ADVERTISEMENT

Northumberland 42 west point 26

It was a good game last night. As jdavis54 called it, historically West Point and Northumberland often battle it out and they certainly did again.

West Point came in with an 8-3 record, had a great game plan and played tough the entire game. There were some good hits by both sides.

The 1st quarter almost ended 0-0. Then the action started coming fast and furious.

WP struck first with a TD after a long drive. 2 pt. conversion failed. There was 30 seconds left on the clock in the 1st Quarter. Just enough time for Northumberland to score their 1st TD after the kickoff.

7-6 NHS at end of the 1st

Game went back and forth. It was 21-14 NHS at the half.

The Indians jumped to a commanding 35-14 lead with about 6 minutes left in the 3rd. West Point kept fighting though and never let up.

Final was NHS 42-26.

The play of the game for me was when NHS QB Lundy hit Sr. WR K. Williams on about a 40-45 yard perfect bomb that happened right in front of us.

I think it was a 3rd down and long with the game still on the line - a turning point of the game type of play.

Williams made just an unreal over the shoulders catch with the ball dropping just far enough in front of him that he could reach it as he was sprinting down the sidelines. The WP cornerback & the safety were both in perfect, tight coverage with outstretched hands. The WP boys had covered it perfectly. It was just one of those wow plays.

I've seen a lot of great high school passing plays over the years, some just amazing. That throw & catch between Lundy and Williams ranks up there with the best. I was like "holy ---- that was an NFL caliber catch right there."

Hopefully, there is a good film of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: REDDEVILS00
Northumberland (10-2) now must face powerhouse Essex (12-0) in Tappahannock this coming Thanksgiving weekend for the Region A Title.

Northumberland is definitely the heavy underdog. The Indians must be perfect (and win the turnover battle) to have a chance to pull it off...

Reactions: REDDEVILS00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT