4. Bland
5. Auburn
6. Riverheads
7. Eastside
8. George Wythe
9. Charles City
10. JI Burton

Reactions: The Sports Reporter
Grundy dropped a shocker to Richlands last night, I dunno what happened there.

Grundy dropped a shocker to Richlands last night, I dunno what happened there.
Not sure either. They beat Richlands by 17, the first time. When you deal with teenage kids, sometimes you never know what can happen on any given night

Reactions: Mike777VSP
Not sure either. They beat Richlands by 17, the first time. When you deal with teenage kids, sometimes you never know what can happen on any given night

Might have been foul trouble or the team hit with illness bug, you're right that with teenage kids, consistency can be hard to maintain night after night.
Richlands isn't a particularly good 2A team, they're prob at best 2nd in SWD and around the 7th or 8th best team in Region D 2A. The loss to Lee made some sense, Lee is a pretty good squad, but Richlands is mediocre and Grundy had already thrashed them.

Parry McCluer being ranked number 2 and Riverheads not ranked at all is ridiculous, considering that the Gladiators beat the Blues twice, by an average margin of around 25. Riverheads has a 10-5 record now, and although I am rambling this off the top of my head, I think only four of those wins are over Class 1 teams. They have three wins over Class 3 teams (Waynesboro, Wilson and Fort Defiance) which leaves three wins over Class 2 teams.

Parry McCluer being ranked number 2 and Riverheads not ranked at all is ridiculous, considering that the Gladiators beat the Blues twice, by an average margin of around 25. Riverheads has a 10-5 record now, and although I am rambling this off the top of my head, I think only four of those wins are over Class 1 teams. They have three wins over Class 3 teams (Waynesboro, Wilson and Fort Defiance) which leaves three wins over Class 2 teams.
Not in my top 10. Lol. Preps is a bit higher on them than I am

VHSL Top Tens - Entering 2/7/20 Action
Class 1 Top Ten:
Rank School Record (thru 2/6)
1 Grundy 14-2
2 Parry McCluer 14-4
3 Lancaster 13-5
4 Auburn 13-6
5 Colonial Beach 15-5
6 Mathews 15-6
7 George Wythe 13-6
8 Northampton 14-6
9 Eastside 10-8
10 J.I. Burton 15-5

Dropped Out: #8 Bland (13-6)

Man if Grundy didn't have an elite player transfer out, they'd be an overwhelming favorite IMO.
Yeah the Campbell kid that transferred out is at a prep school now. He had the best court vision of any guard I have seen in a long time. I do feel like Grundy is better this year as many of their role players have stepped up and into their role. Combo Guard Jake McCoy has took over the point and is doing an amazing job of running the offense and creating his own shot. I really do think if they stay healthy(or no let downs during tournament) then they have a good chance of going to state.

The Looney kid only played a quarter. I ankle injury. Grundys coach is not playing him a whole lot right now letting him heal before tournaments

That makes sense. Still not a good loss, Richlands isn't good, but at least they weren't 100% and still dropped the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT