VaPreps Honorable Mention
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2015
In the Richmond we have got
Manchester vs Riverbend
James River vs Douglas Freeman
Cosby vs Motoaca
TD vs Bird

If TD beats up on Bird then look out! I doubt that happens but I will take TD by 10 pts.

This week we find out potentially if Manchester is for real. Not certain that Riverbend is an amazing measuring stick bc all of the 6A teams in this region basically make the playoffs bc there aren't that many teams. But they are a playoff regular none-the-less and I am confident they are at least a 7 win team in virtually any district in VA. Manchester wins by 2+ scores.

James river upsets DF! Call it a gut feeling.
Motoaca over Cosby by 2 scores.

By far, in Northern VA, their biggest game this week is South County @ Westfield. It's always a close game and SouthCo is likely under ranked & Westfield is overrated right now.

I went to the game last year. SouthCo has a way of making Westfield look bad with their up tempo, spread offense. If SouthCo can wear out N. Cockrill, DE/TE, I like their chances even with the game in Chantilly this year.

By far, in Northern VA, their biggest game this week is South County @ Westfield. It's always a close game and SouthCo is likely under ranked & Westfield is overrated right now.

I went to the game last year. SouthCo has a way of making Westfield look bad with their up tempo, spread offense. If SouthCo can wear out N. Cockrill, DE/TE, I like their chances even with the game in Chantilly this year.

How about the 757 6a's this week?

The interesting games in NOVA this week are as follows:

Centreville at Champe - a real test for Champe, who moved up to Class 5 this season. I don't expect Centreville to lose but if Champe can keep it respectable against one of the best Class 6 teams in the state that bodes well for them - but I don't see that happening.

Lake Braddock at West Potomac - I know little about WP yet but if WP is as good as rumored and LB plays like they did against Westfield last week, WP should win handily.

Massaponax at Woodgrove - a great early season test for Woodgrove, who has had two good seasons in a row-but I don't think they are ready to hang with a Class 5 power like Ponax just yet.

Tuscarora at Broad Run - Tusky had a cupcake last week and BR soundly beat Potomac Falls. This is a good early season test for both clubs in what is arguably the toughest district in the state and the winner gets some added momentum early in the season.

Westfield at South County - WF has played moderately well against SC the past few games but this is a new year. WF is extremely young, and although SC still has Spaulding, can their new QB get him the ball in what is surely going to be some sort of double coverage?

Last edited:

FYI, the game is at SC. And unless Cockrill is needed offensively (we'll have to see how the young bulldogs handle another big game) then I expect he will play more defense than offense. One of the reasons he played some offense last week was that the WF offense kept shooting themselves in the foot and they needed a surefire weapon to take off some of the pressure and get yards.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
Debating which is better, Bayside vs Landstown or Western Branch vs LT?

Last week, I thought Cox was over rated and Bayside under rated. I'm thinking that Bayside just played so physical that Cox collapsed. Landstown vs Bayside WILL be a better game.

WB vs LT game will be good but a couple of WB's better players are now at Smith.

I'm leaning towards the Beach game with the winner being the leading team to challenge 5A Salem (VB) for the district title this year.

Reactions: mbonape1
FYI, the game is at SC. And unless Cockrill is needed offensively (we'll have to see how the young bulldogs handle another big game) then I expect he will play more defense than offense. One of the reasons he played some offense last week was that the WF offense kept shooting themselves in the foot and they needed a surefire weapon to take off some of the pressure and get yards.

Should be a great game. Regardless of the outcome, no one seems to improve more as the year progresses than Westfield. No secrets as to what y'all do, but the execution is always top notch.

Debating which is better, Bayside vs Landstown or Western Branch vs LT?

Last week, I thought Cox was over rated and Bayside under rated. I'm thinking that Bayside just played so physical that Cox collapsed. Landstown vs Bayside WILL be a better game.

WB vs LT game will be good but a couple of WB's better players are now at Smith.

I'm leaning towards the Beach game with the winner being the leading team to challenge 5A Salem (VB) for the district title this year.

Imagine how good Bayside would be without a Bishop Sullivan in the area!

I agree 100%!!! Those kids that transferred would have the same offers they currently do, they'd likely be huge favorites for the Beach District Title, and likely have an epic battle with Smith for the A Regional. I even believe they'd had as good a chance as anyone to play in Hampton come December.

Reactions: falcettik

I dunno - Westfield only allowed a combined 24 points the last 3 games they have played South County - that's 8 points per game. I don't think they have a problem with the scheme. South County is just a very solid program and they always have a lot of good football players.

I don't know how Westfield will stop Spalding - their backfield is pretty short all around. South County should be well positioned to win this one. But they have had some difficulty getting it done in past years. But that was then and this is now. Should be a good one.

Landstown 15. Bayside 10

Bayside had their quarterback and I think, their DE out for their game against last night's loss to Landstown. As the score suggested, not a lot of action in this game which was decided by a few key plays. I expected to see a highly physical Bayside team that had like just beaten down Cox last week, but I didn't see that. If anything, Landstown proved to be more physical with effective run blocking off their big lineman. And Landstown was the team with the big hits on defense although neither team dominated play.

Bayside was definitely worn down on the last 2 drives by Landstown. Those drives allowed the go ahead score and then allowed the Eagles to run out the clock.

Landstown 15. Bayside 10

Bayside had their quarterback and I think, their DE out for their game against last night's loss to Landstown. As the score suggested, not a lot of action in this game which was decided by a few key plays. I expected to see a highly physical Bayside team that had like just beaten down Cox last week, but I didn't see that. If anything, Landstown proved to be more physical with effective run blocking off their big lineman. And Landstown was the team with the big hits on defense although neither team dominated play.

Bayside was definitely worn down on the last 2 drives by Landstown. Those drives allowed the go ahead score and then allowed the Eagles to run out the clock.

I heard Landsrown averages 285lbs across the front line... any truth to that?

I'd say it's very likely they are at least that big. But I'm not sure why Landstown doesn't focus on just running up the middle to wear teams out more, then their outside running & passing would be much more effective.

The interesting games in NOVA this week are as follows:

Centreville at Champe - a real test for Champe, who moved up to Class 5 this season. I don't expect Centreville to lose but if Champe can keep it respectable against one of the best Class 6 teams in the state that bodes well for them - but I don't see that happening.

Lake Braddock at West Potomac - I know little about WP yet but if WP is as good as rumored and LB plays like they did against Westfield last week, WP should win handily.

Massaponax at Woodgrove - a great early season test for Woodgrove, who has had two good seasons in a row-but I don't think they are ready to hang with a Class 5 power like Ponax just yet.

Tuscarora at Broad Run - Tusky had a cupcake last week and BR soundly beat Potomac Falls. This is a good early season test for both clubs in what is arguably the toughest district in the state and the winner gets some added momentum early in the season.

Westfield at South County - WF has played moderately well against SC the past few games but this is a new year. WF is extremely young, and although SC still has Spaulding, can their new QB get him the ball in what is surely going to be some sort of double coverage?

All I can say is this: Man, did I miss this week. Guess I should refrain from commenting out the outcome of games from now on!

Was at the game and was surprised how Cville's lines got pushed around. They will need to improve on tackling and the defensive scheme is head scratching. They fumbled 4 times losing 2 of them. Had 3 dropped passes and qb missed open guys for td's at least 3 times. With south county, south lakes, west Potomac and Westfield not to mention Madison they could be in fir a short season.

Was at the game and was surprised how Cville's lines got pushed around. They will need to improve on tackling and the defensive scheme is head scratching. They fumbled 4 times losing 2 of them. Had 3 dropped passes and qb missed open guys for td's at least 3 times. With south county, south lakes, west Potomac and Westfield not to mention Madison they could be in fir a short season.

The Cville/Champe score was the most surprising result of the night for me, not just because Cville lost but that it wasn't a lower scoring game with Champe putting up 35 on them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT