ADVERTISEMENT

Patriot-Madison scrimmage

Jul 22, 2012
I went to the scrimmage on Friday.

Patriot had the ball first and drove down the field for a TD. Had a nice mix of run/pass during that initial drive. Madison looked undersized in the front 7 and were a step slower.

Then the rain and lightning hit and stopped play for an hour or so.

When Patriot's starting defense was in there Madison could get much offense going. They had a few nice runs and a couple of positive pass plays, but didn't do much to threaten throughout the game.

Patriot had a nice TD run called back that resulted in zero points on the drive. They also had the ball first and goal twice and didn't put any points on the board. I chalk that up to poor play calling from the sidelines. Patriot's starting OL was much bigger than the front 7 of Madison. In particular, the left side of the Patriot line, which includes the big OG who is a national recruit. Instead of running behind him and the big LT, they decided to run jet sweeps and throw the ball. Coaches sometimes have a hard time staying with the strength of their team, and wanting to out think every body. They should have lined up their big TE on the left side and ran some power football and made Madison find a way to stop them. I think one of the drives was first and goal from the 3 and the other from the 10.

Patriot has a pretty solid core of skilled kids on both sides of the ball. Their QB is good enough to move around and make things happen when the pocket starts to collapse too. Their starting defense seems to be pretty solid as well, with some good speed to it and decent size along the front.

Madison scored late against the backup secondary of Patriot to tie up the game 7-7. Other than that, Madison looked below average on offense. But then again, it was only a pre-season game.

I think Patriot is 3-4TD's better than Madison. Starters vs starters was easy to see that Patriot had a clear advantage physically and athletically.

It's hard to tell. They need to be more consistent this year. They lost some good players off last years squad, but have enough talent to compete with everybody on their schedule.

Last years game with Colonial Forge to start the season was hard enough, but they had to do it with two freshman QB's as their starter was out and their backups changed positions. It went downhill quickly in that game.

They will find out Friday where they currently stand in their classification.

It's hard to tell. They need to be more consistent this year. They lost some good players off last years squad, but have enough talent to compete with everybody on their schedule.

Last years game with Colonial Forge to start the season was hard enough, but they had to do it with two freshman QB's as their starter was out and their backups changed positions. It went downhill quickly in that game.

They will find out Friday where they currently stand in their classification.

I can tell you who did look good on film. Freedom Woodbridge... and their new QB is legit also. They start with Life Christian Academy from the Richmond area and then travel to LT. Both have D-1 athletes all over the place. I think FW starts 2-0 though.

Has anyone had a chance to scope out Colonial Forge live or otherwise during either of their scrimmages? If so, thoughts? Thanks.

I heard their big time player Sarratt isn't playing against Patriot. Any truth to that?

Out of curiosity, I went looking for pics & vids of the last couple of scrimmages for Colonial Forge.

Looks like Low, their transfer QB from Riverbend is taking most of the snaps in both scrimmages. Josh Surratt is in a few pics in their first scrimmage against Forest Park but if you assume they're in chronological order, it was only about the 1st quarter. Might expect they'd take him out if not needed vs he got hurt? The thing is, he's not in a single image vs Potomac. The vids are hard to read the players #'s (Silver Numbers against a white uniform, might be uniform reg violation due to not having enough contrast against the all white uniforms!!!??)

So, if your suggesting J. Surratt is injured, it could be possible. The Fredericksburg Papers haven't posted an article about it. I hope not, he's a strong competitor.

By hit, you must mean that he swung or kicked at someone. I believe that's what'll get ya sat down for 2 games.

At least it's early in season. Forge looked tough in those scrimmages. I think they'll be OK until he gets back.

Still, it's interesting that nothing was reported about his absence.

Out of curiosity, I went looking for pics & vids of the last couple of scrimmages for Colonial Forge.

Looks like Low, their transfer QB from Riverbend is taking most of the snaps in both scrimmages. Josh Surratt is in a few pics in their first scrimmage against Forest Park but if you assume they're in chronological order, it was only about the 1st quarter. Might expect they'd take him out if not needed vs he got hurt? The thing is, he's not in a single image vs Potomac. The vids are hard to read the players #'s (Silver Numbers against a white uniform, might be uniform reg violation due to not having enough contrast against the all white uniforms!!!??)

So, if your suggesting J. Surratt is injured, it could be possible. The Fredericksburg Papers haven't posted an article about it. I hope not, he's a strong competitor.

From what I’ve been told Lowe hit a growth spurt this summer hitting about 6’2/6’3” now. He torched FP for 4 or 5 TDs. Against Potomac he had some big runs and 3 TDs. As well Forge got a WR transfer from Chancellor who will be another target to help take all eyes off Surratt. Forge will be just as good this year as last and won’t skip a beat on offense. If the defense is just as good and stay healthy they should make a deep playoff run again.

Lake Braddock might be a contender this year as well. They play Westfield this Friday and this might be one of the best games in NOVA for week 1.

From what I’ve been told Lowe hit a growth spurt this summer hitting about 6’2/6’3” now. He torched FP for 4 or 5 TDs. Against Potomac he had some big runs and 3 TDs. As well Forge got a WR transfer from Chancellor who will be another target to help take all eyes off Surratt. Forge will be just as good this year as last and won’t skip a beat on offense. If the defense is just as good and stay healthy they should make a deep playoff run again.
Awesome! Thank you.

IMO:
Westfield
OS
Manchester
Freedom Woodbridge
Ocean Lakes
Colonial Forge
In any given order... There are others that are really close as well but these are the 6 I really like.

Sort of early with it only being preseason, but I like your list. I might put Woodbridge in and drop Freedom, only because I am not yet sold on Freedom, but by about week 3-4 we will know a whole lot more.

In response to CavGrad, I think LB might eventually make it into the Top 10 in Class 6 but I don't see them as a contender-yet. If they beat WF tomorrow, or at least keep it within 14 points, then I would say they are a contender.

Reactions: OCBoy and CavsGrad
Can any of you NOVA guys make the Freedom Woodbridge vs Life Christian Game at 2pm on Saturday? I would but I can't make it up that far on Sat.

Can any of you NOVA guys make the Freedom Woodbridge vs Life Christian Game at 2pm on Saturday? I would but I can't make it up that far on Sat.
I didn't realize that was a Saturday game. If I don't head down to the 757 for the OS game, I will likely check it out.

Reactions: mbonape1
Not an ESPN game this year. Our local, Chesapeake City Channel , WCTV should have but they didn't list it. I'll keep looking & post it on the 6A thread if I find something.

There is also a Surratt that plays for Freedom Woodbridge... any coincidence that he just caught a TD pass against Life Christian and he is not on the field with the other team?

There is also a Surratt that plays for Freedom Woodbridge... any coincidence that he just caught a TD pass against Life Christian and he is not on the field with the other team?
Are you at the game? I'm here for maybe the remainder of the 3rd quarter. I've got kids with me and they and the sun are wearing me out.

Are you at the game? I'm here for maybe the remainder of the 3rd quarter. I've got kids with me and they and the sun are wearing me out.
No I was not... I saw some post on twitter updating the score

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT