ADVERTISEMENT

Question for NNDman or any other Northern Necker

I'm not sure if they've ever been to the state semifinals, but the Bowdler led team lost in the regional semifinals to Surry his senior year.

Got beat by Drewry Mason in state finals in 82 Coach Blackley was head coach in basketball and baseball and took his team to finals in spring of 81 in baseball so he coached in both all star games in same year. Only man ever to do that!

Reactions: uvacavs1
Correct. Rapp's only other semifinal trip was in '82 (when only 4 teams reached the state tourney). They beat Appalachia in the semis before bowing to Drewry Mason in the title game. In a bit of trivia, all but one NND member school's boys' basketball teams have reached the state title game with Rappahannock and Essex the only teams without the ultimate trophy. Essex is the only one yet to reach the title game. (note: Colonial Beach was in the Tidewater District the year the won it (2009).

Last edited:
Reactions: uvacavs1
Also, yes the Bowdler senior year team lost to Surry in the regional semifinals. Surry had a lefty, who I believe was Joey Ellis, who could fill it up.

Not sure if I missed post (had club volleyball tournament this weekend -local Neck and Middle Peninsula girls kicking some city/suburb a-- again).

What day and time does Rapp play Surry? Are the games at VCU now for the final four?

As I mentioned, I was there as a youngster the last time the Raiders went in 82 under the ole ball coach Blackley.

Rapp plays Surry on Tuesday at Sussex. The Surry girls play Riverheads at 5:30 and the boys game follows that. Unfortunately only the championship games are played at VCU now. The 1A championship is Saturday at 1pm.

Rapp plays Surry on Tuesday at Sussex. The Surry girls play Riverheads at 5:30 and the boys game follows that. Unfortunately only the championship games are played at VCU now. The 1A championship is Saturday at 1pm.

Thanks for the info. That’s right - it is a bummer that they changed the format again (maybe last year or so).

Reactions: kwhs95fan
It sounds like RAPP played Surry well the other day - I was told a late tech on the Raiders may have cost them that game. Do not know details.

Also, Riverheads confirmed the blueprint on how to beat Surry. Surry is not the juggernaut that was advertised it seems.

No offense to anyone but this is a state game - the refs need to come from outside the Tri Rivers or Neck area. It should and needs to be confirmed before game is played (IMO).

Reactions: Red_phx82
To piggy back on my good friend NNDman's answer:

Surry also had Shernard Newby on that team with Joey who later played DB for Virginia. Dorrell Warren the Region A POY on that team and Patrick Barnes-later the AD at Surry and High Jumper John Stringfield rounded out the starting five. Best team I've seen at the "A" level to never win it all. (And believe me, I know.) They were sophomores when they beat Bowdler and the Raiders. Arcadia knocked out Surry when the group was Seniors.

Also a good time for me to remember the coach of those great Surry teams, the late Joe Ellis-Joey's dad. Class act and I would imagine still missed greatly by folks down in Region A. Won the state title in the last game he ever coached and died just a couple of weeks later. Wife Doris wrote a book about his life and sold it at the Clinic some years ago. If anyone gets a chance to get it, I would. It's a great read! Called "Going Out A Champion".

Last edited:
To piggy back on my good friend NNDman's answer:

Surry also had Shernard Newby on that team with Joey who later played DB for Virginia. Dorrell Warren the Region A POY on that team and Patrick Barnes-later the AD at Surry and High Jumper John Stringfield rounded out the starting five. Best team I've seen at the "A" level to never win it all. (And believe me, I know.) They were sophomores when they beat Bowdler and the Raiders, Freshman when they almost knocked out B.A. Walker and Nandua in the Region semis at Lancaster. Arcadia knocked out Surry when the group was Seniors.

Also a good time for me to remember the coach of those great Surry teams, the late Joe Ellis-Joey's dad. Class act and I would imagine still missed greatly by folks down in Region A. Won the state title in the last game he ever coached and died just a couple of weeks later. Wife Doris wrote a book about his life and sold it at the Clinic some years ago. If anyone gets a chance to get it, I would. It's a great read! Called "Going Out A Champion".
Am I reading this right? I know for a fact that the same group og Surrys players that beat Bowdlers team didnt play BA Walkers team

Reactions: st8chmpLB
Bowdler graduated in 95. Walker graduated in like 03. Maybe a different Surry team. I remember BA Walker as a freshman taking undefeated and eventual state champion, New Kent to overtime in the regional semifinals before losing.

As I recall one of those Arcadia teams upset a pretty good K&Q team in the region semifinals at LHS. Is that the same one that beat Surry?

No, I don't think so. Arcadia beat Surry in game 1 at LHS in '98 and W&L beat Middlesex in the nightcap. I remember Arcadia beating K&Q, but not in '98.

Correct me if I'm wrong! Years are really starting to run together. Didn't know until yesterday that they are making a movie about Joe Ellis. What a great human being!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT