ADVERTISEMENT

Parry McCluer vs. George Wythe

2kings4

VaPreps Rookie
Nov 24, 2016
Winchester,VA
This should be a good one! Should be a close game, but I see the Maroons winning the west. I feel now it is all about how much the fatigue traveling so far west will affect these east teams. Surry County is still the team to beat this year I think.

Reactions: CallMeCoach19
To much traveling it seems to me. When every team has to travel west, something is wrong with it. Anything west of Roanoke shouldn't even be considered. Can't complain though travel is part of it, a winner can win anywhere.

You are right with that.You would think that vhsl would realize that Bristol is as far south west as you can go in va.lol

You are right with that.You would think that vhsl would realize that Bristol is as far south west as you can go in va.lol

Not really. Next year they will play at UVA-Wise of which s about 50 minutes past Abingdon or 40 minutes past Bristol.

To much traveling it seems to me. When every team has to travel west, something is wrong with it. Anything west of Roanoke shouldn't even be considered. Can't complain though travel is part of it, a winner can win anywhere.

Virginia doesn't end at Roanoke as a lot of people think. You can drive another 3 hours and still be in Virginia.

Virginia doesn't end at Roanoke as a lot of people think. You can drive another 3 hours and still be in Virginia.

Everyone knows where Bristol is and where the state ends and begins, obviously that is not the point here. Bristol is not a central point of Virginia, the people from VHSL making these discussions to play the first two rounds of the State 1A tournament in Bristol definitely aren't from anywhere other then the western area of the state.

Surry County-6hours 381miles
ARGSofA&T-5:15hrs 309mi
Cumberland-4:20hrs 257mi
Riverheads-3:10hrs 210mi
Parry McCluer-3hrs 188mi
George Wythe-1hr 66mi
Eastside-1hr 55mi
Honaker-1hr 47mi

Everyone knows where Bristol is and where the state ends and begins, obviously that is not the point here. Bristol is not a central point of Virginia, the people from VHSL making these discussions to play the first two rounds of the State 1A tournament in Bristol definitely aren't from anywhere other then the western area of the state.

Surry County-6hours 381miles
ARGSofA&T-5:15hrs 309mi
Cumberland-4:20hrs 257mi
Riverheads-3:10hrs 210mi
Parry McCluer-3hrs 188mi
George Wythe-1hr 66mi
Eastside-1hr 55mi
Honaker-1hr 47mi

So are you saying that Richmond is in the central part of the state?

I think this is a good answer to it being in Richmond for the last LONG time. Now the other side can see the argument that has been made for years by West schools. Maybe a central location can found quickly.

TO RICHMOND:

For fun Thomas Walker High (states most western school)-6hr 16 min - 403 mi
Eastside -5hr 20min- 352 mi
Gate City - 5hr 18min - 348 mi
Honaker - 5hr 14min - 328 mi
Richlands - 4hr 57 min - 323 mi
Virginia High (Bristol) - 4hr 45 min - 324 mi
George Wythe - 3hr 46 min - 254 mi
Radford - 3hr 20 min - 222 min
AltaVista - 2hr 28 min - 129 mi
Lancaster - 1hr 33min - 78 mi
Colonial Beach - 1hr 20min - 71
Mathews - 1hr 19 min - 72 mi
Surry County - 1hr 4 min - 53 mi
Essex - 1hr 2 min - 45 mi

Last edited:
Anywhere from Lexington to Staunton would be the middle of Virginia. I figured you were from Virginia. Basically it is a political thing, all about who your buddy is.

As you can see from my above post of mileage to Richmond, arguments about the East travelling to Bristol are a little rediculous considering how many years our teams have had to travel to Richmond. I agree a central location would be better. But Richmond isn't the answer to make it "fair". Lynchburg, however, could be a logical choice for 1A, 2A and even 3A games. The last time I can remember Bristol hosting state games, other than QF games where winners hosted that game was 1996 (please correct me). How many times has Richmond hosted in the span since? (really I don't know but do know it's been that way for the last few) Western teams have argued this point for years but ball coach, you're right, the East gets a taste. I mean we get to host once every 20 years??? And I do mean just a taste because heck, if our teams win these two games in Bristol we would still be travelling to Richmond for the finals, so technically everyone has to travel if you keep winning. I have more of a problem with the game dates and times rather than travel honestly, as it makes it hard to have to get off work, etc....

My only issue with the traveling part for the East is that the top two seeds should play at a site closer to them. Surry girls or the Essex boys as #1 seeds shouldn't have to travel 6 hours to host a state quarterfinal game and potentially a semifinal game. Same thing as the top seeds from the West if they were to have to travel East. At this point the vhsl can't do anything about it being in Richmond for the finals but the quarters and semis have never been like that until this year

It is a very nice place and was a very expensive high school to build, I am sure at some point someone said you build it and we will play this there or whatever...

Look at the number of teams that are 1a not to many that are in the northern part of the state. That would put Lynchburg almost in the middle of most of 1a teams. Sure some teams would have to travel but don't to many would have to travel 6 hrs.The kids really don't bother them but the parents and fans that's really tough

I feel no matter where the games are played GW will come out of their side of the bracket. Then they are going to get on their bus and travel four hours to do it one more time. Teams just are not matching up with them. They have no real great talents on this team, but it is hard to beat someone that is willing to do anything it takes to win. They are big, physical, and prepared to do whatever it takes.

Look at the number of teams that are 1a not to many that are in the northern part of the state. That would put Lynchburg almost in the middle of most of 1a teams. Sure some teams would have to travel but don't to many would have to travel 6 hrs.The kids really don't bother them but the parents and fans that's really tough
30 minute travel for Altavista to lynchburg

I feel no matter where the games are played GW will come out of their side of the bracket. Then they are going to get on their bus and travel four hours to do it one more time. Teams just are not matching up with them. They have no real great talents on this team, but it is hard to beat someone that is willing to do anything it takes to win. They are big, physical, and prepared to do whatever it takes.

Didn't Radford beat them? Are you talking about the gals? Every team could have a bad game. Just saying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT