base has a material effect on southern Chesterfield especially in the multi family housing market. I can tell you that owners are very concerned about the declining armed forces market.

I saw the flip side in the early 80's in Prince William as a young Marine officer. Schools were rapidly filling up in the Dale City area and foundation the rise of Potomac and Hylton was being laid.

Military Transfers

Career military families transfer into NOVA and 757 with teen age children. Gar Field, Woodbridge, and Hylton would have several Marine and Army military kids each year.

One of the best known military family players was Robert Banks of Hampton.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT