ADVERTISEMENT

Parry McCluer Squeezes Out Overtime Win at Riverheads

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
I don't know how he does it, but Mike Cartolaro pulled out another win over Riverheads tonight, this one requiring a last-second miracle. I am not sure about the exact numbers and it is too late tonight to look them up, but I believe he beat Riverheads either 5 or 6 times in the playoffs when John Corbett was our coach and Mike was at Altavista, and now since moving to Parry McCluer, he is 3-0 against the Big Red. But this time for long stretches of the game, it certainly looked as if the Gladiators were going to end the string.

The teams essentially traded big quarters to find themselves needing the extra session. RHS took the first quarter 15-11, although it was 15-8 before PM hit a three shortly before the horn. The Blues then clamped down on defense and held Riverheads to only two points for the first seven minutes of the second quarter. An Elijah Dunlap three finally broke the ice just before half and the teams went to locker room with PM on top 23-22.

RHS came out of the locker room fired up and took a lead that they would not relinquish until the overtime. The sophomore duo of Grant Painter and Braeson Fulton scored all 16 of RHS' points in the third quarter as the Gladiators seemed ready to take command of the game. But PM would not go away and they trimmed the lead to 38-34 after three.

Riverheads then scored the first four points of the fourth quarter to grab their largest lead of the night at 42-34. The teams then traded buckets on several consecutive possessions and the Gladiators took two more eight point leads, the last one being 46-38.

Just when it looked like they were home free, Cartolaro lit a fire under his charges and they stormed back. Riverheads helped them along by missing some crucial free throws but the Gladiators also had some just plain old bad luck as two or three times, they had second and third chances in the same possession and just could not get the shot to fall.

Despite all of that, it still looked like the Big Red would hang on when Drew Bond scored on a stickback with only 12 seconds left to make it 51-48. The Blues raced downcourt and fired up the tying bucket with about a second left to send the game into overtime.

PM opened the overtime hitting one of two foul shots to take its first lead since halftime. RHS then hit two charity tosses to take a 53-52 lead, but the Gladiators went stone cold after that, and PM reached back for that something extra as they went on to win 62-53, outscoring the Big Red 11-2 in the extra session.

It was your classic case of "It ain't over until it's over," and whatever Cartolaro said to his team, he should bottle it. The teams will meet again in the Rock the Ribbon Classic in late January so we will see if RHS can break the spell that day. Zach Claytor led all scorers tonight with 19 for the Blues, while the aforementioned Painter/Fulton duo each tallied 18, more or less their averages this season. The Gladiators will have very little time to shake this one off and get ready for what should be an ENTIRELY different game when they travel to Stuarts Draft Friday night for one of the Cougars' track meets. RHS has had as much success as anybody against SD since they went to that frantic offense so it will be interesting. The Gladiators then travel to Wilson on Saturday night....no rest for the weary!

In tonight's JV action, things were somewhat similar to the varsity as PM used a strong second quarter to mount a comeback from an early double-digit deficit. But in this case, RHS re-established control and pulled away to win 50-41.

Just to clarify, I am sure it is clear that I was talking about Mike Cartolaro's personal success against Riverheads, not necessarily that of Parry McCluer. The two schools have met plenty of times in every sport you can think of and one doesn't necessarily have a stranglehold over the other. There have been plenty of classic games between the two and Riverheads has won its fair share of events against the Blues.

Longtimer.....great write-up as usual! Do you think Parry McCluer is a contender in 1A? I am trying to gage what you think about how Riverheads played against Lee and then PM? Riverheads is going to be a lot of fun for you this season...enjoy the close nail biting games lol. I think the Gladiators will be a factor in the postseason this season...They seem to be very talented. When they're on from three...they are tough to beat.

PM will be competitive this year. They are starting 3 new people from last year and have some that moved up from jv. Their record isn't very good right now but as they say it' not how you start it' how you finish. They have lost twice to a Glenvar by small margins that has also beat Covington twice. Covington is picked by some to win the west. Riverheads will be a factor this season as well. Maybe it's because they have a PM alumni at the helm.

PM will be competitive this year. They are starting 3 new people from last year and have some that moved up from jv. Their record isn't very good right now but as they say it' not how you start it' how you finish. They have lost twice to a Glenvar by small margins that has also beat Covington twice. Covington is picked by some to win the west. Riverheads will be a factor this season as well. Maybe it's because they have a PM alumni at the helm.

PM is always competitive due to having coaches who can figure out ways to win with the talent at hand. Good coaches always do. It is always interesting when JR plays PM. I've seen years when talent wise PM was not in the same class as JR, no disrespect to the players at the time, but Fox could always seem to make it a game. I've seen some coaching (guess where) that could lose to a little league team under the right circumstances, but it wasn't at PM.

PM is always competitive due to having coaches who can figure out ways to win with the talent at hand. Good coaches always do. It is always interesting when JR plays PM. I've seen years when talent wise PM was not in the same class as JR, no disrespect to the players at the time, but Fox could always seem to make it a game. I've seen some coaching (guess where) that could lose to a little league team under the right circumstances, but it wasn't at PM.[/QUAA

Also, PM lost the 6/9 kid to knee surgery this year. That hurts their defense more than their offense.

Just his size makes a difference in the defense, he takes up a lot of space. I spoke with him at PM and he said he might possibly be able to play in Feb., i'm sure it sucks to miss out on your sr. year.

This is what you will see out of these diaper dandies for Riverheads but by seasons end they will be more consistent

This is what you will see out of these diaper dandies for Riverheads but by seasons end they will be more consistent
RH is young and they are good. PM has 3 juniors that are good and a couple of seniors to help. Look forward for RH coming to PM; hopefully it will be a good game.

FWIW in 1a boys... George Wythe is the real deal. They get their first real test against Radford tonight which will be a pretty good indicator for everyone but they’ve been crushing teams. Every win by 25+ although the schedule has been weak.

Tonight versus Radford is a big time matchup in the Championship of The Fort Chiswell Christmas tournament.

Martin and atwood both averaging well over 20ppg.

RH is young and they are good. PM has 3 juniors that are good and a couple of seniors to help. Look forward for RH coming to PM; hopefully it will be a good game.

Actually their second meeting will be on a neutral floor in the Rock the Ribbon Classic at Rockbridge High School. That balances things out because last year they played one game there and one at PM.

Actually their second meeting will be on a neutral floor in the Rock the Ribbon Classic at Rockbridge High School. That balances things out because last year they played one game there and one at PM.
The game last year at the Rock the ribbon tournament was probably the worst game either team played all year. I'm surprised they asked them back.

PM will be strong, their coach is one of the best no matter the level. I've seen him change styles and make adjustments based on his personnel - classic adage for him " he'll take his and beat yours and take yours and beat his"

Reactions: OnceAKnight
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT