Gladiator making a run

Riverheads Fulton has 10
Lancaster M Davis has 8
To lead their teams

End of 3rd quarter
Lancaster 51 . Riverheads 41

RHS Fulton has 18 . Playing well for the Gladiators

Sorry for the delay.....

If there was one word that sums up this game, it would be experience. Lancaster had the tradition of having been there on a regular basis and had the senior leadership it takes at this stage, whereas Riverheads was making its first state tournament appearance in nine years, and only its third ever, and brought a very young team led by primarily sophomores into an unfamiliar environment. Add all that up and you have the classic case of the master schooling the apprentice, and for that reason, the Gladiators may not fully appreciate how much they learned from last night's game until this same time rolls around next year.

All things considered, I did not mind the RHS effort in the least. A 20-point game "sounds" like a blowout, but the truth is that the Big Red made two different runs in this game and there were times when a comeback did not seem out of the question. But in the end, fatigue on their part and the depth of the Devils made the difference as Lancaster seemed to be able to sub at will without losing any effectiveness.

The Gladiators were led, as they have been all season, by the sophomore duo of Braeson Fulton, who scored 23 and came within one point of tying his career high, and Grant Painter, who added 14 but made the "move" of the night, which I will get to shortly. I cannot credit any Devils players by name since schools "down east" don't provide you with programs like we do around here. Something to think about guys as we were in the dark at Cumberland last week as well.

Forrest Shuey got the visitors off to a good start with a stickback on their first possession. As it turned out, that would be RHS' only lead of the game as the Devils scored the next nine points to put Riverheads in "catch-up" mode. LCHS moved out to a 20-8 first quarter lead and it appeared that the Gladiators could be in for a really long night.

But they came to life in an action-packed second quarter, and at one point trimmed the lead to 26-23 and had the ball. Lancaster led 31-25 at the break and nothing was settled at that point.

RHS then made its second mini-rally to open the second half as Elijah Dunlap stroked his second triple of the game and Painter added one from the opposite corner and suddenly the Big Red had the lead down to two at 33-31.

Being the seniors that they are, the Devils did not panic and calmly re-established the momentum, pulling back in front by double digits by the end of the quarter and picking up the win to punch their ticket to game number five with Northumberland. Down the stretch, they gave the fans what they came for in the form of a breakaway dunk that brought the house down. Number 1 slammed it, I think, but again with no roster to look at......

As impressive and memorable as that play will be for Devils' fans, as I alluded to earlier, Riverheads' Painter made what I would call the play of the game, and surprise, it technically had very little to do with basketball. See if you can picture this scene...

There were about 5 minutes left in the game and RHS was trailing by 15 I think. So needless to say, they needed every point they could get. They were fast-breaking toward a possible basket when all of a sudden, it became obvious that a parent who just was not thinking was nonchalantly walking a toddler down the sideline.

Worse yet, she had the little tyke to her inside, so that he was walking a good two feet out on to the playing surface. So just think about what could have happened with 13 bodies hustling down the floor concentrating on the game and not even thinking about something like that going on.

Fortunately Painter had the presence of mind to take his focus off the game for a few seconds, even though his team was desperately needing to score, and he reached out (remarkably gently given the circumstances) and lifted the young fellow out of harm's way. All of this happened right in front of the Big Red bench, so I guess it is possible that one of the coaches directed him to do it, but it happened so quickly that I am more inclined to think it was just instinct on his part.

At any rate, an incredibly sportsmanlike move on his part and my hat is off to him for putting common sense and decency ahead of the game in that brief moment. Ironically I don't have any recollection of what happened on that possession after the danger had passed. Moral of the story...parents watch your kids!!!

So congrats to the Devils for their win and best of luck the rest of the way, but it sounds like that Eastside bunch from way down yonder are going to be a force to reckon with. Apparently they grow them big down there!

As for Riverheads, with only one graduating senior, Bradley Roberts, they should be back next year bigger and more experienced, and more importantly, a little more aware of what it takes to win at this level. Another subplot that we will talk about next year is the likelihood of both Fulton and Painter hitting the career 1,000-point mark, even though they will still only be juniors. Each has already been named to the All-Region B team this year.

So take this one for what it was Big Red........a learning experience and a sign that bigger things are in store. As for now, these same guys will turn their attention to the spring sports.

Reactions: swva_havok_fan
Riverheads was undone by some early turnovers and they got beat badly on the backboards.
As for lack of a program, don't blame W&L or Lancaster. The VHSL is in charge of that and they haven't published a hard copy version in some time. The program is available online somewhere on the VHSL website.
W&L did provide a 4-page roster listing for last week's Regional championship games.

I wasn't referring to that glossy book that you used to pay $5.00 for. I am aware that they have not had that for several years now. But I don't think it is asking too much for the host school to put out a one-page roster for a game. As you are watching a game, you often want to know what someone's name is, how tall he is, what class he is in, etc. For that matter, a lot of home fans come so seldom that they don't even know their own team.

Reactions: naildriver91
The host School or the higher seed?
I wasn't referring to that glossy book that you used to pay $5.00 for. I am aware that they have not had that for several years now. But I don't think it is asking too much for the host school to put out a one-page roster for a game. As you are watching a game, you often want to know what someone's name is, how tall he is, what class he is in, etc. For that matter, a lot of home fans come so seldom that they don't even know their own team.

Food for thought...

What if the host school was under the impression the VHSL would provide such programs (They sent game tickets of course)? Considering the week before the regional director for the Region "1A" championship games did.

I am just used to having "something" to look at this lists the players. Around here that can be anything from a 12 page stapled booklet telling you everything that is going on at that particular school to a single sheet of paper that might still be 8 1/2 by 11, or might be folded over so that it has four sides. Not only is it a handy reference for names, but it gives you something to keep score on if you are interested in that.

Also I am sure many a young lass has written her phone number or e-mail address on one, so for all we know, simply having a roster at a game has led to true love somewhere along the line!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT