ADVERTISEMENT

Lions Kick Off Season With 'Midnight Madness'

I love what Louisa is doing but they start off the season very, very tough. Sometimes that's a good thing. SometImes it's not. IMO, they are the direction I would want to go. Very best of luck to them in 2015.

Yes tough schedule, but I think Lions are going to be anywhere from 8-2 to maybe 9-1 regular season team. Biggest question mark is who their qb is going to be. They lost a good qb to FUMA. Lions have to be the early favorite to win the district for what that is worth in the current system.

I hope Louisa will be as good as you say. I'm not quite sold yet, they've got to get some signature wins.

Here's my preseason picks for the Jefferson:

1. Western Albemarle
2. Monticello
3. Powhatan County
4. Louisa County
5. Albemarle
6. Charlottesville
7. Orange County
8. Fluvanna County

I won't be surprised if any of the top 5 in my list win it. Albemarle is a sleeper and poised to do some surprising. Charlottesville could mix it up in there, but I don't see them in the top two in any scenarios.

Orange and Fluvanna seemed too far away last season for me to expect much.

@GilliamRatings I heard Orange's coach was let go a few weeks ago and their new coach is a former QB from there. Who is he? They have a solid core coming back and I heard about a stud freshman RB who should immediately contribute.

Last edited:
I hope Louisa will be as good as you say. I'm not quite sold yet, they've got to get some signature wins.

Here's my preseason picks for the Jefferson:

1. Western Albemarle
2. Monticello
3. Powhatan County
4. Louisa County
5. Albemarle
6. Charlottesville
7. Orange County
8. Fluvanna County

I won't be surprised if any of the top 5 in my list win it. Albemarle is a sleeper and poised to do some surprising. Charlottesville could mix it up in there, but I don't see them in the top two in any scenarios.

Orange and Fluvanna seemed too far away last season for me to expect much.

Gilliam, you may be right about me saying Louisa has that good a season, but once they get past Sherando, and Courtland who else really stands in their way? The district has been very very down the last few years. I think Woody got out of Monticello for a number of reasons, and them playing Lake Taylor could leave them very banged up for a while because Lake Taylor is physical and fast. I agree with your sleeper in Albemarle, but Charlottesville could be a sleeper to.

Charlottesville and Albemarle are also my sleepers. Albemarle lost their QB but will have a ton of seniors this year. and a good, energetic young coach in Isaiah. Charlottesville is bringing up a BIG freshman RB Sabias Folley who runs like a senior and squats 1000 pounds to join senior Rashad Brock and former QB Rashard Davis's little sophomore brother Rakeem in the backfield. Sabias and older brother, junior linebacker Sadarius will be a tough duo the next two years on both sides of the ball. They'll be running the Massaponax version of the triple option this year.

Powhatan and Monticello also have stud RBs coming up from JV to replace Logan Allen and Kyree Koonce. I don't know Powhatan's QB situation but Monticello returns a sophomore who looked very good last year. If Powhatan drops at all, it won't be for long with Woodson still at the helm. Monticello's new coach Lloyd is a proven winner from Kettle Run and will have more talent to work with, but might also be a year away.

Orange also brings up a big freshman RB who turned down Woodberry (ahem, I wish a certain Louisa kid also did that) and joins a team with a lot of size and athleticism but desperately needs to hit the weight room.

Everyone is familiar with and loves Fluvanna's new coach, but will that finally translate to wins? Their off-season weight lifting program has been extremely successful.

Western returns just about everyone and has to be the favorite on paper, but I think once the district schedule starts, that will quickly change.

Louisa will be Louisa again. Jordan Cherry will be the main QB, but there are options. I think the QB who transferred to FUMA knew that.

The district is young overall and I'm predicting it will become one of the top districts in the state over the next couple of years, with beastly D1 running backs all over the place and good supporting casts, and a history of good QBs.

Last edited:
HAHA to better district in the state. You may right, but 757 and 804 have a lot to brag about lately and probably will in the future too!

Like the earthquake from several weeks years ago, the Lions came out with a roar. Probably no one could have beaten them that first game. Now Fischer's situation puts that same motivation into Louisa. Sherando will win this game 9 out of 10 times but the Lions will be incredibly motivated. So far over their heads, every player may have a nosebleed. The Warriors need to be prepared for this or the Lions will steal it for Fischer. GL to both.

9 times out of 10? Okay, shauntclair. I guess you know this from your Hudl viewing.

4065890.jpg

@GilliamRatings I heard Orange's coach was let go a few weeks ago and their new coach is a former QB from there. Who is he? They have a solid core coming back and I heard about a stud freshman RB who should immediately contribute.

Just called and found out it is Jesse Lohr (not sure bout spelling) He was qb on Orange's state championship team. He has been the offensive coordinator a few years ago ( I think).

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Like the earthquake from several weeks years ago, the Lions came out with a roar. Probably no one could have beaten them that first game. Now Fischer's situation puts that same motivation into Louisa. Sherando will win this game 9 out of 10 times but the Lions will be incredibly motivated. So far over their heads, every player may have a nosebleed. The Warriors need to be prepared for this or the Lions will steal it for Fischer. GL to both.

I hate to keep harping on this - but Sherando would not beat Louisa 9 out of 10 times in 2015. In fact - I think it would be the other way around. I have talked to some people out in Winchester and with the exception of a few good players - the overall talent is just not there for Sherando heading into the 2015 season. I do agree with your assessment that Louisa is going to come out inspired and ready to play - which will only make things more difficult for Sherando to pull off the upset. I'll say it again - Louisa takes this game handily.

No chance. I don't know what you guys are thinking? Sure, Louisa will be inspired and could definitely pull this one out but 9 out of ten, the Lions go home unhappy. How do you guys not see this?

Last edited:
Reactions: hamspear
9 times out of 10? Okay, shauntclair. I guess you know this from your Hudl viewing.

4065890.jpg
Actually, I really like the sarcasm here. Definitely get kudo's on this. As most here already know, I'm from New York, where ball busting is an art and graded appropriately. You get an "A". But again and as always, Hoos is delusional and has absolutely no ability to evaluate talent. For example, this will be the third or fourth year in a row, he has ranted on how good Charlottesville will be. Never even close. That's what the Sherando game will be. Never even close.

:D Too funny! Pot calling the kettle black. Aye shauntclair, we're still waiting to know what play 31 of last year's Lake Taylor/Maury game was! Or, since you're full of crap and can't tell us, how about you break down, in detail, the Sherando/Louisa match-up, including personnel for both teams, coaching schemes, history of the match-up, etc. and explain why Sherando will win 9 times out of 10 in 2015, knowing all that you know from seeing both teams' recent games and practices on video and in person. I'll wait. Thanks!

Watch out for Louisa. Experienced O line and young Sophomore running backs with a year experience under their belt. Don't be shocked Shaunty if they don't put it on your Cougars this year. The question will be can they field a good defense. If so They will go deep in the play-offs.

I have no problem with Louisa being the favorite, not that it matters. I feel very confident in the success in the Warrior team this year that is coming to Louisa week 1. They will have to be ready to play the best best game they can down in Mineral to come out a winner. Louisa might just run all over us.:) Who ever has been telling Novacane thoughts about Sherando has no clue what they are talking about though. It's the same ol every year.....love it! Hope we can pull off the UPSET!

Reactions: mike salem
The Coach Fischer factor overrides everything, THIS game. But to say that Louisa would and should win this game 90% of the time totally disregards what Sherando has become. And ignores that their coach is something special in his own right.

The Sherando coaching staff led head coach Bill Hall, and assistant coach T.J Rohrbaugh I consider one of the finest around, without a doubt. most coaching peers would tell you the same. Coach Hall has really helped a lot of boys focus on the process, to be successful.

The Lions and Warriors both know they're in for a physical, fun week 1 game. No one is making wacko condescending statements as if they're facts or saying one team will dominate the other however many times out of ten except someone who hasn't even watched VA high school football up close for at least three years and thinks he knows everything.

The Lions and Warriors both know they're in for a physical, fun week 1 game. No one is making wacko condescending statements as if they're facts or saying one team will dominate the other however many times out of ten except someone who hasn't even watched VA high school football up close for at least three years and thinks he knows everything.
Just stating the obvious as opposed to the oblivious and delusional. The Lions may not even score a point in this game. But the fireworks will still be fun. Dude, Lions start the season 0 - 2. Just deal with it. Courtland is gonna' get creamed against Ponax and Riverbend is 6A with some real talent. They'll probably start the same. Out of the top ten after week one. Just standard fare for them. Get to the playoffs and GL from there. But at least the Lions and the Cougars will have earned their place. I would want it no other way.

@shauntclair Awesome, you just blew your last chance. Since you couldn't answer my question, back to the ignore list you go, troll. I see why Coach Hall can't stand you.

hoos , don't ignore Shaunty, we don't have enough people on here as it is. You at least have to admit he helps keep it interesting? Don't take it personal bro

Reactions: mike salem
@shauntclair Awesome, you just blew your last chance. Since you couldn't answer my question, back to the ignore list you go, troll. I see why Coach Hall can't stand you.
What question?

Actually, Hall loves me and my kids but he does absolutely hate the crap I put on the board and would probably like me to just STFU. if he asked, I would be read only. No hesitation.

Also ; Sherando 28 - Louisa 0

I'm with Hammy. Let Shaunty have his say. He very rarely if ever makes it personal. And that's a line nobody should cross. Otherwise, let him have his say.

Last edited:
I'm think going to start a thread for some of the notable first week games, and ask for predictions on the final score. I'll just pick six or so games and try to keep them balanced between east and west. What do you you guys and Wikki think. Want to get a few opinions going this way? And you can do a "no response" on your home team if you want to keep from creating a bad situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT