ADVERTISEMENT

Game Recap Region A Round up: Defenses Completely Take Spotlight

TheSel2

VaPreps All Region
Staff
Apr 29, 2003
Tigers-1.jpg

Essex coach Todd Jones defense went toe-to-toe all night but miscues were the difference.

TAPPAHANNOCK- The big match maybe tonight on pay-per-view but this football game was a heavy weight fight going 12 rounds. Sussex Central and Essex played an unexpected defensive battle where both offense couldn’t make it into the redzone all night. Both teams were full of offensive talent but there is no substitute for great defense.

Essex looked good on their first possession as quarterback Tamaje Jones looked poised and delivered some good strikes. Sophomores Avante Blanks and Takeyo Day looked promising and shifty but the drive would stall outside the Sussex 30. Later in the half things would not go as plan.

Jones would be face constant pressure from the Tiger front and was force to get rid of the ball or take a sack. The Trojans looked to have an advantage out wideouts with the Tiger freshmen corners but their credibility was quickly validated in the grudge match with 3:05 lefty before halftime Malik Lankford would make a perfect read and race 45-yards untouched for the touchdown. The Tigers would get the conversion and led 8-0.

Essex offensive issues with handoffs and ball security after impact plagued them all night in a way no one could have seem coming.

Tigers-4.jpg

KJ Dameron (Essex) wouldn't go far as Pha'Shard Harris and the Tiger defense stayed ready.

Sussex Central offense will self destruct from getting the plays too late onto the field and no sense of urgency to snap would lead to several delay of game penalties that helped kill promising drives.

Ricardo Henson came up big for the Trojan defense making big stops including a qb sack that stopped a strong Sussex Central drive early in the 4th. The Tigers were strong enough to muscle through enough yards to shorten the game. Essex still had one last chance for a drive but approaching the Sussex Central 35 and they would cough up the ball up giving the Tigers the ball. Clyde Edmond, Imir Clark, and Trevon Hatch would grind it out to seal the victory!

Tigers-2.jpg

Sussex Central's line and rushers took what was given to capture the road win.

Hatch would lead all rushers with 19 carries for 62 yards and was an enforcer on defense. Pha’Shard Harris made 3 grabs on the night.

The third rank Tigers (1-0) will have their home opener next week when Lancaster comes to town. Essex (0-1) will go on the road to rebound against the Franklin Broncos for their home opener.

SUSSEX CENTRAL 0 8 0 0 - 8

ESSEX 0 0 0 0 - 0

SC- Lankford 45 yard int return (Barrow recovery in the endzone)

REGION A SCORES

Charles City 28 Cumberland 18......Robert Dobson Jr. had 148 yards and a touchdown to lead CC.
Chincoteague 27 Windsor 6
Gretna 20 Brunswick 14
Poquoson 23 Southampton 7...Big second quarter by the Islanders down the Indians.
Prince Edward County 52 King William 46
Rappahannock 50 Nandua 7
Washington & Lee 26 Middlesex 23....The Eagles pull it out in overtime.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Anyone missing Fulks yet? Jk

I do have an enormous level of respect for Sussex. That football team is a gem for that whole community. It stunk losing to them in the playoffs back in my time, but you had to respect what they had going on!

Reactions: 20Bronco06
Good cover. Im surprised Essex didn't spread it out and go deep.

You have to give your qb time to throw deep, and that is something you wont get against Sussex D. Not to mention Sussex had a very good secondary, and had several ints and dropped several more.

Well done Sel2, great pic of Coach Jones!

I had debated between the Northumberland game at Surry and the big Essex v #3 Sussex game in Tappahannock. Since the NHS game was not played last night, I'm certainly glad that I checked out the Essex game.

Lastly, since you mentioned the big fight tonight, even with all the insanity surrounding the fight, it is quite intriguing indeed.

Even though the experts say the fighting Irishman has no chance, I will pull for the "crazy" Conor McGregor, a true Irish folk hero. From what I understand, McGregor was dirt poor just five years ago...Whatever happens tonight, Conor McGregor wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT