ADVERTISEMENT

IWA 55 Fuqua 7

I haven't seen them play, but I don't think IWA should overlook Roanoke. They should win out and may get the number 1 seed.

With almost twice as many boys, IWA has an advantage on Catholic but Catholic is a really solid team with a good running game. I like their chances.

Chief62 - I agree with you, I think Catholic and beat them. IWA is tough but I think if they play to their strength (ground game) they have a good shot at beating them.

RC can beat Isle of Wight, no doubt, but RC has not played anyone on their schedule with the type of athletes IWA has. IWA is loaded with fast athletes who transferred in from public schools this year. Roanoke Catholic plays a good ground and pound offensive game, but IWA will get the edge all night offensively with their speed and quickness. IWA will win the D4 title with their speed and quickness. Last time RC played a 757 team with fast athletes in the playoffs was several years ago when Greenbrier put up 50+ points on them.

Armyof11 you are right. IWA has something this year they have not had in a long time, SPEED! That will be the difference because teams can't match the speed IWA has on offense. Only thing in doubt now is will they have to travel to Roanoke to get the trophy?

Has any of you guys seen both teams play?
I can't imagine another team in D4 having the kind of skill players that IWA has this year. I don't know that I've ever seen a team at Isle of Wight have so much speed.

I saw IWA and Atlantic Shores game. Granted Atlantic Shores is D3 but Atlantic Shores seemed much faster on both sides and especially their defense. I haven't seen any other D4 teams.

Yeah, so much faster on defense that they gave up over 300 yards, 170 of which were on the ground...
I think it's a little bit of a stretch to make it seem like IWA was that overmatched in that game.

Sorry, I have no dog in this fight just giving my opinion on how the game looked. No one from IWA could run away from Atlantic Shores defense as I recall and receivers couldn't get by defense. Sure the stats are what stated but just giving my opinion on the question regarding speed. Guess I should learn my lesson as a newby following Virginia HS football?

Atlantic Shores is really good D3 team. If IOW played with them, they are a force. Catholic schedule is not that tough but they are not defending champ for nothing. Their running back from Franklin County is real deal. Out of curiosity, how many transfers from public school to IOW this year? For real or just usual patter when team is doing well? Are they Fredricksburg Christian 2.0?

IWA'S biggest and best transfer is from Smithfield, Donald King. He was the Bay Rivers player of the year last year as a sophmore. I believe he ran for 1000 yds as a freshman and over 1300 as a sophmore in the Bay Rivers district. I know they had kiss come from Windsor and Smithfield. IWA is for real, and when they played Shores it was their first game of the year, and they were trying to gel and gain their identidy. IWA had a chance to tie Shores late in the game with a 2 pt conversion but failed. On ensuing kickoff with a minute to play, Shores ran onside kick back. IWA lost by 10 to an undefeated d3 team.

Playing in D4, IWA is the real deal. They are by far the largest school enrollment-wise playing football in D4. Their roster includes a handful of public school transfers, the big one being the RB King. A few of the other transfers, skill players, are very good, too. Plus, 12 out of the 30-some kids on their roster are seniors. That's a pretty stacked bunch. Keep in mind, IWA went 4-5 last year...and now they're pretty much rolling over everyone they play. Just shows what a handful of transfers and a larger-than-everyone else- enrollment can do in one year's time. It's gonna hurt them a ton next year having to move up to D3 with a team that's losing nearly half their roster due to graduation... But who knows, maybe they will simply bring in a slew of public school transfers again and they'll do just fine next year in D3....

Roanoke Catholic can compete with them only if they are able to scheme against IWA's speed. As has already been stated on this thread, I think Catholic will be fine on offense. RCS has two running backs averaging over 100 yards rushing per game, and the kid from Franklin County is lights out when he gets the edge. It will be a matter of somehow stopping IWA defensively. RCS has a strong/penetrating defensive line, and a good LB corp anchored by a senior first year player who was an All-State and All-Timesland wrestler last year. The kid is big, fast, strong, and can run sideline to sideline all day. A lot will depend on IWA's ability to block him.

But hey, RCS still has to get through Richmond Christian this Friday. There's no guarantee that Catholic wins that game as Richmond looks pretty darn good. I'm not sure, but I think IWA's toughest games for this regular season are already behind them...

D4ball. Catholic is worried about RC? If so, that just reassures me more that IWA can go ahead and order rings now. I hope Catholic can give IWA a good game. I would hate to see a 50-7 championship game. IWA had chances to beat AS but the coaches didn't know how to use the transfers yet. Didn't take long for them to figure out that you need to put your best athletes on the field. As far as reloading with transfers next year? I think this is just the beginning at IWA. They have got a taste of it this year and with the way they like to win I think they will continue to accept transfers that will only be there 1, maybe 2 years. JUST WIN BABY!

D4ball. Catholic is worried about RC? If so, that just reassures me more that IWA can go ahead and order rings now. I hope Catholic can give IWA a good game. I would hate to see a 50-7 championship game. IWA had chances to beat AS but the coaches didn't know how to use the transfers yet. Didn't take long for them to figure out that you need to put your best athletes on the field. As far as reloading with transfers next year? I think this is just the beginning at IWA. They have got a taste of it this year and with the way they like to win I think they will continue to accept transfers that will only be there 1, maybe 2 years. JUST WIN BABY!

Lol. I guess you and I are different in that I never like to underestimate anyone or any team. That's why Catholic shouldn't overlook a decent Richmond Christian team...and that's also why IWA shouldn't order those state title rings just yet. Too many times premature talk before a game ends up making someone look foolish... But again, I guess that's where you and I are different.

As far as IWA just reloading with one-year transfers every year and becoming Fredericksburg Christian 2.0... Sure thing, and have fun doing it in Division III, where IWA belongs, rather than trying to stay down in D4 and win a title in a division they've far outgrown.

That's an interesting thought.
I've been following Isle of Wight Academy football since the late 90s when the Williams brothers lead IWA to 2 state titles (and played from 03-07). To my knowledge, during that time span there has not been a single impact transfer to play there until this season.
I don't really understand the influx of transfers this year, seemingly out of nowhere, but it happened. Are you implying you would turn them down? You'd turn them away? "Ya know, we would accept you, but you're a little too talented of a football player for us to accept you and we're a little worried about what everyone would say." Give me a break man, nobody would do that.
Either way, I don't see this becoming a trend. Again, I'd point to the success IWA has seen for years without a single transfer.

That's an interesting thought.
I've been following Isle of Wight Academy football since the late 90s when the Williams brothers lead IWA to 2 state titles (and played from 03-07). To my knowledge, during that time span there has not been a single impact transfer to play there until this season.
I don't really understand the influx of transfers this year, seemingly out of nowhere, but it happened. Are you implying you would turn them down? You'd turn them away? "Ya know, we would accept you, but you're a little too talented of a football player for us to accept you and we're a little worried about what everyone would say." Give me a break man, nobody would do that.
Either way, I don't see this becoming a trend. Again, I'd point to the success IWA has seen for years without a single transfer.

Not sure how Catholic admin would handle a slew of public school transfers...they would have to meet all kinds of qualifications, not just "...you're a talented football player..." RCS definitely would not take a bunch of one-year-and-done senior transfers... That's not the mission of the school plus you don't get the tradition of going to RCS by just showing up for one year, winning a title, and then moving on... To my knowledge, RCS has only accepted ONE senior transfer in last 6 years....and that was only because the kid had previously attended RCS. Just different philosophies...

So now you're implying that IWA didn't have any qualifications for those transfers to meet?
If I'm a rising senior looking to transfer to RC, I meet every qualification, and will pay tuition to go there, you'd turn me away?

So now you're implying that IWA didn't have any qualifications for those transfers to meet?
If I'm a rising senior looking to transfer to RC, I meet every qualification, and will pay tuition to go there, you'd turn me away?

I didn't imply anything about IWA and their transfers...I was talking about Roanoke Catholic and how they handle transfers...

And I don't think you understood me fully. Roanoke Catholic does not take senior transfers - qualifications or not - tuition money or not. Like I said, they've only taken ONE senior transfer the last half-decade and an exception was made for that student because the student attended RCS previously for many years. Plus, it feels so much better to win titles with kids you've coached up for several years and grown through the program, rather than just take a bunch of senior-athlete transfers who come in and win a title for you and then leave the school several months later...

Oh I agree totally, it does feel good to win with guys that have gone to the school for many years. I know what it's like, I've lived it haha
But that's a whole other story. It's not the players' fault that the school accepted them when they transferred. It's also not the program's fault that they wanted to attend Isle of Wight Academy.
Think about it this way: exclude the fact that we're talking about athletes that transfer. If I was a rising junior or senior that wanted to transfer simply because I felt that the educational program and the community at Roanoke Catholic would greatly benefit me and help me become a better student, are you saying I still couldn't attend?

Oh I agree totally, it does feel good to win with guys that have gone to the school for many years. I know what it's like, I've lived it haha
But that's a whole other story. It's not the players' fault that the school accepted them when they transferred. It's also not the program's fault that they wanted to attend Isle of Wight Academy.
Think about it this way: exclude the fact that we're talking about athletes that transfer. If I was a rising junior or senior that wanted to transfer simply because I felt that the educational program and the community at Roanoke Catholic would greatly benefit me and help me become a better student, are you saying I still couldn't attend?

You are correct (to my knowledge as I can't speak for RCS). But what I have come to know over the past many years is that regardless of whether a student is an athlete or not, RCS does not take senior transfers. One year is hardly enough time to "greatly benefit and make someone a better student." They do take junior transfers and below...

redwhite51. I believe that only 1 of the 5 transfers just moved to the area. If IWA is such a good match why haven't they been there since day 1? Why wait till you are a junior or senior to transfer? The King kid was ruled ineligible to play at Smithfield HS, that is why he is at IWA. As for meeting the entrance criteria, I'm sure IWA made sure they met all requirements. IWA has tradition, no doubt. Just going to be hard to continue with kids that show up for 1 year and are gone. "FAMILY" is what makes IWA IWA.

redwhite51. I believe that only 1 of the 5 transfers just moved to the area. If IWA is such a good match why haven't they been there since day 1? Why wait till you are a junior or senior to transfer? The King kid was ruled ineligible to play at Smithfield HS, that is why he is at IWA. As for meeting the entrance criteria, I'm sure IWA made sure they met all requirements. IWA has tradition, no doubt. Just going to be hard to continue with kids that show up for 1 year and are gone. "FAMILY" is what makes IWA IWA.

My point exactly, LetsSee. Why, all the sudden...5 transfers who've lived in the area for years just simply realize that IWA is this amazing bastion of academic excellence and only NOW, as a Senior, feel the need to transfer to get those wonderful educational skills for their future. Lol. Gimme a break. It's all about athletics. It's all about trying to win a state title with public school transfers in a much smaller league. And, it's very interesting to hear that the King kid was ruled ineligible at Smithfield HS, and somehow he's able to play in VISAA? I wonder what that's all about... Please Lord, no more Fuqua's this year....This rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper and deeper... (Siiiiigh)

This whole thread has really gotten out of control with baseless accusations. Calling out individual students is really low, even for some on this board.

It is a real shame what this board has devolved into.....

Look guys, all I'm trying to do is defend the school. The players, nor the school, have not committed foul play.
If Roanoke Catholic has certain standards they govern their school by as it relates to student transfers then that is their preference. That is what I was trying to clarify so I would know the context.
But you can't press those same standards on every other school though and act like they're compromising the rules or integrity of the game simply because you don't accept transfers. They may compromise your preference, but they aren't compromising any rules.

Look guys, all I'm trying to do is defend the school. The players, nor the school, have not committed foul play.
If Roanoke Catholic has certain standards they govern their school by as it relates to student transfers then that is their preference. That is what I was trying to clarify so I would know the context.
But you can't press those same standards on every other school though and act like they're compromising the rules or integrity of the game simply because you don't accept transfers. They may compromise your preference, but they aren't compromising any rules.

Totally agree, redwhite51. You are correct that one school that has transfer standards cannot press those standards on other schools. Some schools just have higher standards and protect their mission a little closer than others, especially when it comes to senior transfers. And some might argue that a school that simply brings in a slew of senior transfers every year to compete for championships might be toying with the integrity of the game. It's certainly not illegal, but is that the right way to do things in high school athletics? What kind of identity does a school like that have in the long run regarding their athletic department? Are state titles worth celebrating for a school that wins said titles with a bunch of senior transfers? Kids that just come in for senior year, have only been at the school for a couple months and then take over starting positions from the kids who have been invested in the school for years....Just questions to ponder...

And I don't think anyone has accused any school or player of committing "foul play" as you call it. A previous poster simply mentioned that one player was ineligible at a previous public school, so that player transferred to a private D4 school. I simply found that intriguing. Didn't mean to offend anyone. I think that what went on last year in D4 and eligibility questions with another school simply has everyone in D4 on high alert this year...

It is ultimately up to school administration to make decisions that protect the school's reputation.

North Cross has passed on numerous athletes in the 11th grade that could have helped the team and taken some. It all depends on a bunch of different factors, academic, financial, family, politically. I think they have one junior transfer on the football team this year and maybe a second that is playing football for the first time. My guess is that they are both paying a big chunk of tuition. They do not generally take senior transfers unless they are part of a family moving to the area. My point is that they were decisions by school admin and we cannot know what went in to it.

Catholic may be a bit holier than thou by my accounting (schedule North Cross!) but they do think long and hard about transfers late in the game. They also do not take senior transfers as a rule. I believe this is not only admirable, it is necessary to make your diploma mean something. School admin protects their school.

For whatever reason, the admin at IWA took five or so transfers this year. It is a bit strange if they are seniors but the running back is probably a reclass sophomore. Maybe he is paying full tuition and they needed the revenue... Who knows? The school leaders know and the school reputation will suffer if the admissions decisions were bad. Watch where the kids go to college. Are they going to college now and they wouldn't have before? Do they leave when the coach leaves? I don't actually believe any of this as I think they brought in a bunch of athletes but my point is only school admin really knows what went on.

Don't know the area that well but I would rather my kid go to Norfolk Academy with their academic reputation and they do not have a championship football tradition. Pretty sure they do not have many junior or senior transfers because they value their academic reputation. They also have more money than most so again maybe those five transfers to IOW were all full boat. Maybe...

Reactions: D4ball
This whole thread has really gotten out of control with baseless accusations. Calling out individual students is really low, even for some on this board.

It is a real shame what this board has devolved into.....

Baseless accusations? Not calling anyone out. Facts are facts. The Daily Press article is below

Marty O'BrienContact ReporterDaily Press
Donald King, who led the Bay Rivers District in rushing as a sophomore in 2014 at Smithfield High, will play for Isle of Wight Academy this season his mother, Charnell King, said on Friday. Charnell King said that her son has been accepted to IWA and, after taking a course that will ensure his eligibility (academically), will play for the Chargers.
She said that she expects Donald King to be eligible to play in the Chargers second game, which will be Sept. 4 at home against Portsmouth Christian. Charnell King said earlier this week that she was unhappy with Smithfield High and withdrew Donald from Isle of Wight County Schools.
King's departure is a blow for the Smithfield football team after he starred for the Packers the past two seasons. King ran for more than 1,000 yards (and 15 touchdowns) as a freshman in 2013, then led the Bay Rivers District in rushing in 2014 with 1,325 yards and 18 touchdowns in the 10-game regular season.

