ADVERTISEMENT

Loudoun County (5A) vs. Fairfax County (6A)

1amishfootballfan

VaPreps Rookie
Nov 28, 2011
One of the more interesting developments in the Northern Virginia area was the scheduling of a series of games between the Loudoun County Conference 14 5A football powers and an assortment of Fairfax County 6A teams. In addition to their old Liberty District opponents, Stone Bridge has frequently had Conference 5 (Concorde District) teams on their schedule and met with mixed success over the last 15 years: Chantilly (1-1), Oakton (1-1), Robinson (3-1) and Westfield (3-3).

Loudoun County has gotten the better of the action in the first two weeks of the 2015 season – going 4-2:

Tuscarora 40, Hayfield 14
South County 47, Briar Woods 28
Briar Woods 24, South Lakes 20
Stone Bridge 42, McLean 6
Madison 35, Stone Bridge 24
Broad Run 45, Langley 21

South County win was expected I think and Madison was surely an upset. This weekend brings FIVE Loudoun (5A)-Fairfax (6A) match-ups including the first 3 games against Conference 5:

Broad Run (3-0) @ Centreville (2-0)
Chantilly (2-0) @ Stone Bridge (1-1)
Oakton (2-0) @ Tuscarora (3-0)
West Potomac (2-0) @ Briar Woods (1-2)
Langley (0-2) @ Potomac Falls (2-1)

Offhand, I would expect all 5 to be fairly even games. Anyone care to pick these five? I would go with:
Centreville, Chantilly, Tuscarora, Briar Woods and Potomac Falls.

Last edited:
One of the more interesting developments in the Northern Virginia area was the scheduling of a series of games between the Loudoun County Conference 14 5A football powers and an assortment of Fairfax County 6A teams. In addition to their old Liberty District opponents, Stone Bridge has frequently had Conference 5 (Concorde District) teams on their schedule and met with mixed success over the last 15 years: Chantilly (1-1), Oakton (1-1), Robinson (3-1) and Westfield (3-3).

Loudoun County has gotten the better of the action in the first two weeks of the 2015 season – going 4-2:

Broad Run 45, Langley 21

South County win was expected I think and Madison was surely an upset. This weekend brings FIVE Loudoun (5A)-Fairfax (6A) match-ups including the first 3 games against Conference 5:

Broad Run (3-0) @ Centreville (2-0)
Chantilly (2-0) @ Stone Bridge (1-1)
Oakton (2-0) @ Tuscarora (3-0)
West Potomac (2-0) @ Briar Woods (1-2)
Langley (0-2) @ Potomac Falls (2-1)

Offhand, I would expect all 5 to be fairly even games. Anyone care to pick these five? I would go with:
Centreville, Chantilly, Tuscarora, Briar Woods and Potomac Falls.
Is Oakton/Tuscarora projected to be a good game? I dont know anything about Oakton, but I know Tuscarora is pretty tough

Is Oakton/Tuscarora projected to be a good game? I dont know anything about Oakton, but I know Tuscarora is pretty tough

Tuscarora will be a slight favorite but Oakton, fresh off a 24-0 win over T.C. Williams, has enough pieces in place to win the game.

I noticed this development with interest when the schedules were announced. I agree with everything you said about the expected outcomes in the first two weeks worth of games. I would add that the BW 24-SL 20 score appears, at least based by historical standards, to be closer than expected but anyone who has seen BW play this season knows they are not the juggernaut they were when in 4A and made the 4 straight state championship games.

My picks for this week's intra-county slate are:
Centreville over Broad Run. Close, but I have not seen either play yet so I think it could go either way. I am torn between going to this game or the LB-Robinson game.
Chantilly over Stone Bridge. SB, at least from their early performances, appears to be a bit off their usual standard this season. To quote the words of another reporter, "the Madison win over SB was telling".
Tuscarora over Oakton. Despite Oakton's shut out of a TCW team that put up 69 points in week #1, I think Tusky takes this one by at least 10.
West Potomac vs Briar Woods. Any other year I would say BW (see comment above) but I think this one is a toss up. I think WP will be able to score enough points on an average BW defense.
Potomac Falls over Langley. Playing in a conference with so many good teams and being a bit farther away than many of the schools followed in the Northern Region, PF gets less attention. If they can manage to get their offense going (despite the 62 they put on Falls Church last week) they should be able to overcome Langley in a tight game.

Tuscarora will be a slight favorite but Oakton, fresh off a 24-0 win over T.C. Williams, has enough pieces in place to win the game.
Think I may go to this one instead of Lake Braddock/James Robinson then. It will save me some time, as I'm currently closer to Leesburg, and that trip home on Friday is about 25 minutes closer as well. Hoping for a good game!

West Po defending Fairfax's honor tonight. Impressive how much Loudoun football has improved in the last decade, and Fairfax has probably gotten a little worse.

The are lot of games remaining but Loudoun County is dominating. I had assumed they would win the majority of the match-ups but not by as a decisive margin as it looks it will be - after Week 4 it is Loudoun 5A 8, Fairfax 6A 3:

Tuscarora 28, Oakton 14
West Potomac 29, Briar Woods 27
Stone Bridge 42, Chantilly 28
Broad Run 45, Langley 21
Broad Run 56, Centreville 21
Potomac Falls 26, Langley 6

The Broad Run win over Centreville was an eye opener as I did not expect them to dominate the way they did. Broad Run is very good and Centreville seems to have come back to earth. The D5 programs from Loudon are some of the best in the state, and for the most part the D6 Fairfax teams they have played up to this point are no where near the top D6 teams (Hayfield, McLean, South Lakes, and Langley make up 5 of the 11 games played so far and maybe one of them (Hayfield) has a shot at the playoffs). I think we need to wait until the end of the season to see what happens. I will say this: Broad Run can hang with anybody.

Update after Week 5:

Loudoun 5A 9, Fairfax 6A 4:

Tuscarora 28, Oakton 14
Tuscarora 49, Centreville 42
Westfield 28, Stone Bridge 7
Broad Run 45, Langley 21

7 Games Remaining:
Tuscarora @ Herndon (Week 6)
Briar Woods @ Westfield (Week 7)
Chantilly @ Briar Woods (Week 9)
Stone Bridge @ West Springfield (Week 6)
Robinson @ Stone Bridge (Week 7)
Oakton @ Broad Run (Week 8)
Broad Run @ Robinson (Week 9)

Last edited:
Let's compare the big 4 vs the big 4. Tusky has one win. Broad run has one win. Briar woods has zero. Stone bridge has one ( chantilly has been nothing for 4 years). South county has one win. Westfield has one win. Cville has zero. Lake Braddock isn't involved. Maybe throw west po in now with a close game with Lake Braddock. So they have a win. That pretty even. Robinson, West Springfield and chantilly could be legit contenders. Oakton, Hayfield , Langley South lakes, McLean are not contenders yet. Not sure about Madison yet. Just an early thought. See how the season plays out then compare again.

Let's compare the big 4 vs the big 4. Tusky has one win. Broad run has one win. Briar woods has zero. Stone bridge has one ( chantilly has been nothing for 4 years). South county has one win. Westfield has one win. Cville has zero. Lake Braddock isn't involved. Maybe throw west po in now with a close game with Lake Braddock. So they have a win. That pretty even. Robinson, West Springfield and chantilly could be legit contenders. Oakton, Hayfield , Langley South lakes, McLean are not contenders yet. Not sure about Madison yet. Just an early thought. See how the season plays out then compare again.
5616301991_175384948_head_scratch_final_2_xlarge.jpeg

Is there a big rivalry between those two counties?

No, there really hasn't been. But the best 6A teams in NOVA and the best 5A teams in NOVA for the last 10-15 years have not been that far apart geographically - perhaps Dulles Airport could be considered the mid-point with the Conference 5 teams just to the south and east and the Conference 14 teams not far to the west and north. Other than Stone Bridge the teams have never really played each other and over the years there has been lots of speculation (mostly privately I suppose) regarding the relative strengths of the teams.

Yes there is from an admin POV. Tremendous academics and athletics on both sides. Obviously Fairfax had the history but, Loudoun is finally getting an opportunity to test its little brother complex. So far so good.

Is there a big rivalry between those two counties?

There's been a pretty long list of NoVa posters touting the superiority of Fairfax over Loudoun throughout the years and there has been some local media coverage that has treated 6A much, much better than 5A.

There's been a pretty long list of NoVa posters touting the superiority of Fairfax over Loudoun throughout the years and there has been some local media coverage that has treated 6A much, much better than 5A.

Pretty simple - Fairfax 6A was superior and Loudon has now surpassed.

I still think Westfield, SoCo, Lake Braddock, West Potomac, and West Springfield are still on par or better than Loudoun teams. Much respect and Credit to the Loudoun top 2 Broad Run and Tuscorora.
Tuscorora over Hayfield 40-14 SoCo over Hayfield 70-29
Tuscorora over Briar Woods 22 to 16. SoCo over Briar Woods 47 to 28.
Broad Run 31 Briar Woods 24
still on par or better with West Potomac and Westfield beating Loudoun teams. Loudoun teams have won more but not over the Fairfax top 5

Update after Week 6:

Loudoun 5A 11, Fairfax 6A 4:

Tuscarora 28, Oakton 14
Tuscarora 70, Herndon 28
Stone Bridge 41, West Springfield 10
Broad Run 45, Langley 21

5 Games Remaining:
Briar Woods @ Westfield (Week 7)
Robinson @ Stone Bridge (Week 7)

I guess another way to look at it is the overall records of the county schools thus far. Loudoun schools (15 total) are 110 and 70 thus far. Schools populations range from 3A to 5A. I will let a Fairfax person do the math for them.

Right now, state wide, 5A is looking at least as strong as 6A to me.

Here's the top ten in each from Gilliam Ratings (Imagine if they were playing one another)

Ocean Lakes vs. L.C. Bird
Oscar Smith vs. Highland Springs
Lake Braddock vs. Indian River
South County vs. Broad Run
Westfield vs. Hermitage
Thomas Dale vs. Tuscarora
Manchester vs. Salem
Frank Cox vs. Hampton
James Robinson vs. Norview
Western Branch vs. Henrico

Pretty good argument for not having six classes if you ask me.

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
Fine, lets set it up as follows for a 4 class system: 0-400= 1A, 401-750= 2A, 751-1450=3A, 1451 & Above= 4A. 16 team playoff for 1A, 32 team playoffs for the rest.

My amazingly perfect system makes sure that only a minimum amount of schools will ever be in a Class where they are either twice as small (Chincoteague, Colonial Beach, maybe 1-2 others in 1A) or over twice as large (T.C. Williams and, what, maybe 5 others in 6A) as other schools in that Class.

Update after Week 7:

Loudoun 5A 11, Fairfax 6A 6:

Tuscarora 28, Oakton 14
Tuscarora 70, Herndon 28
Westfield 36, Briar Woods 0
Robinson 27, Stone Bridge 20
Broad Run 45, Langley 21

3 Games Remaining:

Loudoun wins both match-ups this week in OT.

Loudoun 5A 13, Fairfax 6A 6:

Tuscarora 28, Oakton 14
Tuscarora 70, Herndon 28
Briar Woods 24, Chantilly 21
Broad Run 45, Langley 21
Broad Run 28, Oakton 21

1 Game Remaining:
Broad Run @ Robinson

Right now, state wide, 5A is looking at least as strong as 6A to me.

Here's the top ten in each from Gilliam Ratings (Imagine if they were playing one another)

Ocean Lakes vs. L.C. Bird
Oscar Smith vs. Highland Springs
Lake Braddock vs. Indian River
South County vs. Broad Run
Westfield vs. Hermitage
Thomas Dale vs. Tuscarora
Manchester vs. Salem
Frank Cox vs. Hampton
James Robinson vs. Norview
Western Branch vs. Henrico

Pretty good argument for not having six classes if you ask me.

I have been saying this and couldn't agree more. I honestly think outside of Ocean Lakes... Division 5 would wash up D6. I think maybe Lake Braddock and Ocean Lakes would be the only teams from D6 that would win in these scenarios... And really the Bird / OL game is pretty much a scratch in my opinion. I honestly think that Indian River is better than Lake Braddock (I know they are better than Oscar Smith) I'm not positive that I can guarantee one D6 win in the above scenarios.

Loudoun wins both match-ups this week in OT.

Loudoun 5A 13, Fairfax 6A 6:

Tuscarora 28, Oakton 14
Tuscarora 70, Herndon 28
Broad Run 45, Langley 21
Broad Run 28, Oakton 21

1 Game Remaining:
Broad Run @ Robinson
Thanks for keeping us updated on this.... Something I have noticed is that while fairfax has won 6 games against Loudoun, they have only defeated 2 of the teams, whereas Loudoun has defeated 9 different fairfax schools

Final Results:

Loudoun 5A 13
, Fairfax 6A 7:

Tuscarora 28, Oakton 14
Tuscarora 70, Herndon 28
Broad Run 45, Langley 21
Broad Run 28, Oakton 21
Robinson 31, Broad Run 20

The most interesting match-ups to me were going to be the Potomac District/Conference 14 vs. Concorde District/Conference 5.

Conference 14 ended 7-4 vs. Conference 5. Robinson and Westfield going 2-0, Centreville, Chantilly and Oakton all going 0-2 and Herndon 0-1. Surprised that Centreville/Chantilly/Oakton could not produce a win.

Pre-season I thought Briar Woods and Stone Bridge would probably be the strongest Loudoun teams but it did not turn out that way:
Tuscarora: 4-0
Broad Run: 3-1
Stone Bridge: 3-3
Briar Woods: 2-3
Potomac Falls: 1-0

Also of note is that the Patriot District/Conference 7 teams were 2-1 vs. Loudoun. They are arguably a stronger conference at the top than Concorde this year.

Not surprisingly Liberty District/Conference 6 was 1-5 vs. Loudoun with Madison getting the lone win.

A few weeks into the 2016 season has seen a reversal of last year's success by the Loudoun County 5A schools. With the VHSL realignment coming up I am wondering if any of these inter-county/inter-classification games will be scheduled next year.

Fairfax 6A 7, Loudoun 5A 4:

Potomac Falls 46, Falls Church 14
Potomac Falls 41, Langley 28
Madison 19, Stone Bridge 15
Stone Bridge 39, Chantilly 7
Broad Run 28, Langley 3
Centreville 21, Broad Run 9
South County 27, Briar Woods 23
South Lakes 28, Briar Woods 21
West Potomac 38, Briar Woods 35
Hayfield 26, Tuscarora 20
Oakton 31, Tuscarora 20

I would say every one of the games you have in the post above went as they should have, and mostly by a scoring differential that reflects the relative ability of the teams, also.

As far as this inter-county scheduling continuing, I hope so. Generally speaking, the best LC 5A teams are quite a bit better than the lower level FC 6A teams. I would rather see Westfield play a LC Potomac Conference team any day over Fairfax, Langley, W-L, Annandale, etc. Plus, just being an inter-county game, it only adds to the atmosphere.

I agree with you. But if it goes to an 8-team Potomac District comprised of Briar Woods, Broad Run, Champe, Freedom-SR, Potomac Falls, Rock Ridge, Stone Bridge and Tuscarora that would not leave many games available for non-district play. Assuming an all-district schedule is in play for all teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT