ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Salem Keep Writing

momomule

Gold Member
Sep 8, 2014
Having visited this site and being a part of the Salem community, I would like to remind Mike Salem to keep on keeping on. I enjoy what you have to say.

If you are not from Salem, and you don't like Salem, you don't have to read Salem posts.

You don't have to like Salem.

It should not upset anyone that we have a community that values its children and loves its high school football. Before I was born, my parents moved to Salem and were told, "Whether you have kids or not, this town goes to the football games." That was in the 60's.This is the fabric of our small city. Our kids are big deals to us, and we celebrate everything we can about them. We find good things about them and encourage them.

It is sad to us to go across town for a football game and see the home team with not enough fans to make up even the number of parents of their players. We pack their houses.That is terrible! Where are their families and their fans?

Unlike other teams, if you ask Salem players what team they hate, they will look at you puzzled. WE DON'T HATE ANYONE. Hating another team is foreign to us. So we don't understand what possesses people who do.

If you don't like that we care about our kids and are engaged in that, read elsewhere.

If you are upset because your community lacks community, that is not Salem's problem. Do something about your community yourself.

We will always be proud of our team, individual players, coaches, and city regardless of whether or not we win. You don't have to understand that or like that.

So, Mike, write all you wish. You are doing the right thing by our kids and our community.

Last edited:
Having visited this site and being a part of the Salem community, I would like to remind Mike Salem to keep on keeping on. I enjoy what you have to say.

If you are not from Salem, and you don't like Salem, you don't have to read Salem posts.

You don't have to like Salem.

It should not upset anyone that we have a community that values its children and loves its high school football. Before I was born, my parents moved to Salem and were told, "Whether you have kids or not, this town goes to the football games." That was in the 60's.This is the fabric of our small city. Our kids are big deals to us, and we celebrate everything we can about them. We find good things about them and encourage them.

It is sad to us to go across town for a football game and see the home team with not enough fans to make up even the number of parents of their players. We pack their houses.That is terrible! Where are their families and their fans?

Unlike other teams, if you ask Salem players what team they hate, they will look at you puzzled. WE DON'T HATE ANYONE. Hating another team is foreign to us. So we don't understand what possesses people who do.

If you don't like that we care about our kids and are engaged in that, read elsewhere.

If you are upset because your community lacks community, that is not Salem's problem. Do something about your community yourself.

We will always be proud of our team, individual players, coaches, and city regardless of whether or not we win. You don't have to understand that or like that.

So, Mike, write all you wish. You are doing the right thing by our kids and our community.
I think the majority of our posters do a good job when posting. There are a handful that like to stir the pot & post brash comments. Leftovers & I were commenting the other day about how the forum setup really detracts from the site. The 3a board is dead, the 4a board meshes east & west together so many posts aren't relevant to other posters. (I can see how the sheer number of Salem posts would be a real annoyance to people 150 miles away) Our opinion was to make the boards more regional by combining 1a/2a, 3a/4a, 5a/6a & having a North/South or East/West for each. It would still be 6 boards but maybe the content would be more relevant to more posters.

Thank you for your comments. Salem does put its kids first and that's the way it should be. I wished all of our posters would remember that too. This isn't about us it's about them. I have always thought of HS football as community ball. When we post on here we represent our community & some need to be reminded of that.

Last edited:
Mule, I agree with you. I shake my head at some games when I see the crowd in the stands for the other team. And I'm not just talking about at our home games. I've seen a few games away that there were hardly 100 people in the home seats. Of course I will tip my hat and say good things about many of the teams whose fans do come out in good numbers to support their kids. One that quickly comes to mind is Jamestown. Last year when we went there, they had a terrific home crowd. And their student section was phenomenal. The Jamestown AD said they are there like that at every home game. This might not impress you until you look at there record. It was to the point I think they the fans gave up on hopes for a win, and we're just hoping for a score during a game now and then.

Salem is unique. You guys are fortunate to have that level of support. I made the trip last year and it was terrific. Beautiful stadium, terrific parking, and just wonderful folks in place to serve the fans and assure a good time.

How is Eathan Lawerance doing. Will he be able to play this year?

I don't necessarily agree with dividing the forum as Mike suggest. I don't think it would make any difference in either the participation, or the radical post. I think the readers that don't post, probably can't be induced to. And those with harsh criticism are going to make their feelings felt no matter how the board is structured. (And as long as a poster doesn't cross the line that we all generally agree is based on personal attacks, I say have at it.)

But I agree, few if anyone post better comments and information than Mike. About Salem or anything else.

I will find out about Ethan Lawrence and let you know. He was progressing last I heard. I hope he is better and can play.

Reactions: mike salem
I will find out about Ethan Lawrence and let you know. He was progressing last I heard. I hope he is better and can play.
Yeah, I had heard from Mike or somebody a few months back that everything was going as expected. I have Chris King's email. I'll send him a query.

I'm not going to lie but I truly enjoyed the old central region board and the posters. Anybody remember LilCuz. That guy was hilarious. The biggest Highland Springs fan ever. But we got to know a lot of local players through the posters. The Central Region being so diverse with teams from 6a down to 3a your rival may be in a higher or lower class and with the board setup as it is now you dont get that friendly trash talk doing the week unless you go to there board. That's what I miss the most.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT