ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Nugget James Lands D1 offer

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
Benedictine junior Malik James made the most of his limited opportunities as a pass rusher for the Cadets. James was credited with 10 tackles in five games but half of them went for loss. He also had 1.5 sacks. That limited exposure was enough land James a scholarship offer from Bethune Cookman University; a D1 school in Daytona Beach Florida who competes in the MEAC.

"The Bethune Cookman offer came after a phone from Coach McCray," James said. "He said he liked my film and showed the defensive line coach and they decided to offer me."

James playing time was limited last season because he played behind two seniors on the depth chart including All-State Chris Collins who signed a scholarship to the University of North Carolina. James made the most of his opportunity to learn from a D1 ACC commit.

"He taught me leadership qualities," James said about Collins. "He improved my football IQ and I learned alignment and assignment from him. He led by example and showed me how to go on the football field and talk with your pads. He was an overall mentor to me."

You figure if James can get an offer as a backup then the sky's the limit in regards to more offers during his junior season. He goes into his 3rd year as a projected starter on a defense that returns D1 talent throughout the defense.

"Since I was a backup, coaches didn't get to see what I can do for a full season," James said. "What I hope to show coaches is that I can dominate and be a difference maker on the field. I want to improve every game and play each week and learn to be a better player."

In addition to football, James was also a standout wrestler which he has been doing since his freshman year. He comes from an athletic family as his dad played college football at Louisville and Virginia Union University. His brother played at Florida A&M and Virginia Union while his mother played basketball at Virginia Union. James has been working hard to become the next member of the family to play college athletics.

"This off-season I have been lifting and running daily," James said. "I've been going to football practice and studying film. My football strengths are my technique, power and my ability to read the offense."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News