18: Chantilly (24)
19: Colonial Forge (16)
20: Oakton (NR)
21: Forest Park (NR)
22: Potomac (NR)
23: Woodbridge (NR)
24: Gar-field (19)
25: Westfield (NR)

Dropped - Franklin County (#18), Osbourn (#22), South Lakes (#21), James River Midlothian (#23) Langley (#25)

Take into account,Stonebridge was missing their starting Sr QB.
I will when I do next week’s rankings! Was just mentioning because the rankings were supposed to come out Wednesday, so the game Thursday night doesn’t factor into these rankings. There’s an argument to be made though that it was still an impressive win regardless, and the defense and ST still allowed 36 pts

I'd put T. Dale up to #4-5. They handled Hermitage last night but #4 Coney put up over 200 yrds rushing against the Knights. Hermitage has a vanilla offense & zero creativity in their play calling. Their execution on critical plays just kept them 2 steps behind Dale all night.

Why Hermitage does put Coney back on safety, I'm not sure? He could have ran down every big play by Dale. That kid is special but I couldn't help thinking he was severely under utilized last night!

I'd put T. Dale up to #4-5. They handled Hermitage last night but #4 Coney put up over 200 yrds rushing against the Knights. Hermitage has a vanilla offense & zero creativity in their play calling. Their execution on critical plays just kept them 2 steps behind Dale all night.

Why Hermitage does put Coney back on safety, I'm not sure? He could have ran down every big play by Dale. That kid is special but I couldn't help thinking he was severely under utilized last night!
Depends on who they’ve got on offense otherwise; if they’ve got a bland offensive playbook perhaps having a major weapon might be the reason they can still compete at a high level. I’ve probably over-rated Patriot, but we’ll get a good chance to see tonight against FP. One could make the argument that Madison shouldn’t be in the top 8 as a 0-2, but I haven’t seen enough from them or LB to prove my previous rankings wrong. A lot of rankings this early are missing context, so we’ll see in the next few weeks how the teams do, and I would bet we’ll have a much clearer picture when district play starts (which ironically is when I started my rankings last year).

Colonial Forge beat West Potomac 35-14 tonight. It was 35-0 in the third. Took at least three WP players to tackle Hawthorne every time he carried the ball. Forge is probably a Top 10 team and Fairfax Co is pretty thin this year.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
Colonial Forge beat West Potomac 35-14 tonight. It was 35-0 in the third. Took at least three WP players to tackle Hawthorne every time he carried the ball. Forge is probably a Top 10 team and Fairfax Co is pretty thin this year.
Those are two rushed conclusions; LB beat Madison and SoCo, Robinson, and Fairfax are all undefeated, not to mention Centreville and Chantilly. In terms of that specific game; Forge's lead was created by three 40+ yard plays, and while there's an argument to be made that that's still a problem, it reflects more poorly on WP then it reflects well on Forge. West Po switched QBs in the 3rd, and after that they scored 7 and got a defensive scoop and score, while allowing Forge just 1 touchdown early in the 2nd half. Hawthorne played well, but WP could stop him 1 and 2 on one up the middle most of the time, as long as they knew it was coming (which they had trouble figuring out). They stopped the passing game almost entirely, and the O and D line is the fundamentally weakest part of the WP team. I don't think that game shows anything from Forge, and it seems similar to the Oregon-Georgia game, where one team is good and the other team seems completely unprepared on both the game and season level. Key games for Forge to prove me wrong are a winning record coming into Mountain View on 10/14. West Po will get a bye week and a wild card in the rival Mount Vernon to figure out whether they can remedy issues and enter the districts 4-1. From there, the real test lies in the "SEC of VA" Patriot District.

Those are two rushed conclusions; LB beat Madison and SoCo, Robinson, and Fairfax are all undefeated, not to mention Centreville and Chantilly. In terms of that specific game; Forge's lead was created by three 40+ yard plays, and while there's an argument to be made that that's still a problem, it reflects more poorly on WP then it reflects well on Forge. West Po switched QBs in the 3rd, and after that they scored 7 and got a defensive scoop and score, while allowing Forge just 1 touchdown early in the 2nd half. Hawthorne played well, but WP could stop him 1 and 2 on one up the middle most of the time, as long as they knew it was coming (which they had trouble figuring out). They stopped the passing game almost entirely, and the O and D line is the fundamentally weakest part of the WP team. I don't think that game shows anything from Forge, and it seems similar to the Oregon-Georgia game, where one team is good and the other team seems completely unprepared on both the game and season level. Key games for Forge to prove me wrong are a winning record coming into Mountain View on 10/14. West Po will get a bye week and a wild card in the rival Mount Vernon to figure out whether they can remedy issues and enter the districts 4-1. From there, the real test lies in the "SEC of VA" Patriot District.
Did you just suggest that the Patriot District is the SEC of VA. The SEC wins championships. If anything I would call the colonial region the SEC of VA because highland springs will most likely win 5A state championship and Varina will most likely win 4a state championship. When was the last time a team from Patriot District won a state championship.

Did you just suggest that the Patriot District is the SEC of VA. The SEC wins championships. If anything I would call the colonial region the SEC of VA because highland springs will most likely win 5A state championship and Varina will most likely win 4a state championship. When was the last time a team from Patriot District won a state championship.
In football? South County in 2019. I called them the SEC of VA because it's got the highest level of competition across all teams in 6A and NOVA, and one of the highest in VA. You've got recent state champs and 2021 #4 South County; Lake Braddock, who took down Madison in a game that wasn't as close as the score suggests; Robinson, who actually beat SoCo to the regular season crown last year and is just as dominant this year; Fairfax, with 4-star Penn State LB commit Tony Rojas; West Springfield, who are perennial upset contenders for any of the other four schools; West Potomac, the Texas A&M of the Patriot District (Wildly inconsistent, but having great fans and the potential to upset any team on any day); and Alexandria City, who, while having just an okay team in recent years comparatively, always finishes with a winning record and is good enough to win the National district anyway. Point being, take any of these teams and put them in any of the other districts in NOVA or any of the other 6A (and even some of the RVA and 757) districts and they will easily challenge for a title, but instead they can end up 5th in the division due to the level of competition. I don't think a singular district has more control of a playoff structure. Last year in 6C, 7 of the 8 teams qualified for the playoffs, and if you put them in region D, 6 of 8 teams qualify, with only Madison and Centreville (who would have qualified 6th instead of 2nd) is left. Region B is the same, with 6 of 8, and 6A is 5 of 8, with the 6th best team in the Patriot district missing the 3rd place in all of Region A by 0.13 points. Point being, while sure, they don't have the O Smith or the Highland Springs or the Alabama, the fact that the competition is so high and there are always at least 5-6 of the teams in the top 25 (in this post, there's 7) makes it the most high-level competitive district in the state. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge on how they do it down in Richmond, but speaking of specific districts, we'll use the Capital district as an example. Sure, Varina and Highland Springs are some of the best teams in the state and even the country, but Henrico is average, Atlee and Armstrong are bad, Hanover's pretty good and Patrick Henry seems more to me as an upset threat than a strong presence on their own. You've got about 3 and a half strong teams, and then the rest are mediocre. I'll take any team outside of Varina and HS and run them through a schedule that say, West Springfield has to go through (FFX, SoCo, Robinson, WP and AC; one of the weaker schedules) and see how well they fare. The only one that I'd bet on having a winning record would be Hanover. Let's then take Fairfax, who was 4 out of 8 in the district last year, and I'd bet on a win for every game except for a 10 pt. max loss to Varina and a obvious blowout to HS. It's not about having Georgia, it's about having Georgia, Alabama, Texas A&M, Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, Ole Miss, LSU, etc.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT