ADVERTISEMENT

LCA and the VHSL

Creekness

VaPreps Varsity
Jan 30, 2008
If a school can recruit the best athletes in an area it has an advantage.
My example for this: If Hampton can legally go all over the peninsula and make sure they get all the best 8th and 9th grade athletes in their city to come to their school they would be unstoppable. Sounds unfair right? A private school in Hampton will legally be able to do that. That is not fair

Private schools allow kids to reclassify, how will VHSL address this? I hope they dont allow kids who reclassified to play next year for LCA, VHSL says it is illegal to reclassify for athletics and kids are only eligible to play for 4 consecutive years once they enter the 9th grade. I am also concerned about kids who have already played varsity for LCA in the 8th grade, are they going to be allowed to play 5 years of varsity?

LASTLY, Liberty Christian School and Liberty University are going to be faced with some real moral dilemmas. If they really abide by all the rules set for by the VHSL for kids moving to their zone or kids transferring they will not sustain their current athletic success. Kid's parents have to live in the zone for them to be eligible. Any transfer will have to sit out if not and i think this will be hard to pill to swallow for LCA and they may be tempted to use false addresses and information as to where the children's parent live.

I don't think it is going to be as big of an issue than what some may think. Private schools will be regulated to having to play those schools with similar enrollment. Why would Flint Hill want to play the Falls Church and Stuarts of the world? Nothing against them at all but what is the benefit to FH?

Then there is the questions of number of games. Most private schools play 25+ regular season games. VHSL states only 21 can be played; 22 if there is a holiday tournament. No VIC or VISSA if they qualify and play in their respective conference's tournament.

I'd be surprised if if a single private school tried to to what LCA is doing.

Right, I only see it helping LCA fill out their schedule. Outside of that I cant see much of a benefit for a private school competing in a public school league

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT