ADVERTISEMENT

Players in Foul Trouble

falconhead

VaPreps Rookie
Nov 18, 2003
Why do officials come over to the home scorebook and ask who is in foul trouble during the second half? Are they instructed to do this or is it just done by certain referees? I have seen games where shortly after an official has done this then a player with four fouls picks up a questionable foul and fouls out.

It was done at a few of the games in which I was running the clock. I wanted to ask the official why he was asking -- out of my own curiosity -- but figured he would take it the wrong way.

Maybe he (official) wanted to have a check in case a player received his 5th foul and the book didn't inform the clock keeper before play started.

Originally posted by falconhead:
I have seen games where shortly after an official has done this then a player with four fouls picks up a questionable foul and fouls out.

Actually, the exact OPPOSITE is true. If I know a player has 4 fouls, then I want to be sure his 5th foul is a solid call if I have to make it. We don't want to send players to the bench with a questionable call.

Watched a game last night. Great game. Very well officiated. THe announcer reported the number of fouls on each player. I think six to seven players ended with 4 fouls. No one fouled out.

I would hope that an official would not look to foul out any player - just call the game the way they see it regardless of who the foul may be on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT