Votes: 5 45.5%
  • SoCo

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

757FridayNiteZ

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 9, 2015
It should be a great game today. I'm hoping to see our Sophomore QB, who's thrown over 50 TD's, to again show off his talent! If South County focuses too much on R. Copeland, it's going to be a mistake. Last week, CF did that on both of Smith's TD passes.

Most predictions are making this a 50/50 game. But, this will be a home crowd in Hampton today. AND, the experience of Smith's players in this big game could make the difference.

The penalty bug cost Smith their only loss in week 1. Hopefully, it doesn't return today.

Last, I wish both teams well and we have no injuries.

Reactions: CavsGrad
It should have cost them too in the Forge game. The referees were absolutely horrible and gift wrap that game to Oscar Smith. Not so fortunate against South County. Their holding caught up with them.

QUOTE="757FridayNiteZ, post: 375257, member: 8970"]It should be a great game today. I'm hoping to see our Sophomore QB, who's thrown over 50 TD's, to again show off his talent! If South County focuses too much on R. Copeland, it's going to be a mistake. Last week, CF did that on both of Smith's TD passes.

Most predictions are making this a 50/50 game. But, this will be a home crowd in Hampton today. AND, the experience of Smith's players in this big game could make the difference.

The penalty bug cost Smith their only loss in week 1. Hopefully, it doesn't return today.

Last, I wish both teams well and we have no injuries.[/QUOTE]

Some stats
1st downs OS 17. SC11
Rushes-yards. OS 40-175. SC 32-86
Passing yards. OS 160. SC 102
Didn't watch the game but I followed it on here.Congrats to both teams.

Only saw the first half but Oscar Smith had enough missed opportunities in the second quarter for a whole game. Missed extra point, missed short field goal, stuffed on fourth and goal at the 1 right before half time. That one's gonna sting as bad as the Westfield losses.

Heartbroken for those kids but not bitter. The effort was there, the execution was not. Some missed opportunities make the loss tough. I am happy this team played 15 games this year. Only a few teams make it this far and fewer can do it consistently.

It is eerie how similar things can go. Back in 2015 when Ocean Lakes was ranked #6 Nationally, Smith beat them partially because of the Dolphin's poor execution in their kicking game. Same things happened too, missed field goal, missed extra point and loads of missed opportunities.

Reactions: springer76
Heartbroken for those kids but not bitter. The effort was there, the execution was not. Some missed opportunities make the loss tough. I am happy this team played 15 games this year. Only a few teams make it this far and fewer can do it consistently.

It is eerie how similar things can go. Back in 2015 when Ocean Lakes was ranked #6 Nationally, Smith beat them partially because of the Dolphin's poor execution in their kicking game. Same things happened too, missed field goal, missed extra point and loads of missed opportunities.
This kind of thing is what ended HS's season early, too.

I was not at the game and I did not watch it but I did comment last week when OS beat Forge that they better not have PAT/Kicking issues. In games like this they usually are the difference. From what I heard they missed a PAT and missed a FG. Not sure if it was just a rough two weeks for Smith but I had a feeling in a game like this against a very well coached and disciplined SOCO team that the FG/PAT issue could really hurt them. Sounds like that it did impact the game yesterday.

I was not at the game and I did not watch it but I did comment last week when OS beat Forge that they better not have PAT/Kicking issues. In games like this they usually are the difference. From what I heard they missed a PAT and missed a FG. Not sure if it was just a rough two weeks for Smith but I had a feeling in a game like this against a very well coached and disciplined SOCO team that the FG/PAT issue could really hurt them. Sounds like that it did impact the game yesterday.

Definitely, the extra point would have tied the game at 14 each, then the field goal would have given them the lead. Additionally, with 4th & 1 at the end of the first half, it's conceivable Coach Scott's decision to go for the TD instead of a go ahead field was due to the kicking game issues.

From my point of view, the kicking trio were completely out of sorts. The snapper was delivering every ball too high giving the holder fits. And the kicker was setting up way too far back. Those issues gave CF too much time and allowed 2 blocked extra points!!

Obviously, those issues lingered into Saturday's game. It's too bad, too. Those kids gave the effort to have won that game!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT