ADVERTISEMENT

Richlands Transfers

maroons1

VaPreps Varsity
Sep 28, 2004
Who else has transferred to Richlands other than Tazewell's all region RB Nick Blankenship?

Looks like Codie Howie from Riverview (WV). Saw a recent photo of the team on facebook and it looked like Howie was in the picture He's a big athletic receiver....and there was a rumor going around that they were trying to get him. They also have the Farris kid from Graham, who was their best receiver, he transferred last season but was injured for most of the season.

They seem to get one or two good athletes transfer in every year.

Looks like Codie Howie from Riverview (WV). Saw a recent photo of the team on facebook and it looked like Howie was in the picture He's a big athletic receiver....and there was a rumor going around that they were trying to get him. They also have the Farris kid from Graham, who was their best receiver, he transferred last season but was injured for most of the season.

They seem to get one or two good athletes transfer in every year.
Sounds like the southwest allstars..lol

Sounds like they are the Ocean Lakes of AA football. I wonder if they will ever be investigated like Ocean Lakes was.

Sounds like they are the Ocean Lakes of AA football. I wonder if they will ever be investigated like Ocean Lakes was.
Probably won't matter if they are. All they did to Ocean Lakes was a slap on the wrist. Pulaski co just about got the death penalty for showing some freshmen linemen how to line up in the field house in the off season and OL was using illegal players and hardly nothing happened.

Probably won't matter if they are. All they did to Ocean Lakes was a slap on the wrist. Pulaski co just about got the death penalty for showing some freshmen linemen how to line up in the field house in the off season and OL was using illegal players and hardly nothing happened.

That is a misunderstanding of the OL situation, imo.

There were no charges that the players were illegal (out of zone). OL was hit for putting undue pressure on the players to get them to transfer / move into zone.

May be six of one, half a dozen of another to some people, but the wrong choice of wording leads to incorrect allegations.

Reactions: gwb16

There were no charges that the players were illegal (out of zone). OL was hit for putting undue pressure on the players to get them to transfer / move into zone.

May be six of one, half a dozen of another to some people, but the wrong choice of wording leads to incorrect allegations.

Sounds like recruiting to me...

The kids that Richland's get don't have to move to the attendance zone, if they are in county transfers, they get away with it by joining JROTC. Since Richland's is the only High School in the county that offers JROTC, the kids don't have to live in the attendance zone if they go to another county school. As for the out of county transfers....they get a Richland's address....

Last edited:
Reactions: The G-Man
That's because somebody wanted to be sure that the VHSL came down hard on PC. A video was sent, concrete indisputable proof....that's what it will take to get anybody in hot water.

Not to pick on Richland's here, because it happens all over the place. Who could blame a kid to go to a winner if they have a choice and a legitimate way to do so within the rules (like the JROTC thing...). Its when coach's approach kids and tell them they are more likely to get recognized or get a scholarship...that's when the line has been crossed, like at OL...

Last edited:
Reactions: The G-Man and gwb16
That's because somebody wanted to be sure that the VHSL came down hard on PC. A video was sent, concrete indisputable proof....that's what it will take to get anybody in hot water.

Not to pick on Richland's here, because it happens all over the place. Who could blame a kid to go to a winner if they have a choice and a legitimate way to do so within the rules (like the JROTC thing...). Its when coach's approach kids and tell them they are more likely to get recognized or get a scholarship...that's when the line has been crossed, like at OL...
Pulaski got in trouble because of a class that had been in place for 30 years and the fact the Principal / AD and others lied to the VHSL and wanted to throw Coach Turner and 2 other coaches under the bus. When Coach Turner refused to lie and fire the other coaches the administration made it worse.

Reactions: pcken
Mance usually don't get out coached by the other coach imo. I just sometimes can't get out of his own way sometimes... example the union game last year!

With all of the wind blowing out of Richlands about this years team already, apparently they have put together a championship team, according to some. I guess time will tell when they reach the playoffs and match up against some other talent rich teams.

^^^^
They scrimmage Belfry, KY again in their jamboree a month from now.

If Richlands is going to be a title contender you should get a grasp watching how they handle Belfry. Belfry has won two straight 3A Championships in Kentucky and will have another very strong team in 2015. The past couple years Belfry was clearly the class of the scrimmage.. if Richlands or Gate City equate themselves as equals it will be a pretty good omen they are going to factor heavily into the title picture.

My philosophy is you can't tell a lot from who "wins" or "loses" a scrimmage, but you can tell a whole lot about what potential a team has. Especially in a 10 play scrimmage and heavy subbing.

You can see the building blocks to a team very clearly though:

Size
Team Speed
Athleticism
How they react and flow
Can they make plays
Depth

If Team A outclasses their opponent in every aspect there is a strong chance that either Team A is going to be really good..or that Team B simply is not a truly great team.
If both teams play each other tight, but neither team passes the "looks test" of the factors above it is a pretty safe bet neither team is Championship Quality
If both teams play each other tight, and both teams look impressive, they are probably going to both be good teams.

Prime example, the first year Belfry came to the scrimmage they literally manhandled Richlands in every sense. Belfry had a great year, Richlands had an average to mediocre year by their standards.. Last year, it was clear Belfry was the class of the field..but Richlands hung tougher.. made a few plays.. didn't get blown off the ball as bad. Belfry had a great year, Richlands had a pretty good year. If Richlands equates as an equal or better in 2015 then watch out! If Belfry blows them up it may be far fetched to expect they are a top tier title contender.

The kids that Richland's get don't even move to the attendance zone, if they are in county transfers, they get away with it by joining JROTC. Since Richland's is the only High School in the county that offers JROTC, the kids don't have to live in the attendance zone if they go to another county school. As for the out of county transfers....they get a Richland's address....

I know for a fact that both players who are now on this team moved here. Their parents now live in the town of Richlands. We do not go out and actively look for people to come here. There is a winning tradition here, the best facilities in the area, and a rabid fan base that makes kids want to come here. So long as they live in the town limits, they are fine. And they both do.

Reactions: 2027
Like I said, they have the athletes. You don't have to worry about talent, they made sure of that. Question mark will come down coaching these kids up. I don't doubt they will be good, don't need a scrimmage to tell me that with the talent they had come in. However, can they beat a well coached team in the semis or finals. I say "no".
They had a much more talented team than Poquoson in 2010, but lost.
Mance usually don't get out coached by the other coach imo. I just sometimes can't get out of his own way sometimes... example the union game last year!

This may be true. I only see Richlands once and maybe twice a year. I guess I get my opinion from the last couple of playoff games that I went to watch them play in.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a Graham fan and if Graham doesn't make it, I would love to see an area team make it far and maybe win it all. It would be great for Tazewell Co. if Richlands won. Of course Graham got out-coached in 2001. Graham was loaded with talent that year and lost the state title to a team that was better prepared and better coached for that Game.

Graham abandoned what went well for them all year long too early in that game and it cost them dearly.

My philosophy is you can't tell a lot from who "wins" or "loses" a scrimmage, but you can tell a whole lot about what potential a team has. Especially in a 10 play scrimmage and heavy subbing.

You can see the building blocks to a team very clearly though:

Size
Team Speed
Athleticism
How they react and flow
Can they make plays
Depth

If Team A outclasses their opponent in every aspect there is a strong chance that either Team A is going to be really good..or that Team B simply is not a truly great team.
If both teams play each other tight, but neither team passes the "looks test" of the factors above it is a pretty safe bet neither team is Championship Quality
If both teams play each other tight, and both teams look impressive, they are probably going to both be good teams.

Prime example, the first year Belfry came to the scrimmage they literally manhandled Richlands in every sense. Belfry had a great year, Richlands had an average to mediocre year by their standards.. Last year, it was clear Belfry was the class of the field..but Richlands hung tougher.. made a few plays.. didn't get blown off the ball as bad. Belfry had a great year, Richlands had a pretty good year. If Richlands equates as an equal or better in 2015 then watch out! If Belfry blows them up it may be far fetched to expect they are a top tier title contender.

You make some good points.

I know that Richlands will be good this year, no need to wait for a scrimmage for me. They are returning a ton of starters and have added a couple of outstanding transfers.

Again, I'm interested to see how they handle a late stage playoff situation, if they get to that point.

I'd be thrilled if they did well or even won it all. Of course, I'd be more thrilled if the G-Men made a re-surgence this year and made a run.

I know for a fact that both players who are now on this team moved here. Their parents now live in the town of Richlands. We do not go out and actively look for people to come here. There is a winning tradition here, the best facilities in the area, and a rabid fan base that makes kids want to come here. So long as they live in the town limits, they are fine. And they both do.

I think it still would have been within the rules if they didn't move within town limits. I may be wrong on this, but I don't think so.

Not wrong there. RHS' zone goes past Raven to the Buchanan line, past Doran to the Russell line, through Jewell Ridge to the WV line, past SVCC to the Russell line, and past Pounding Mill to somewhere around the golf course. Quite a bit more than just the city limits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT