ADVERTISEMENT

Regional Brackets and state championship prediction

Jan 6, 2021
Trying to get some chatter going -

My 2 top teams have to play in the first round of the region C tournament - PM vs Auburn on Wed night. I'm picking PM just because the number of games they played although it looks like Millirons is starting to hit his groove. PM vs George Wythe for a spot in the championship and I'll stick with PM. I'm picking Grundy to come out of region D and losing to PM in the state semis.
I'm sticking with Altavista as my Region B pick, their guards are pretty quick and active. As for Region A, Mathews should play WP for the region championship. Mathews won the 1st contest and WP crushed them the 2nd time. However, the huge layoff because of Covid probably hurts WP which will have to play at Mathews. Altavista beats Mathews in the semis and then loses in a low scoring affair to PM.

I trust you are aware that Altavista would have to make a trip to Mathews for your scenario to come true. If I understand correctly, the Region B winner is pre-determined to be the one to travel for the semis and maybe even the finals. Now granted the semi-final might not, or at least should not, be on Mathews' home court and also the limited number of fans should still be in place, but yet it would still be a "road game" for Altavista. The bottom line is that this whole season has flown by and will appear to be over before it even gets started. Football will then probably have the same feel.

In Region A, I'll go with West Point despite the long layoff. It's scary to think how good they will really be. Their top players are freshmen

In Region B, I'll go with Altavista

In Region C, I think the two best teams in the state are playing on Wednesday night. Toss up, but I'm going with Auburn

In Region D, it's wide open. On a hunch, I'm going with Twin Springs.

West Point over Altavista in the semis and Auburn over Twin Springs

Auburn wins it all.

Just my opinion as I admittedly have not followed as closely as I normally do and really have had a hard time getting into it this year.

Reactions: Mike777VSP
Playing at home will definitely help Mathews as you tend to make a few more shots at home. Mathews is good at crashing the offensive glass. However, I think Altavista has just enough size to keep them off the glass and quality guards that are aggressive defensively and will lead to some easy buckets for them. WP is easily the most talented 1-5 but there isn't a lot of depth and they are all young - next year may be there year. They have some really good young guards that can shoot it as well as potential small D1 6-8 kid that can shoot it and clean up the glass.

I've watched a few region D games via the internet and think whoever comes out of Region C will be our state champion.

Reactions: Mike777VSP
Excited to watch WP host a regional tournament doubleheader on Wednesday via Facebook. Hoping the Pointers cruise to the semis!

I am with kwhs95fan, it has been tough to get back into sports and know what is going on during these crazy shutdowns etc.

So sound like West Point is really good this year and has lots of potential.

What is good about them? Size? 3 point Shooters? Chemistry?

West Point's opponent is Northumberland. NHS has only played like 3 games this season. I have not been able to see them in action besides the 1st game on Facebook (hard to get a good feel for the talent level).

West Point may be the better team indeed. I really have no idea what to expect.

WP02alum,

Could you please post the link to stream the game live on Facebook (whenever you know it)? I will try to log in and watch.

Thanks brother.

Reactions: WP02alum
WP02alum,

Could you please post the link to stream the game live on Facebook (whenever you know it)? I will try to log in and watch.

Thanks brother.

Will do! I’m not on FB myself, but my sister is supposed to send it to me.

Reactions: uvacavs1
If Mathews plays to its potential, especially on the defensive end, then they will be a very tough out....

I see Kameron Johnson & CC are headed your way. I know very little about CC outside of his prolific scoring. Seems like it will be a good initial test to see where that MHS defense stands.

On the girls side, I see Riverheads winning the A/B half of the state and playing either George Wythe or Honaker in the state championship. I think the state champion will come from the C/D half of the state, which is pretty much the norm in girls basketball.

I would love to see my Lady Gladiators win a state title after coming close several times before. But if they do, it will be a shame if it comes in such a strange year and they have to win it away from home with practically no one there to see it happen. But it is what it is........

On the girls side, I see Riverheads winning the A/B half of the state and playing either George Wythe or Honaker in the state championship. I think the state champion will come from the C/D half of the state, which is pretty much the norm in girls basketball.
I’m going with Honaker this year simply because 1. GW lost the Betts kid to transfer who was the best player on there team last year. She averaged about 20ppg. Was district POY Regional POY and 1st Team All State. It’s hard to replace that.
2. GW is not strong at all this year. If u look at there schedule yea they haven’t lost a game but they haven’t played in good competition this far.
I’m taking Honaker in a landslide. They’ve scrimmaged each other earlier this year and Honaker I believe won by 25+. If the Betts kid was still there I would say yes GW definitely has a chance, but with a player of that caliber leaving the program GW doesn’t have a shot at all.
Honaker in landslide

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT