ADVERTISEMENT

Out Of Sync

Kenneth Harris

VaPreps Varsity
Jun 22, 2022
If hindsight is 20/20 what is foresight? I grew up in a military family. Between kindergarten and high school graduation, I went to school in Florida, Virginia (Petersburg!), West Germany, Massachusetts and back to Virginia. Even after my father retired I still was forced to change school districts one last time. The culture shocks were the least of my worries growing up. Some 53 after starting school and travel I can tell you without blinking that I crossed with adults connected to the American school system that were violent and worse. If I told you details I do not believe that you would believe any of it. Remember, this was the 70s and 80s. The past is a warning bell. I once posted a question on the Virginiapreps message board asking about the peculiar names of some Virginia high schools and mascots. The primary Virginiapreps.com administrator of the time accused me of breaking the rules against discussing race for simply asking about those names! Fast forward to today and not only does Gar-Field have a new name, but the little known NFL Washington Commanders and Cleveland Guardians made that name change. I don't know if you have ever heard of the NFL or not. History is being kind to one of us while that former administrator is forever on the wrong side of the tracks. My record with that person leaves me UNDEFEATED! One day we are going to look back at the current state of national high school sports and ask, "What did we do?" There is a problem. Do you know what the problem is or am I out of sync? National includes Virginia.

Reactions: Senex
64e3bbebbd98a600197b423e

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT