Bullis vs St. Stephen's & St. Agnes
Covenant vs Christchurch
Hargrave Military vs St. Anne's-Belfield
Liberty Christian vs Fork Union
Massanutten Military vs Fishburne Military
North Cross vs Isle of Wight
Quantico vs Roanoke Catholic
St. Christopher's vs Paul VI
Woodberry Forest vs Friendship Collegiate (D.C.)

Saturday
Benedictine vs Bishop Ireton
Broadwater vs Portsmouth Christian
DeMatha vs Bishop O'Connell
Nansemond-Suffolk vs Norfolk Academy
Potomac vs Maret
Sidwell Friends vs St. John Paul the Great
St. Albans vs Episcopal
St. James vs Flint Hill
Trinity Episcopal vs Blue Ridge

1587531.jpg

This post was edited on 10/6 10:49 PM by wgarlick

Re: Atlantic Shores vs. HRA game cancelled

Report before last week said they were down to about 18 dressed players, and then they lost 3 or 4 last week against GCA. I guess the injuries have taken a toll on the already undermanned roster

Is there a financial penalty for forfeiting a game? I understand a school's desire to protect its players. However, it seems unfair to the other team and it seems to happen quite frequently in the lower divisions.

Not that I'm aware of. And why should there be? Being punished for wanting to protect children? Your comment is ignorant at best. I'm sure no coach ever wants to forfeit a game. They coach because they're competitive and love football...not for the money. They should be applauded for putting children's safety ahead of a chance to save face, not monetarily punished. It sends a message that money trumps the safety of children. Grow up.

Perhaps you missed the part of my comment where I stated that I understood a team's desire to protect its players. If you have a school the size of HRA with no JV team and you end up only dressing 18 kids on game night there are deeper problems.

The whole ASCS vs. HRA cancellation aside, looks like there will be some great games (at least on paper) this weekend:

Cov vs. CCS (winner gets a big boost in Div III seedings)
LCA vs. FUMA (classic Div I match-up)
NCS vs. IWA (two hard-nosed teams squaring off)
Benedictine vs. B. Ireton

Any other notable games out there?

Also, I don't think BroddyD was suggesting the coaches be fined for forfeiting. He was suggesting that, when a visiting team forfeits, the home team misses out on revenue they would have gotten from hosting the game. Forfeits are usually done too late to schedule a replacement opponent and football games are pretty big moneymakers for schools. In that situation, it might be appropriate for the forfeiting school to offer some kind of compensation to the opponent. I'm not sure I agree with that idea, but I recognize that losing a home football or basketball game can be a HUGE drain on an athletic budget.

In this case, however, it was going to be a home game for HRA, so there wouldn't be a point in imposing a financial penalty for the forfeit; they're the ones who are losing out on the revenue by forfeiting.

Woodberry Forest is playing Eastern Christian Academy

Friendship Collegiate cancelled.

If it were a college game or even a big time high school game I'd agree but these private school 9 times out of 10 let their students and parents in free (since they pay so much to go there already) and charge maybe $5 for visitors which not many come. A few hundred bucks? They spend more than that turning the lights on. It's not a money-making venture at this level by any stretch.

There are some private schools that do make a lot of money on football game gates, concessions, and athletic apparel. And some of these are on the DIV level.

I am going to give HRA the benefit of the doubt… They only had 14 players.

Not!

You put together your best 14 man team, travel to Shores, have your coach call the Shores coach and tell him how thin you are. Watch your team give up four quick touchdowns and then play against their second or third string. Shores has a 50 man roster with tons of 8th and 9th graders that would love the opportunity to play.

Two seasons ago, North Cross opened the season with 14 players and traveled to Charlotte Latin first game, and lost by twenty. Should have been beaten by 40 with a running clock in the second half but instead, they came back with a degree of confidence that nothing could overwhelm them.

The lesson is that you live up to the commitments you have made.

VISAA needs to penalize teams that forfeit. Make their entire school ineligible for all playoffs that season. Let the girls volleyball team that is going to states force the boys football team to honor their commitments.

Well I agree that you should try to gut it out and play, even if you forfeit and make it a scrimmage. I am not willing to penalize other teams from the school though. Playing short handed is not fun but my daughter pays on a fledgling field hockey and lax team that last year had just enough players to field a team, most games. They even "borrowed" players a few times to get enough to go on the field. Get on the field and play, a forfeit doesn't help anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT