ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond Gamers - State Semifinal Edition

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Fooled you didn’t I? Last week I deemed the segment the final of the 2015 season but we got one more, albeit abbreviated. I’ve always done the Gamers with three standout players, a sort of gold, silver and bronze if you will. That said, with just three teams in play this weekend, the pool was drastically slimmed down. So this week and this week only there will not be the usual three or even two for that matter, just one…

PLAYERS OF THE WEEK

Special Teams Gamers

Tristan Irvin, Hopewell
The Blue Devils season came to an end Saturday at the hands of Lord Botetourt and the Blue Devils kicker when called upon did all he could to help his team out. Be it a 21-yard field goal in the second quarter to keep the Blue Devils in the game early or two PAT’s as the Blue Devils were attempting to comeback, Irvin delivered when his team need him the most.

Defensive Gamers

K’Von Wallace, Highland Springs
For a second straight game Wallace came through for the Springers on defense… This go around it was an interception once again but not for a score but rather to prevent a score. Indian River appeared as if they were about to strike with a touchdown, had they done so it would have been huge for the Braves but instead K’Von Wallace intercepted the pass in the endzone ending the threat and the best chance the Braves had to score in the second half of their state semifinal game.

Receiving Gamers

Brian Bullock, Jr., Thomas Dale
The Knights wide receiver might not have reached the endzone like in past games but on a day where the Knights offense didn’t have their customary game, Bullock did his best with a 52-yard receiving game. The Knights QB connected with Bullock on three passes for an average of 17.3 yards per catch. Not a bad night despite the loss. Bullock did all he could aside from reaching the endzone.

Rushing Gamers

DJ Anderson, Highland Springs
The Springers running back had a solid game, overshadowed a bit by his teammates bigger games. Anderson scored the first touchdown of the game for the Springers, a 6-yard touchdown run on the opening drive of the game. Those six yards was just a fraction of the 120 yards Anderson finished the day with on 20 carries. Against a defense like Indian River you need a balanced offense and Anderson definitely delivered on his end.

Passing Gamers

Juwan Carter, Highland Springs
A week ago the Springer quarterback threw his first and only touchdown of the day at the most critical moment to win the game. This week the Springer quarterback had a few more touchdowns, three to be exact as he threw for 200 yards completing 17 of his 25 passes. With touchdown passes of 15, 34 and 40 yards, two of those to Greg Dortch, Carter had himself quite a day, made all the better by getting to play for a state title on Saturday.

All-Around Gamers

Greg Dortch, Highland Springs
The Wake Forest commit impressed on Saturday as he helped lead his team to the 5A Final. “Dortch the Torch” as he is known in some circles did just what he always has done as a Springer, make plays and put his team in position to win. On Saturday Dortch not only scored two touchdowns through the air but he also returned a kickoff for a score! In a 35 point win, 18 of those points belonged to Dortch with 144 yards of offense! The Springers are going places and so is Dortch for that matter.

Many who read these articles attend games on Friday nights, sometimes Saturdays as well. I do my best to scour papers, talk to coaches, etc… to get nominees for the Richmond Gamers but I encourage fans to get involved as well. If you see a player who stands out at your game, send me who they are and what they did as fan interaction is more than welcomed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News