Reactions: D4ball
I think he played in their opening game vs AS. On the other side is the grand assumption that there is misconduct. Sometimes players just want a change of scenery, parents want a different style of education, some see it as being a place to get noticed, some don't like SOL's, some players link up (See Basketball-AAU) or look at it this way. Would you want your kid to play for that program and coach? As a parent, I'd like my kid to play for IWA's Coach or RC's. I think that's why they are independent schools they get to make their standards whether we agree or not.

Reactions: gwb16
There was also a big coaching staff shake up at SHS last year. The players and a LOT of parents hands down favorite to take over the HC position left to coach in the college ranks after the Administration, in TYPICAL IOW fashion, dragged their feet way too long to begin the interview process. I don't know if that played a part in their decision, but you can't discount it.

If this was a "football move", there were a lot of better choices than IWA...Hampton, Phoebus come to mind. Not to discredit IWA, because their coaching staff is genuinely a good bunch. But the facts remain, you haven't seen any high profile college coaches stopping by IWA for a chat with the coach, AD or kids historically over the years.

I could also name two kids from Smithfield that tried to get into IWA over the last several years that were turned away, and they too, would have been tremendous assets to their football team. Everyone is talking about those that got in this year, no one is interested in the ones that have been turned away over the years?

Reactions: Rooster89
Out of everything that's been said here...Chief's words stick out to me the most:
"They also do not take senior transfers as a rule. I believe this is not only admirable, it is necessary to make your diploma mean something. School admin protects their school."

Couldn't agree more. Some schools abide by that philosophy...other's don't.

Reactions: gwb16
I've read the comments on this thread and wanted to let the people with there lack of knowledge of IWA,know the facts. My kids have been there since preschool and IWA is a great school and education comes first.As far as the kids that came to our school this year,they came to the school for personal reasons and naming them on this thread should not be tolerated.The kid that you named is a junior not a senior,and all of them not only qualify to our standards they are all doing very well.Just to clear your doubts about our team,we were going to make a run for the playoffs before any of these kids join our school.we already had the top quarterback and running back returning from last year.The boys work very hard and are having a good season,they are not focused on any one team that might make the championship.they are taking everything week by week.they know they can lose any week if they don't stay focused.they will ride the good fortune they are having until it ends,then the seniors will move on to college and life.so please educate yourselves on our school and players before making these uneducated remarks.this year is know different from any other year everyone seems to hate winners.

I can certainly appreciate where you are coming from and I get what you're saying. It's okay for us to agree to disagree...But first, let's deal with the naming of the one individual transfer on this thread. There are newspaper articles and other media sources that have already named him publicly, spoken of his ineligibility at his previous school, and discussed his transfer to IWA for those reasons. So, I'm not sure why naming him here is so terrible. Like a previous poster said, facts are facts. What's wrong with repeating the already-made-public facts? Why try to force other posters to tip-toe around those already-made-public facts?
Next, no one is trashing IWA as a school or their transfers. I just think some posters on this thread, and others in D4 from all around VA, simply see an influx of "late in the game" FOOTBALL player transfers to a small D4 school as...eyebrow raising. Especially when IWA already had the largest enrollment, by far, of any other D4 football school without the transfers...(technically they are D3 level and will be there next year). So, I think the questions remain...is IWA just FCS 2.0...as another poster asked earlier.
Finally, I don't know if it's accurate to say IWA was poised to make a big playoff run this year without the transfers. If memory serves me correctly, IWA went 4-5 last year and didn't make the playoffs. Returning QB/RB or not, those two players were only good enough to get IWA 4 wins last year, a losing record, and no playoff berth. NOW, add all the transfers to the equation, and look at the difference. IWA has outscored their five D4 opponents this year 249 pts to 55 pts. And only ONE team out of those five D4 opponents has scored more than a touchdown against IWA in any one of those games (Broadwater). IWA is rolling every team they play, and only lost to the #1-ranked D3 team by 10 pts (that should tell you, by far, that IWA should be in D3, not D4). Again, no one is accusing IWA of doing anything illegal...you just have to realize that when a small D4-classed school gets a random, big influx of older public school football transfers and then starts blowing out all the teams in D4...people are going to question it and the philosophy of the athletic department.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT